Feature Request

Forum to discuss EventPhone iPhone/iPod Touch client for EventGhost

Feature Request

Postby mike.wes.morris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:07 pm

Hey there! Thank you for the development for EventPhone... I use your application on my iphone to fully control all my AV equipment with macros in eventghost. I also have the RF receiver with Insteon to even control my lights. I do all of this with USB-UIRT that is hidden with IR extenders. Of course at this time, i do not think Event ghost will replace a remote control, but I love the fact i can push one button by WiFi and turn on all my devices.

I was curious as to what your next steps might be with this software. One thing i was looking for, was the ability to edit the buttons on the screen, I do not use all of those buttons, so it would be nice to add/remove/edit the buttons and possibly their layout. Maybe a way to create profiles. I am eventually thinking of buying an ipod Touch where I can have this app running on wifi with a handful of buttons like Music, to turn everything for my music, or like TV to turn on my tv and receiver and cable box, etc.

What are your thoughts?
mike.wes.morris

Re: Feature Request

Postby Melloware » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the compliments! Sounds like you have quite a setup!

First, do you mind doing an AppStore review of EventPhone if you haven't done one already? As an indie developer I live and die by reviews.

Second, I didn't have any plans on skinning or making the buttons customizable. Since I did not write the main EG product, I only have access to what the Python plugin structure allows ao writing anything super complex like customizable buttons or skinning is a little tougher.

As for profiles I am sure you know I have a competing product to EventGhost called Intelliremoteand it has the concept of profiles which you can switch from the iPhone app or if you are at your PC it will notice which application has focus and switch the profile. It also happens to be a wireless keyboard and mouse for your PC also. Most EG users never switch over to Intelliremote, but you might want to give Intelliphonea shot to see if you like it a little better than the EG client for some of your needs. The iphone app is free and the PC side is shareware so you could try it. It won't let you change the icons but the profiles will let you change the names of the buttons and the actions they perform.

Sorry to present you one thing when you asked for the other but I just thought I would
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby dustobub » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:21 am

I second the idea of button/layout customizing. I think the product has tremendous potential but is limited because of the static "MCE" skin. Being able to have multiple pages, to possibly represent different remotes, it also allows you to decrease the amount of buttons on one page to make them larger on each page. I like the style of the Eventghost iphone web server, but the lack of native integration and long button presses (which I assume your program handles) is a huge disadvantage. His application has multiple pages, that can represent different remotes, and also a "favorites" page which is rather useful.

I hope you continue development, I know the Eventghost guys are unhappy that your app costs money, but I understand the App Store fees, and I think your App has the potential to be very useful for diy home automators if you allow for more customization.

One last critique, the connection status information on both landscape and vertical orientations seems to be rather obtrusive and I feel that this information can be hidden after connection. Maybe a little "i" could bring up this info. This would allow for more valuable screen real estate for more or larger buttons.

Thanks,

Dustin
dustobub

Postby Melloware » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:30 am

Hey Dustin,

Thanks for writing! Let me answer some of your questions.

1. I guess I will put skins on the long term TODO list since a lot of people want it. The tough part about that is how to get the skin loaded into the iPhone app. How to configure for different button presses. The iPhone web app can be dynamic because its doing HTTP rendering basicaly in a browser, my app trades off flexibility for instantaneous response time.

2. Long button pushes. NO my app does not support long button pushes. I used a model of the Network Receiver plugin used for the Girder NetRemote support and it does not support long button pushes either. It just sends the signals like Play Pause etc to EG to handle just like NetRemote.

3. The text for connection info goes away once you press a button. When you press Play that text is replaced by the name of the button you pushed. It is there to give feedback to the user of what is going on. So if you press the "1" button it displays "Num1" which is the message sent to EG so you know it successfully went through.

4. I followed the MCE remote model because its the most popular remote out there on the market and I use the same messages as the EG MCE plugin so if you already had that configured EventPhone would just plug right in and work with it. I prefer the KISS method of application development...Keep It Simple Stupid. The more features you add the harder it is for people to understand and use. With EventPhoen you just drop the plugin in and its all just working out of the box! 55 buttons should be plenty to maps even for Home Automation enthusiasts. Turning lights on and off with X10 etc you could just map to one of the seldom used buttons like "Recorded TV". Or you could map it to one of he 96 keyboard events. Say you mapped your Lights On to "Letter L" for lights. You could just bring up the keyboard and press L and fire your whole X10 lighting macro. Just create different EG macros to different keyboard letters.

Hope that answers some of your questions....I will definitely put button customization on the TODO list!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby dustobub » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear you are going to add customization down the line. Is there any solution to the long button press issue? This is a big deal for me, scrolling long lists (without page up/down), and volume. Thanks again.

Dustin
dustobub

Postby Melloware » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 pm

dustobub wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear you are going to add customization down the line. Is there any solution to the long button press issue? This is a big deal for me, scrolling long lists (without page up/down), and volume. Thanks again.

Dustin

I will look into the long button presses and see what I can come up with.

it looks like you can actually program long button presses on the EG side of it according to this post.

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... tton+press
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:25 am

I think I have it figured out and Long Button Presses will be in the next release. Basically you will have to trigger it by pressing a "Hold Button" then click the button you want, then repress the Hold Button which is now labeled "Release Button".

Press Hold Button
Press Volume Down
Press Release Button when its gone on long enough.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:06 pm

I stand corrected. All buttons in 1.1 will be long pressable. You just hold your finger on the button and it will repeat until you release it if you have a repeating action set on your EventGhost side like the default Volume Up and Volume Down events.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to EventPhone for EventGhost