W10 - Config Screen always on Second Display

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Intelliremote application.

W10 - Config Screen always on Second Display

Postby Iceman0108 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Issue: Intelliremote always open on "secondary" display (HDTV).

I've looked at a few other threads and it seems this is a low-occurrence, but still recurring issue and never quite fully resolved. While it is not a major issue on an otherwise fantastic utility, it is a bit of an annoyance and it would be nice to have a more complete resolution.

A few additional threads where this issue is mentioned:
Windows 8.1 and multiple displays
gui opens on wrong screen
Aquaero Remote Support
.. it may affect also other Melloware apps?
X10 Commander always opens partly off-screen

I see that part of the problem may be related to the difference between "Screen Center" vs "Desktop Center"; This, I believe, is likely compounded by the fact that Windows identifies my display order differently from my GPU: Windows identifies my HDTV as 1, and my LCD (primary Screen) as 2; My 'primary screen' is set, in Windows, as 2; ATI/Radeon however, identifies them the other way around. I've reinstalled W10 multiple times (for different reasons) but unfortunately, there's no real way to change the Display identities in Windows, and for whatever reason, even after a full blank reinstall and connecting displays in order, it always ends up this way. I *believe* that Intelliremote is simply taking the 'first' display from Win, but not necessarily the actual 'primary' display.
Realizing that multiple users will have plenty of configurations, the Desktop vs Screen Center and/or relying on the display numbering may not be an optimal solution. I would suggest then simply to save the last position : It may turn up on the 'wrong' display on the very first run, but once it's moved, it would be corrected afterwards.
This has the additional advantage that it would allow the users to 'position' the window to suit their needs: The great majority of the time Intelliremote is simply hidden and operating on the background (with the taskbar icon enabled). however, when I do need to make adjustments, typically involves a few resets, restarts etc, and I generally organize any necessary windows for whatever task Im doing - (Kodi, Netflix or Hulu W10 apps, Plex etc) along with the Intelliremote settings in the corner so i can test and adjust quickly; therefore, it would be very nice if Intelliremote 'remembered' its last position since my setup (and I'll hazard most users' own preferences) is always similar for those configuration/maintenance tasks.
Iceman0108

Re: W10 - Config Screen always on Second Display

Postby Melloware » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:27 am

I will investigate this but I think it has to do with Intelliremote being written in older technology with API's from 1999. Back then Desktop Center and Screen Center were the only options and people didn't have the crazy multiple monitor displays they do today.

I will see if there is some patch or fix someone wrote.

I guess on one hand it is is a problem with using such an old technology to build Intelliremote, but on the other hand I am also proud the software is coming up on 20 years old and people still find it useful!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: W10 - Config Screen always on Second Display

Postby Melloware » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:28 am

Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com