memory

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Jukes java jukebox.

memory

Postby Wendy whiner » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:43 am

Hey melloware,
jukes-4.0.4.28.exe uses the most memory of any application I have running. 118,456K Can you do something about that.
Wendy whiner

Re: memory

Postby Melloware » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:13 pm

Wendy whiner wrote:Hey melloware,
jukes-4.0.4.28.exe uses the most memory of any application I have running. 118,456K Can you do something about that.

Sorry Wendy. Welcome to a Java Swing Application. Not only is it the overhead of a normal Java Swing application but its running its own internal database in memory in the same JVM as the application and the more data you have the more memory it needs. Even a basic Java Swing app loads in the 30-64MB memory range even just doing almost nothing. Its the overhead of interpreted code instead of natively compiled code. Its the price of cross platform compatibility.

The old Jukes used MS Access as its database and those processes were spread out among svchost.exe, services.exe, and OLEDB which run MS Access and the database driver. So even though the old Jukes used much less memory itself as an application, your whole system overall was using more memory that you think to run Put Up Your Jukes.

So to answer your question "Is there anything I can do about it?" the answer is No. I am diligent about declaring my variables final and nulling out references to objects but since Java does not allow for memory management you are at the mercy of the Garbage Collector. You can try Tools->Memory Usage to force Garbage Collection but results may vary.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Jukes