Jukes Process Priority

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Jukes java jukebox.

Jukes Process Priority

Postby Phillips » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:21 am

Have you guys tried messing with the Jukes process priority to help with skipping. I changed it to real time and it doesn't seem to skip at all now. I haven't been able to figure out how to make the change permanantly though. The command line option "start /REALTIME jukes.exe" doesn't seem to work. I have to change it in taskmgr.
Phillips

Windows Task Priority

Postby Melloware » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Excellent find Phillips! Here is what I found out....

First, I use Launch4j to wrap my java app as a Windows EXE which gives it a nice easy launcher as well as jukes-4.0.0.22.exe showing up in Task Manager. I have found the launch4j wrapper IGNORES the start /high command and I have submitted a request to the Launch4j project to add that functionality. Since the Jukes.exe is actually just a C wrapper calling "javaw.exe" process inside of it and renaming the task if you care.

In the meantime what you can do to get high or realtime priority is the following:

1. Download the JAR version of the Jukes not the EXE.

2. Create a shortcut with the Start In dir where the Jukes is located and the following in the Target:

C:\WINNT\system32\CMD.EXE /q /c start /high javaw -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar jukes-4.0.0.22-app.jar

3. Or if you don't want a Windows Shortcut and prefer the command line the call is this:

D:\Personal\tools\jukes>start /high javaw -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar jukes-4.0.0.22-app.jar
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Windows Task Priority

Postby Phillips » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks that worked, I ran into a couple of changes in case anyone else is trying this.

1. Download the JAR version of the Jukes not the EXE.
(Windows XP may assume the jar file is a zip file when you download it. If you let it save as a .zip file, it will show you the contents, but will crash if you try to extract it. You may need to manually change the filename back to .jar)

2. Create a shortcut with the Start In dir where the Jukes is located and the following in the Target:

C:\WINNT\system32\CMD.EXE /q /c start /high javaw -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar jukes-4.0.0.22-app.jar

(If this doesn't work try
C:\windows\system32\CMD.EXE /q /c start /high javaw -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar jukes-4.0.0.22-app.jar)

3. Or if you don't want a Windows Shortcut and prefer the command line the call is this:

D:\Personal\tools\jukes>start /high javaw -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar jukes-4.0.0.22-app.jar

You may also need to save a TrayIcon.dll file in the folder where jukes-4.0.0.22-app.jar is.
Phillips

Postby Melloware » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:09 am

Oh good call. I forgot mention its WINNT if you are using Windows2000 and Windows if using WindowsXP. I am stuck with Windows2000 here at work.

Yeah I noticed that about downloading the JAR too, I am actually on the next release going to put the JAR inside a ZIP file to avoid this confusion.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:59 pm

So i have some done some testing on my machine here at work which would skip under HEAVY load like a full compile of source code in Eclispe while playing a song. So I tried it with these new settings and sure enough no skips. I also added some DirectDraw hints to Java which only work on Windows.

Here is my shortcut (not on WindowsXP its C:\WINDOWS)

Code: Select all
C:\WINNT\system32\CMD.EXE /q /c  start /high javaw -Xms128m -Xmx256m -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar jukes-4.0.0.22-app.jar
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:29 am

I cracked out my C++ skills this morning and fixed the bug in Launch4J myself. Now the Jukes EXE will start in HIGH priority and should eliminate our skipping problems on different machines.

Let me know how it goes!!!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Jukes