Houseport OSX

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

Houseport OSX

Postby hitch » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Now that Houseport for Mac is shipping, will you be making ZWave commander compatible with it?
hitch

Re: Houseport

Postby PixelRogue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:45 am

PLEASE (!)

Yes, Houseport would be great.

The Houseport is a great application and easy to setup. However, the Houseport sucks as an application to managed devices on demand (getting to the computer, getting to the software, getting to the right controller, then activating the control). No scripts, no iPhone app, no hot kes... all kinds of simple options to improve the usability but nothing. Like another product that drops 1/2 way.
--
I've had a Houseport set up now since about June and waiting ever since for an iPhone app (which was promised and referenced in multiple areas before purchased). Around the August/September time-frame, I would call now and again to inquire and I would get "We are working on an iPhone application" - no estimated time, no details. I call in December and get "We never said we are doing an iPhone app" response.

Anyone else out there w/Houseport? What software are you using? Any other products for the iPhone that will control Houseport?
PixelRogue

Re: Houseport

Postby Melloware » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:10 am

Here is a letter I sent to Houseport/Wayne Dalton on 01/17/2010...

To the Developers of Houseport,

I am the author of the iPhone application Zwave Commander.

http://melloware.com/products/zwave/

It connects to a server side application for controlling Zwave devices from your iPhone and iPod touch. I have a .NET server for a ControlTHink USB ThinkStick on the Windows side but there is no solution for OSX.

Would you consider adding server support in Houseport for our app? This would give Houseport the added benefit of an iPhone/iPod touch client.

I already have 3 other vendors that have added support to our app in their application...

http://www.qhorus.com/products/
http://cms.jbmedia.de/
http://www.hometomation.com/homeplanner/

Adding Houseport would be a huge win for both our companies.

Thanks,

Mello

So far the answer I have received has been NO unless they make money on it somehow.

I recommend you send emails to homesettings@wayne-dalton.com and ask them to support Zwave Commander or our generic third party product called Lightswitch which is the same protocol as Zwave Commander but can be used by third party companies like HousePort and JBMEdia since it is not labled "Zwave only.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: Houseport OSX

Postby PixelRogue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:40 am

Done.

Mello - your main contact for Wayne Dalton Houseport is homesettings@wayne-dalton.com
(seems as if he is the ONLY contact and is a protective gatekeeper, fyi)
PixelRogue

Postby Melloware » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:06 am

PixelRogue wrote:Done.

Mello - your main contact for Wayne Dalton Houseport is "Hughes, Jeffrey P." <XXX@wayne-dalton.com>
(seems as if he is the ONLY contact and is a protective gatekeeper, fyi)

I XXXed out his email. I have been talking to Jeff as you are right he is he main gatekeeper. He basically says unless he can generate revenue from our iPhone sales that they are not interested. When he asked 'How would this be a win for both our companies" I responded with this...

Jeff,

It would be a huge win because you would be providing your customers with an iPhone/iPod Touch application to control their Zwave network anywhere in the world and use Wayne Dalton hardware and Houseport app driving sales.

Basically it is one more reason to for users to buy your stuff. A lot of my Zwave Commander users have asked for OSX support but my app uses the ControlThink ThinkStick and is .NET Windows only. So they run Windows in a Parrallels, Fusion, VirtualBox window in OSX just to run my app. They want a native OSX solution. You have that already, just adding a simple TCP Socket protocol to your app would allow users to use Zwave Commander to connect directly to Houseport Server and control their Devices, Scenes, and Zones from their iPhone/iPod Touch.

So you get more sales because you provide the native OSX Support my users are looking for and I drive more iPhone sales because it is yet another server application that supports Zwave Commander.

And you don't have to worry about building an iPhone/iPod touch application.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby PixelRogue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 am

For the most part I mentioned that the Houseport is practically useless w/o better options to control devices. Feeling rather ripped off by lack of support and expansion and am requesting full refund.

Some general feedback provided to Jeff and Wayne-Dalton:

Feature Requests:

1) iPhone Application

2) Options for controlling the lights w/o needing to operate the Wayne Datong software directly.
Mac OS Widget and other ways to control the lights w/o having to actually have the application open. In theory, the user would only need to open the Wayne Dalton software when creating or modifying settings, but there shouldn't be a need to keep the software open just to control lights. Options:
a) Widets
b) Scripts
c) Universal Keyboard Shortcuts (ie. Cntl-shift-L for living room lights); configurable.
d) Widgets that work on a network. So the Wayne Dalton USB stick will likely reside on my MacMini. I'd like to control the lights, however, from my MacBook Pro, or iPhone. Having networkable software to control lights would be a natural extension and more closely match what I suspect as the way many would use the system.
PixelRogue

Re: Houseport OSX - does not work

Postby kayakjamie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:37 pm

I have been running houseport for one year. It is unusable since it frequently crashes, usually while I am traveling. One wants one's light control system to just work. It is a huge disappointment compared to using Homeseer about 5 years ago. I got it since it was the only zwave solution for Mac. I think I will install VMware and run a real piece of software.
kayakjamie

Postby PixelRogue » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Official word came in today. Wayne Dalton is NOT (I repeat, is NOT & will not be) developing an iPhone application for the Z-Wave Houseport. I respectfully asked if they would, now that they said they won't build an iphone app, be more comfortable with others developing apps for the Houseport.

So, in the event that this was all wasted time, money, energy and effort, anyone know of other Z-Wave controllers for the Macintosh?
PixelRogue

Postby Melloware » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:49 am

PixelRogue wrote:Official word came in today. Wayne Dalton is NOT (I repeat, is NOT & will not be) developing an iPhone application for the Z-Wave Houseport. I respectfully asked if they would, now that they said they won't build an iphone app, be more comfortable with others developing apps for the Houseport.

So, in the event that this was all wasted time, money, energy and effort, anyone know of other Z-Wave controllers for the Macintosh?

Houseport contacted me after months of saying NO saying they were considering adding support for Zwave Commander to their app. That was on April 5 and I have not heard from them since.

As for as Mac's go, I don't know of any other Zwave option.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby kvh14 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I am ready to give up on Houseport. It crashes about once per week largely defeating the purpose of having home automation. I have a Mac Mini running it and I use LogMeIn to access the Mini to control Houseport. Why is it so hard to find good home automation programs for a Mac? I'm going to try going down the path of running Parallels continuously on my Mac and using a PC home automation program; one that also has an iPhone app.

To answer Wayne Dalton's question as to what's in it for them financially, their program's not good enough to stand on its own. If it had an iPhone app to go with it, I might stick with them and not post negative reviews on this and other websites. Their disregard for their customers in fixing the crashing problem and developing what would be a relatively simple iPhone app tells me it's not a company I want to associate with any longer. As a businessman, your contact at Wayne Dalton should understand how negative reviews can affect the bottom line.
kvh14

Postby Melloware » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:10 pm

I completely agree.....

With Open Zwave project you might finally have a chance at a great Zwave app for the Mac!

http://code.google.com/p/open-zwave/
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby PixelRogue » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Wayne Dalton stopped responding to messages even. Pathetic and big waste of money. Vapor ware and their management can't seem to see past their own nose at look at the bigger picture here. Never delivered on the promise, and stone walling others from doing so.

Thank you for the link btw - a glimmer of hope remains...
PixelRogue

Postby PixelRogue » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm

So I was in touch w/the HomeRun (the new company - which was spun off or sold from Wayne Dalton), and as it turns out there was a 'disagreement' of some nature w/the a main developer (who was a contractor) who up and left, essentially sinking the product.

HomeRun has no plans of continued support, iPhone or Android access and what I find still hard to believe - they refuse to provide any APIs or allow access so developers can make a mobile application. So they stepped out of the way, won't touch it, but won't let anyone else in to help.

Currently I have several z-wave controllers installed, and the Houseport stick set up on an older headless machine. Surprising it all works fine but such a pia to access and really want iPhone control of the devices.

Does anyone know of any apps that would include Houseport? Though I'd hate to purchase another usb controller stick, I'm open to considering the purchase if it will be this all running - on a MAC os in native format (don't want to install VM ware and get that complicated to get a pc version running).
PixelRogue

Postby Melloware » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Now that Open Zwave is maturing I can't imagine it will be very long until a native OSX Zwave app is written.

http://code.google.com/p/open-zwave/
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby PixelRogue » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:31 am

PixelRogue

Next

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander