Disable default button function *within* Media Center?

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Intelliremote application.

Disable default button function *within* Media Center?

Postby mashakos » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm

I've been a long time user of Intelliremote and have ended up in a curious situation. I remember many years ago when Intelliremote was able to override the default button functions of an MCE remote even when running Microsoft multimedia apps like Media Player or Media Center. By that I mean that Intelliremote was capable (after setting up a few things within windows) to override say the channel guide button within Media Center to do what ever you set it to in your Intelliremote profile. This was maybe 7 years ago and I've completely forgotten how it's done.

I tried researching, disabled all the WMC services / ehshell.exe etc. needed to forego the "double press" button annoyance but for the life of me I can't find the method I discovered so many years ago to override WMC button functionality!

What am I missing?
mashakos

Re: Disable default button function *within* Media Center?

Postby Melloware » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:33 am

Well things may have changed but I know the app ehtray.exe was what was controlling that.

Disable ehtray.exe permanently
Using process monitor, I found that ehtray.exe was running, but it is only loaded into memory when a key is pressed and then goes away. (Still not sure what lauches it)

I found going into c:\windows\ehome and renaming ehtray.exe to something else (first you have to take ownership of the file using properties->security->advanced) that it will not load and media center will not launch automatically. Media center will still work when launched manually.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: Disable default button function *within* Media Center?

Postby mashakos » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 am

Melloware wrote:Disable ehtray.exe permanently

I had done that already from memory but decided to search the OS drive for ehtray.exe

Turns out that there was another ehtray.exe nestled in a C:\Windows\winsxs subdirectory that was being triggered. Took ownership of the folder where that 2nd ehtray.exe was in as well as the executable, renamed it and voila! No more media center weirdness!

Thanks for the reply. Would not have thought to look for ehtray.exe anywhere other than C:\Windows\ehome
mashakos

Return to Intelliremote