Here is a batch file I wrote that "bumps" the BD Remote driver, resetting the remote, severing the connection from the bluetooth adapter, saving the battery power! After searching the web relentlessly to find a solution to this problem, I decided to take matters into my own hands and find a way to momentarily disable the PS3 remote. I knew if I could do that, it would reset and stop wasting juice. I've gone through a lot of batteries after deciding no more. So I guess this is considered a "green" post.
Remote utils -
I have the inactivity timer set to 8 seconds, but this is also adjustable by opening the timer macro labeled "No Activity Timer".
edit : I realize that this is a Q and A section - it's just an important problem that I wanted to help people find a "good" solution.
I have found other solutions out there, and the most effective ones mess around with the bluetooth dongle itself, leading to windows update jumping in and trying to find another driver somewhere. This renders the remote unresponsive for 20-30 seconds or so. The solution I provided has a delay of about a second, provided you press a button exactly when the remote goes to sleep. Truthfully I have not even noticed a delay.
Update : I added the instructions to the zip file. And since then I have made some tweaks to is to hopefully make it work better. But you must copy the new PS3 plugin over the existing PS3 plugin that comes with Eventghost. This is the key to getting devcon to work without looping Eventghost into errors. Also, the devcon I included is for 64 bit Windows. To make it work on 32 bit, just find a 32 bit version of devcon.exe on the internet and replace the one in this package with it. It should be a lot easier to find than the 64 bit version, believe me. If I come across it, maybe I'll add it on here. But most people use 64. Also, sorry about not using a reliable link - I know of no other way to post a file.