Autoplaylists - Wrong songs play

Forum to discuss MonkeyTunes DACP Server for MediaMonkey

Autoplaylists - Wrong songs play

Postby kudos » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm experiencing an odd problem with autoplaylists. For most autoplaylists, no matter what song I choose in Monkeytunes, another song from the autoplaylist begins playing. This applies to certain autoplaylists, including the following:

• Classical
  • Favorites - 1 Audio CD Worth
  • Favorites - 1 Mp3 CD Worth
  • Favorites - Not Heard Recently
  • [Manually created autoplaylists]

However, this problem is not consistent across autoplaylists. For instance, Monkeytunes works perfectly with the following:

• Favorites - Top 50
  • Last 50 Played
  • Recently Added

To be clear, playlists which are not autoplaylists seem to work perfectly.

Context:
Monkeytunes v. 1.7.1.1
Mediamonkey v. 4.07.1511 (not Gold)
iOS Remote (latest version as of 12 Jan 2013) (same results from both iPod Touch 5G and iPad 2)

Have others encountered this problem? Any possible diagnosis/solution?
kudos

Re: Autoplaylists - Wrong songs play

Postby Melloware » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 am

Hmmm I had not really tried this but for some reason my guess is the way the remote works is it sends the Playlist to play and which track number on the Playlist to begin playing. So say you picked the 2nd song on the list it would send "2". However since they are autocreate running a SQL statement in MM I wonder if when it loads the list song "2" is not the song it displayed in the results? Just a hunch.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby kudos » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before. I generally use autoplaylists since I get tired of listening to the same static playlists each time and I don't have time to go make a new static playlist each time. I'd think there would be a demand for this.

I agree with your hunch. The three autoplaylists for which MonkeyTunes seems to work would be static in their ordering. E.g., the top 50 would be ranked in the same order each time it's loaded.

The other malfunctioning autoplaylists would be completely random each time they are called.

I'm not sure if a different calling approach by MonkeyTunes is possible, but in light of the above, it would seem warranted. Perhaps there is a way to read the list and selecting from it without re-calling it?
kudos

Postby Melloware » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 am

kudos wrote:I'm not sure if a different calling approach by MonkeyTunes is possible, but in light of the above, it would seem warranted. Perhaps there is a way to read the list and selecting from it without re-calling it?

Unfortunately the way the MM API works there is no way to load the playlist without having it re-run the SQL that is generating the dynamic playlist. I am just making the calls to load playlists that are available to me through the MM API.

Since iTunes doesn't have the concept of a "dynamic" playlist they never thought of this where when I send a playlist in i send in the track number you want to play but in iTunes everything is a static playlist.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby kudos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Understood. Thanks for taking the time to explain. On the plus side, these autoplaylists will have a genuinely random character to them.
kudos

Postby Melloware » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 am

kudos wrote:Understood. Thanks for taking the time to explain. On the plus side, these autoplaylists will have a genuinely random character to them.

I guess that is why people haven't complained in the past if they are truly dynamic playlists they just add them to their queue on the first track playing whatever it turns out to be.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby kismetcow » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:45 pm

I just installed (and purchased) MonkeyTunes, and this is one of the first issues I ran into.

So if I understand correctly, MonkeyTunes does not keep the generated tracklist itself, so when it gets the command from the client (Play Playlist X @ Track N) that's what gets fobbed over to MM.
That makes sense. But, MMW had a similar issue in their UPnP server, and solved it by maintaining the served tracklist within the UPnP server: they didn't requery until a refresh of the view.

Alternately, couldn't the client look at the track info and say, Play Track X, Track Y, Track Z ... instead of Play Playlist X, Track N?
kismetcow

Postby Melloware » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:54 am

That would assume I have control over the client. REmember the Apple Remote is dumb it is querying the server the way it expects iTunes to work. We are merely emulating that functionality the best we can.

So in this case it sends a playlist for MM to play and since its an auto playlist MM runs the query and takes it from there. The client is dumb.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby camila » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:48 pm

I've been using ReTune for controlling MonkeyTunes. It seems that the Now Playing list is not changeable: once the tracks are loaded, there is no way to remove or move tracks around. Am I right about this? If so, is the limitation in ReTune or in MonkeyTunes?
Try out our free mybraindumps.net and latest comptia certification training courses to get high flying success in final College of Saint Elizabeth & JUNIPER exams, University of Toronto is also very useful tool.
camila

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:25 am

camila wrote:I've been using ReTune for controlling MonkeyTunes. It seems that the Now Playing list is not changeable: once the tracks are loaded, there is no way to remove or move tracks around. Am I right about this? If so, is the limitation in ReTune or in MonkeyTunes?

it is a limitation of the Apple DACP protocol. The only thing you can do from the mobile device is load a new "Playlist" or add tracks to the Now Playing. But you cannot remove them or rerrange them. It is just how Apple designed it for iTunes.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to MonkeyTunes for MediaMonkey