Loudness / Featured Albums / Wishes

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Jukes java jukebox.

Loudness / Featured Albums / Wishes

Postby mwcem » Wed May 09, 2007 5:52 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot find the loudness switch on the Jukes-screen anywhere. Has it been forgotten, or am I just blind?

If it's not my eyesight failing me, please implement this basic switch, as I find it most inconvenient to use the computer's own loudness-regulation. Perhaps it would be easier to include the WINAMP-player or any other (like jGUI3 for instance) instead of inventing it all over again. (Somehow you get used to the comfort of WINAMP, so you don't want to miss the fuctionality of that player.

Another thing I just noticed: What I really like is the "Featured Albums" view, where you can see the covers and by clicking play them. That's a wonderful feature I always wanted! But what if there are more than six albums to an artist? You see, I would like this screen to be scrollable, so I can get a view of ALL the albums of an artist. (Together with the info of the year and title, sorted by year would make it perfect!)

Now I come to my additional wishes:

- Perhaps you could make it possible not just to store a "Note" to an artist, but also a picture and an URL for his official homepage.

- Enhancing the filter-possibilities by custom fields. I have some albums, that belong to series (different artists, different albums and years, ie. James Bond), so I use to tag that info into the WWW field and the WWWARTIST for the number in the series. But if I cannot search or filter for it, it's of no big use. So what is needed is a customize-able filter for all tag-fields and the naming of those fields on the filter screen.

- Removing albums from the Catalog. I would like a simple function for deleting a single album from the catalog through the content-menu. (I know I can remove it from the folder and then do it automatically, but that's propably not what you want it all the time)

- Cover editing: I noticed, that the cover used for display derives from the biggest picture in the album-folder. What I would prefer is that the cover is taken from what is stored in the tags of the mp3s. (But I don't know if other users will see it that way as well...) If not, there should be at least a chance to change it afterwards (In fact there is a functionality, but it returns the Error: "Editor contains errors. Please correct")

- Tag editing: There should be a better tag-editing included, because JUKES is the place where you want to handle your mp3s.

- Catalog view: There should be different possibilities of catalog-views. To me the given view is fine, but I know others have ordered their mp3s additional in genres. So for those users there would an additional node for genres necessary.

- Genres: ...which leads me to my final point, that an album can belong to more than one genre. I know this is a common problem with many tagging softwares and the concept of the genres is at the moment discussed at different forums now. Yet it IS a wishlist, so I think it's good to note here, that I would like to add an album to different genres. These genres should (in fact must! - else they are of no use at all) of course be editable.

Okay, that's a rather long list of wishes and suggestions, but you set yourself high goals: "Jukes was created for the serious MP3 user." And I'm a most serious user! My collection is over 1000 CDs and I would really like to see Jukes becoming THE software, that I think it could be.

Thanks a lot for the great work, that has been done already!
Michael
mwcem

Re: Loudness / Featured Albums / Wishes

Postby Melloware » Sat May 12, 2007 8:11 am

mwcem wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot find the loudness switch on the Jukes-screen anywhere. Has it been forgotten, or am I just blind?

Has not been forgotten, just didn't want to clutter up the UI any more than it was and I use Windows to control the volume in the taskbar so I decided not to add the feature, will put it on the list.

mwcem wrote: But what if there are more than six albums to an artist? You see, I would like this screen to be scrollable, so I can get a view of ALL the albums of an artist. (Together with the info of the year and title, sorted by year would make it perfect!)

I thought of those things too, but at the time we decided to randomly show 6 albums from an artists because some of our artists in our collection have over 100 albums and it was too cumbersome to have them all and scrollable.

mwcem wrote:Perhaps you could make it possible not just to store a "Note" to an artist, but also a picture and an URL for his official homepage.

I just have that generic notes field where all of that extraneous info was going to be put like URL and other notes.

mwcem wrote:- Removing albums from the Catalog. I would like a simple function for deleting a single album from the catalog through the content-menu. (I know I can remove it from the folder and then do it automatically, but that's propably not what you want it all the time)

You can do this. Just click on an album and in the editor click the "Unlock" button to allow that to be edited and click the Delete button that becomes enabled. We did not want people at parties to accidentally delete or edit our albums so we have this "lock/unlock" metaphor.

mwcem wrote:Cover editing: I noticed, that the cover used for display derives from the biggest picture in the album-folder. What I would prefer is that the cover is taken from what is stored in the tags of the mp3s. (But I don't know if other users will see it that way as well...) If not, there should be at least a chance to change it afterwards (In fact there is a functionality, but it returns the Error: "Editor contains errors. Please correct")

The Editor errors are that your Genre was not correct. If you click "unlock" and look at that album viewer I bet there is a Red X next to the Genre field indicating it is blank. Genre is a required field.

mwcem wrote:Genres: ...which leads me to my final point, that an album can belong to more than one genre. I know this is a common problem with many tagging softwares and the concept of the genres is at the moment discussed at different forums now. Yet it IS a wishlist, so I think it's good to note here, that I would like to add an album to different genres. These genres should (in fact must! - else they are of no use at all) of course be editable.

I sort of bowed to the MP3 Gods on this one. To be as generic as possible to many peoples needs and other tools I stuck to the normal 150 Winamp Genres and only allow one per even though the spec allows for multiple. I like to keep my catalog as simple as possible as I have over 5000 full CD's with over 65000 songs. I wanted the Jukes to be a simple manager of my catalog and a way to get to my albums fast.

Thanks for all of your feedback and your help so far!!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Jukes