Connection Issues FAQ

Forum to discuss X10 Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android client for X10 Devices

Re: Connection Issues FAQ

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Melloware wrote:
John-Fox wrote:Yes, if I put 192.168.1.104 in the app, and am on my network, I connect easily. I agree about the port forwarding, but cannot find a patch. As I stated earlier, the router is processing the forward because if I take the forward out, the app times-out immediately. If I have the forward in place in the router, it takes about 5 more seconds. :cry:

OK so you have done some good debugging. The only thing I can suggest is maybe a reboot of the PC or reboot of the router?

Well, wouldn't you know, I do resets, nothing. You tell me to do one, and it works. It is patched. Thanks for the help. :D
John-Fox

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 pm

John-Fox wrote:Well, wouldn't you know, I do resets, nothing. You tell me to do one, and it works. It is patched. Thanks for the help. :D

This was a wild guess. Another user having trouble said he rebooted both his PC and Router and everything magically worked. :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jnyc111 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I have been unable to connect to the server from my iphone app. i have looked at the faq and the port shows that its listening. i am on a campus network so that is probbly the problem i have access to an external proxy, is there a way to configure x10 commander to connect through a proxy? or other work around?
Thnak you
Jon
jnyc111

Postby Melloware » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Ouch! Your campus network will not allow access in that way if the network administrator is even half competent. They will have the firewall set up to not allow that type of communication. There is no magic setting I can give you to make it work. I promise it does work though when you are on a private WIFI network.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby beachgrandma » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 am

X10 Commander works just fine inside my house where the computer is. However, it will not connect once I'm away from home. Naturally, that is when I need it, but it gives me the Server Error message. The server IS set up properly and works as long as I'm at home. Solutions?
Thank you,
BeachGrandma
beachgrandma

Postby Melloware » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 am

beachgrandma wrote:X10 Commander works just fine inside my house where the computer is. However, it will not connect once I'm away from home. Naturally, that is when I need it, but it gives me the Server Error message. The server IS set up properly and works as long as I'm at home. Solutions?
Thank you,
BeachGrandma

Did you use this External Connection FAQ?

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7070

You have to do extra steps to be able to connect externally from the Internet to be able to connect to your home remotely. A 192... address only works on your internal network but that IP address means nothing once you are outside your house. Follow the above FAQ.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Previous

Return to X10 Commander