[SOLVED] SCENES with Lightswitch

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

[SOLVED] SCENES with Lightswitch

Postby synergy008 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 am

Hello guys,
I have a bounch of Intermatic switches at home and I have set-up my PC with a ControlThink USB and ControlThink software...
Unfortunately, scenes created in ControlThink cannot be imported to ZWave Commander and therefore to LightSwitch.

My question, how can I create scenes in my Iphone via LightSwitch??? :?

I know that that Lightswitch is also compatible with other servers... Will one of them make it possible for me to get scenes working on my Iphone? Any other idea on how to get scenes working on my phone?

Thanks a lot!!!
synergy008

Re: SCENES with Lightswitch

Postby Melloware » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am

Hey welcome aboard!

OK so Zwave Scenes are an embedded concept in the devices as you know. Intermatic devices do not support Scenes therefore Lightswitch will not work with Scenes with your setup only with Zones. Lightswitch essentially tells your USB key to "execute Scene 4" yet since your devices don't store scenes the USB key responds with "I don't know what you are talking about".

ThinkEssentials "cheats" and creates a private encrypted database pretending to be a scene even though your devices don't support them. We have asked ControlThink for access to that encrypted file so we can execute scenes just like ThinkEssentials does but they have not gotten back to me after they showed original interest in it.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby synergy008 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 am

Hi and thanks for the quick reply!
Wouldn't it be possible to create scenes in Z-wave Commander? I mean, all it needs is to send dimming % values to all switches from the USB key? :lol:

PS:
Another interesting option would be to support multiple zones... Meaning that you could group a device in more than one zone. This way, you can have Livingroom zone, bedroom zone, etc... AND Whole House zone. This way you can shut down eveything in one shot, or one by one. :wink:
synergy008

Postby Melloware » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:30 am

I could do both of the above but what I was hoping was to get access to the ThinkEssentials database.

because I really don't want to be in the business of essentially re-creating the entire ThinkEssentials UI as that is not the business I want to be in.

I have even offered ThinkEssentials help that I would integrate my code into the main THinkEssentials product or if they would offer me access to that encrypted file. Either would solve the problem the right way. Re-creating the entire ThinkEssentials UI was never on my roadmap, nor did I plan on it being!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby synergy008 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for your replies... Well if you can't access ThinkEssentials's Scenes data, I hope that you will one day consider adding more controls to Zones/scenes like mentioned above... If you do add dimming % control to devices stored into zones, and that we can activate them in one shot, we would get a similar functionality found in scenes that would make me (and probably others) very happy!... :D

Thanks!
synergy008

Postby rdimitri » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:54 am

Hi Melloware,

I was curious if you contact Controlthink recently? It seems that now with the change of ownership they at least have someone active on their forums (Kenny) and some new development is being done (see new ThinkEssentials updates and Firmwares in the last week).

I imagine if they knew they were being bought that this wasn't a priority for them, but maybe the new management would be willing to work with you. Just a thought, thanks.
rdimitri

Postby Melloware » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

I am going to ping them as a recent flurry of activity has occurred. Maybe I will get some traction?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby stbluesrul » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 am

Melloware wrote:I am going to ping them as a recent flurry of activity has occurred. Maybe I will get some traction?

Lets hope.. Don't they realize that Zwave Commander support will only help them sell MORE of their own product?
stbluesrul

Postby Melloware » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Kenny,

First its great to see ThinkEssentials development continuing! I don't know if you know or not but I am the developer of

Zwave Commander: http://melloware.com/products/zwave/

Lightswitch: http://melloware.com/products/lightswitch/

About a year and half ago Matt from CT contacted me and was going to send me legal documents becuase they were thinking of opening up the encrypted TE database of Scenes and Zones for developers like me to use in my apps. My questions to you are this:

1. Is CT interested in adding support for my iPhone/Android apps directly into the TE product. My code is already in .NET and using your SDK so the implementation would be easy. It would give TE iPhone/Android support and would allow me to retire my Server EXE. I think its a win win situation. I have worked with Jose of Leviton in the past so he can speak to the quality of my app and of my development.

2. Another possibility of CT making the TE code open source?

3. Is the SDK really dead?

Thanks for your time and its great to have life back in this community!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] SCENES with Lightswitch

Postby rdimitri » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:51 pm

It's about a month later, did you ever hear back from them?
rdimitri

Postby Melloware » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 pm

rdimitri wrote:It's about a month later, did you ever hear back from them?

NOT a single peep.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rdimitri » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:36 am

Melloware wrote:
rdimitri wrote:It's about a month later, did you ever hear back from them?

NOT a single peep.

Sorry to hear that. Any chance you consider developing scenes into your product? Unfortunately I loaded up on a bunch of Intermatic devices (when Ocean State Job lot had them for like $8), and would love scene support via your software. From the research I've done it seems like the Micasaverde vera product could do this, but it's a bit more of an investment (~$200 I think vs ~$50-150 for a Thinkstick and your software).

I realize that you've said in the past you were hoping to avoid doing that, but for me at least it would definitely tilt my choice towards your product. Regardless, thanks!
rdimitri

Postby dracula » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:20 am

I just purchased Lightswitch app today, and realizing that SCENES function doesn't work. Would something be done about it in the near future?
dracula

Postby Melloware » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:28 am

dracula wrote:I just purchased Lightswitch app today, and realizing that SCENES function doesn't work. Would something be done about it in the near future?

Scenes work only if you have devices that support scenes like Leviton Vizia RF+ devices. If you own Intermatic devices they do not store scenes in the device so they are useless with ZwaveCommander/Lightswitch. Unfrotunately this is the way Zwave works aand unless ControlThink exposes their TE database to me I have no way of knowing what your scenes are or what they control.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby dracula » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

I just tried to call support for Controlthink, and they told me that they would need to talk to you, so they know what exactly what you are trying to do (or would need to do to get the scenes working). Could you call their support line at 800-824-3005 ext 3? I explained it to them at the hight level, but it is best if you talk to their support directly.
dracula

Next

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander