Feedback and feature requests

Forum to discuss EventPhone iPhone/iPod Touch client for EventGhost

Re: Feedback and feature requests

Postby Melloware » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 am

jsmain wrote:Thanks for that, but now comes the question.... When do you expect to complete this button?

Does the ipod/iphone not report back to the interface that it has been sleeping? I would think it should be easy enough to code it so a button wouldn't be necessary, and you could detect, the sleep state, and therefore command the reconnect without user need to do so.

as I don't have a mac, I can't use the SDK, and really have no visability to what it's capable of.

I will have to check if there is an event fired for when the iPhone comes out of sleep mode. There might be but when I first coded this again OS 2.0 I don't remember seeing any event. However there may be an event now, I will look.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jsmain » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks again!

Let's hope they included it in 3.0.

The iPhone/ipod touch, could one day be the ultimate in remote control....

BTW, this forum software is another PITA...
I keep hitting save and getting redirected to save as draft, instead of hitting submit. I've never run into a software that did that.
jsmain

Postby Melloware » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:19 pm

jsmain wrote:Thanks again!

Let's hope they included it in 3.0.

The iPhone/ipod touch, could one day be the ultimate in remote control....

From reading it looks like there is a method called "didBecomeActive" but I will have to try it because it says it is only for when you return from phone call or SMS message while using the app. Nothing about sleep. I will give it a try.

jsmain wrote:BTW, this forum software is another PITA...
I keep hitting save and getting redirected to save as draft, instead of hitting submit. I've never run into a software that did that.

I feel your pain! Sadly, PHPBB3 is one of the only open source bulletin boards out there. I have seen nicer ones but they are all for $$$$.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Great news! "applicationDidBecomeActive" does get called when you awake the phone from sleeping or unlock it.

So I just fixed the code to gracefully disconnect when you sleep or lock your phone, then automatically try and re-connect when you wake it from sleep. I have submitted 1.3 to the AppStore so hopefully Apple will approve the update in the timely manner!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jsmain » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:12 am

That is great news!

Now if only we had the ability to configure the gui with our own customizable style.... Button placement, size, image, name....
A designated page for each app...

It would then be the perfect application for remote control.

Have you looked at MobileAirMouse?
That also has a reconnect that appears to work well, and it's controls are synced with the active window on the server. Biggest issuee with this app, is it's keyboard shortcuts only, outside being a mouse control also.

It's supposed to be a terrific app, but I've not been to crazy about how it works with Vista's media center. Haven't been able to install the server on Win7 RC yet...Won't currently install.
jsmain

Postby jsmain » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:59 am

Just thought I'd expand on my thoughts a little bit....

some background about me for clarity.

I've been a mobile DJ for the last 21 years. I purchased a program called OtsAV in 1999, and have used various scripting programs like MacroExpress, Girder, AHK, and eventghost to interface and control my DJ software of choice. I also own an RF X10 MouseREMOTE controller that is quickly becoming obsolete due to the fact it uses standard serial ports to connect to the PC, now through a Serial to USB converter. This doesn't work as well on Vista and 7 as it did with XP.

I've used this remote to control both Ots, and control my DMx lighting through Light Jockey.

In my previous post, I request the ability to have a custom interface on the iphone/ipod for this reason.... I see huge potential for this type of remote control in the DJ industry.

Of course being customizable will allow for the greatest flexability, for use in any implimentation. This current interface is more for the home theatre setup. IMO, you need to think beyond that.... There is a bigger picture... Potential...

Perhaps you might be interested in chasing this, perhaps not, but I'm sure someone will.
If interested, I'd be willing to help where possible...

If only I had a Mac! ;)
jsmain

Postby Melloware » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:58 am

It was definitely geared more towards HTPC enthusiasts and not DJ's. I definitely hear you though. I guess I figured there are more HTPC enthusiasts out there since it is getting more and more common in households these days, than DJ's with setups like you have!

Have you ever used a program called AMPS? http://www.audioboxinc.com/amps/ The author of that just contacted me I guess he sells mostly to DJ's.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jsmain » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:53 am

My DJ setup is essentially an HTPC with lighting control for the mood.

No, I have not looked at AMPS.

Why don't you want flexibility in your app? It could only improve your product and it's acceptance in the market.

People like to customize their interface... That's all I''m really saying here.
I could make it work now, as is, but the buttons would be meaningless, as they are not configurable.
jsmain

Postby jsmain » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:36 am

Just took a quick look at AMPS. Sorry, it's not compatible with the Ots proprietary format, and is basically unusable by me for that reason alone.

Regardless, it shouldn't matter. With EventGhost as the intermediate interface between your GUI, and the end app being controlled, the GUI, is the area that needs the flexability. The interface is already capable commanding the apps.
jsmain

Postby Melloware » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:44 am

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting AMPS would solve your problem it was just a coincidence two DJ's contacted me in the same week and I wanted to know if you used or ever heard of AMPS.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jsmain » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:28 am

I remember hearing about it, and probably looked at it once long ago...

I actually started looking at this kind of app in 1999, and purchased Visiosonics d1200sl DJ software, now called PCDJ. I purchased Ots shortly after, and converted to it's format, and never looked back. I really like the fact that I can put an entire albums content into a single file as if it were still an album. There is no destructive editing necessary for trimming or fading either. The format houses audio, video, and karaoke data, album art, and various other info as well.
jsmain

Postby Melloware » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:20 am

jsmain wrote:I remember hearing about it, and probably looked at it once long ago...

I actually started looking at this kind of app in 1999, and purchased Visiosonics d1200sl DJ software, now called PCDJ. I purchased Ots shortly after, and converted to it's format, and never looked back. I really like the fact that I can put an entire albums content into a single file as if it were still an album. There is no destructive editing necessary for trimming or fading either. The format houses audio, video, and karaoke data, album art, and various other info as well.

Can you send me a link to OTS? I would like to check it out.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jsmain » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 am

It's actually Ots... The last name of the fellas that created it.... Ahts, not O.T.S.

http://www.otsav.com/

Free 30 day trial here...
http://www.otsav.com/download/otsav-free-trial.html
jsmain

Previous

Return to EventPhone for EventGhost