profile for microsoft edge ( for netflix and amazon video)

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Intelliremote application.

profile for microsoft edge ( for netflix and amazon video)

Postby cybmole » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:45 am

i have taken to using edge as my video streaming browser, as it supports full HD.
after much googling, I was able to make a desktop short cut - (it has a wierd gobbldeygook program launch location), nake netflix the home page, and superimpose a netflix icon...
but I now want to make an inteliiremote profile.
so
1. how do I set intelliremote to detect edge
2. where do I find the keyboard shortcuts to program it for amazon video
3. ditto for netflix

I know these 2 are different but hopefully there;s a solution that will work for both - otherwise I guess I use firefox instead for on service and start over !

PS edge is here
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge.
or
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
I have assigned it to a button as an application event , done learn code, apply change , but neither option works

more googling and testing: this works from a CMD prompt
To start Microsoft Edge browser from command line use
explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

but copy paste as an application event - does not work

update 2 - this worked but dunno why !
(from google)

Start -> Run -> shell:appsfolder , right-click Edge, create shortcut (on desktop), rename shortcut to "edge", move to C: folder.

then selected that as the application event and saved
cybmole

Re: profile for microsoft edge ( for netflix and amazon video)

Postby Melloware » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:22 am

What about this?

http://edgetalk.net/how-to-launch-microsoft-edge-from-run-or-command-prompt/

You could try this Script Event instead of Application Event.

Code: Select all
CommandLine("start", "microsoft-edge:")
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby cybmole » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:13 am

I think your link is similar to one of my fails, but what i posted as an update did work.

Possibly a scrpt would work where a application event fails. I suspect your app lacks the permissions to launch edge via some of the options that work in CMD.
It is q bit academic as there is now no simple way to bypass netflix whos watching screeen without a mouse
I also cannot find the full screen shortcut for amazon video. It is not shift F which works for netflix.have emailed qmazon for a list of keyboard controls. Will post it if i get it.

But i have the basic fix of being able to pause, restart a stream sorted, my tweaking my default intelli profile.

Any thoughts on making an edge profile. Should microsoftedge.exe work as the detector. Am watching football now but will experiment more later
cybmole

Postby Melloware » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:20 pm

If you create an Edge profile definitely send it to me! Take a look in Task Explorer and see what edge shows up as either "edge.exe" or microsoftedge.exe"?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby cybmole » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Ok but anything i make will not be generql purpose.
I use chrome for almost everything, plan to use edge only for netflix and amazon, where i dont need ad blockers or ghostery etc also running.
Plus i have netflix as my home pqge in edge, for simplicity, with amqzon in the visible bookmarks bar.
It used to be that only edge had 1080p support, but others are catching up now, switching to html5 streaming.....
I find the edge browser netflix has better controls than the netflix windows store app, and defaults to stereo only, which suits my setup
cybmole

Postby Melloware » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm

OK understood. Well at least post your findings here once you get it all working for others to see.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby cybmole » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am

hi again, I find by trial and error that SHIFT T sends netflix on browser to full screen, F has no effect
but the opposite is true for Amazon video: F sends Amazon video to full screen, Shift F has no effect

So I think I need a script event for my go to full-screen key - one that sends SHIFT+F, then F, or vice versa. that should work for both apps, but I cannot find an example syntax to crib from

ps I asked amazon for a list of keyboard shortcuts fro amazon video- the reply was that they did not have one !

but in Netflix , either SPACE or ENTER is a play/pause toggle, in amazon video it is SPACE ( ENTER does not work )

much googling on how to go directly to my Netflix watchlist or similar in Browser, without having to answer the " who's watching" prompt, but there seems to be no way to do that.

PS for decection of whether edge is running, task manager says to detect on MicrosoftEdge.exe
cybmole

Postby Melloware » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:29 am

Script for SHIFT+F then F

Code: Select all
Send("+F", 0)
Send("F", 0)
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby cybmole » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 am

it gets worse- looking more carefully:
netflix is using a toggle:
netflix in broswer: Shift F go full screen, F exit full screen
amaozn video in browser Shift F = nothing, F = go full screen

so there's no way to use the same full screen key for both apps
ALSO, WITH YOUR SUGGESTED SYNTAX, I keep getting PROBLEM WITH Command SEND
expected two parameters , but was supplied 1 parameters
cybmole

Postby cybmole » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:45 am

logically : what should work for both is F followed by shift F
the F sends amazon into full screen, netflix out of full screen, then the shift F sends netflix back into full screen and is ignored by amazon...

but it doesn't . It works for netflix but not for amazon

debugging . the simple key event - key F - works in amazon but the matching script event send ("{F}",0) does nothing
( that is with the shift F command removed for debugging )

PS it seemed I needed the { } curly brackets not the ( ) to get beyond the previous syntax error

update
maybe amazon wants f, not F ? [ when I tested with actual keyboard I was not using caps lock . Are either or both of key event, script event case sensitive?
I have had enough frustration for now but may try again later
cybmole

Postby Melloware » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Sorry about the {} brackets! That is what I meant.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby cybmole » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:48 am

Melloware wrote:Sorry about the {} brackets! That is what I meant.

got there in the end, but have moved on from this as per my post in the other thread.
I did lots of googling, which suggests that as the Netflix app evolves across browsers and technologies ( flash, Silverlight, HTML 5) there's a history of changing the shortcuts.
e.g. many older google search results say that F = full screen for netflix but my testing in edge was that SHIFT F = full screen and F = exit full screen.
Google found confirmation that F (ascii 70 ) = full screen for amazon video [ it is within the javascrpt apparently ] but it worked only as a key action, not within a simple send script

with my learnable remote approach I now have plex media player working via a programmed remote into a CYyberlink usb receiver, and have Amazon & Netflix on the fire tv box with its own wifi remote. that's the big 3 covered. I rarely bother with VLC player nowadays

this is the remote:
http://www.oneforall.co.uk/urc6820-zapper-plus.html

and key by key learning from originals lets me emulate multiple remotes from a single one
cybmole

Return to Intelliremote