"Pass-Through" option in the "Key" menu

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Intelliremote application.

"Pass-Through" option in the "Key" menu

Postby Keylonta » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:24 am

Microsoft killed the MCE Netflix plugin just recently and the only alternative is the new Netflix for Windows Media Center plugin:

http://sharepointadept.com/netflix-for- ... mment-4699

But it only works with MCE IR commands, so the MCE keyboard shortcuts don't work.

I was thinking it would be good if for a "Key Event" there was a "Pass-Through" option in the "Key" menu that would send out the original IR command.

Would that be possible to implement in to a future Intelliremote update?
Keylonta

Re: "Pass-Through" option in the "Key" menu

Postby Melloware » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:01 am

Well I think I know what you mean but let me explain what is happening.... Intelliremote doesn't "eat" HID signals from the remote it simply listens and acts. Any other program listening can also act on that signal. What we do is disable the default MS behavior because what would happen is you would have Intelliremote do an action and then MCE do the action on the same remote command. This is known as "double button push".

Now if you wanted that back you could re-enable the MS remote and then mark Intelliremote commands as "Key Event = <none>" telling Intelliremote not to do anything with that key for this profile. You can read this last post in this thread on doing that.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6130

Or you could write the author of the Netflix plugin and ask him how to enable keyboard support. He has this blurb on his website under Primary Goals "Create a WMC-compatible Remote Control JavaScript library that can translate key presses into methods to navigate, select and play content from Netflix".
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Keylonta » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:38 am

I think it would be a lot easier if there was a dedicated "Pass-through" option in the Key Event key drop down menu. The same as you have an "Intelliremote Switch Profile" option in the drop down menu. It just makes sense that that's where an option for passing through the original IR command would be. :)
Keylonta

Postby Melloware » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Keylonta wrote:I think it would be a lot easier if there was a dedicated "Pass-through" option in the Key Event key drop down menu. The same as you have an "Intelliremote Switch Profile" option in the drop down menu. It just makes sense that that's where an option for passing through the original IR command would be. :)

Can you explain what would be the behavior of your system if a key was marked "Pass Through". Be as thorough as possible. I think we might be having a communication issue so I want to be clear what your expected behavior is before I respond.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Keylonta » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 am

Okay... Just say I install a Netflix WMC plugin that only works with original MCE IR commands when controlling it with the remote. This means I am unable to control it with Intelliremote because when I push the play button on my remote it sends out the original MCE IR play command then Intelliremote intercepts it and sends out the shortcut key Ctrl+P which is the MCE shortcut key for play. But the Netflix plugin will only work with the original MCE IR play command, so the shortcut key that Intelliremote sends out does not work with the Netflix plugin. The most obvious solution to this is for me to select "Pass Through" from the "Key" dropdown menu for the play button. This would cause the original MCE IR play command to pass through Intelliremote unaltered so that the Netflix plugin would receive the original MCE IR play command and not a keyboard shortcut.

The term "Pass Through" is what is used in music production. Typically on a MIDI device there will be a "Pass Through" setting that will cause the incoming MIDI signal to be passed back out unaltered. That's why I used that term.

The "Pass Through" menu item for Intelliremote key events means I can assign it to individual buttons of my choice. There may be times when an original IR command is required like in my example.
Keylonta

Postby Melloware » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:08 am

Yes that is what I thought. For us to accomplish that behavior simply set in your Netflix profile for the Play button...

Key Event = <none>

That tells Intelliremote to completely ignore this event and do nothing with it and it will "Pass Through" to the MCE Default receiver.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Intelliremote