Some Suggestions

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Jukes java jukebox.

Some Suggestions

Postby lmorroni » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:09 pm

- Reduce two windows to one window. This is the single biggest area of confusion for new users.

- Add a shuffle that allows you to shuffle by year range and/or genre. For example, I want to hear all Punk Rock 1978 - 1980.

- Improve the album cover lookup. There has to be a web service for this on walmart and/or amazon.

- See if it is possible to create dynamic links for each CD and/or artist that go directly to an informative website like Allmusic. We could even do this and make the link goto amazon with our associate code in it. If the app gets popular enough, it might make a few bucks, who knows.

- Create a screen saver that uses the album art. Maybe even use one of the default windows screen savers and just use the album art as the graphic? This might not be a good idea if you are going for platform independence though.

- Keep color schemes and stay away from skins.

- This might sound scary, but how about a plugin interface for other supported formats so other people can write code for it. I know that the plugin architecture is the single biggest problem with winamp so this might be shadey.

- Fix the label underneath the album covers taht always seems to get garbled on a screen resize.

- Get rid of the fake-XP-like maximize/minimize/resize buttons.

- How about a very simple meter on the top of the main window. I always enjoy watching these and it would add some pizaz to the app. I'd like to see the "player" at the top part of the single main app window. We could probably use iTunes as an example for this.

- I like visualizations...I love visualizations. However, I've watched winamp visualizations completely lock my machine on multiple instances. If you are going to do this then it probably needs to be OpenGL since that will be the most platform independent.

- Revise the icon list...maybe round icons...I dunno...maybe just add some more highlight behind the existing ones to make it look a little different but not much.

- I think the playlist being saved as an m3u idea of Bill's is excellent.

- It would be sweet if you used a resources file and we could easily make it available for otehr languages. I mean...why not?

- I like milldoggy's idea of saving a history of what you played. I believe iTunes does something like this and then puts the results in a Recently Played/Most Played Folder.

- Add a direct link to this discussion forum from somewhere inside the app. Lets grow this community.

That is all for now. This is going to be sweet....
lmorroni
Site Admin

Postby Milldoggy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:24 am

Being able to read Flacs and Shins would be nice to. For all you live music fans
Milldoggy

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:59 am

I suggest using the center mouse scroll wheel ability to click as a quick next song button. Do it.
Ben

Comments

Postby Melloware » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:52 pm

I think you all will be surprised at the additions of the following in the next version based on this thread

- Ben, now pressing the scroll mouse button over the tray icon takes you to the next song in the playlist to reduce your clicks as requested.

- Mike, both MP3 and Ogg will be supported out of the box with FLAC's sometime next year. The guys writing JFlac (code I need) are not done yet.

- Two windows are being reduced to one

- An advanced shuffle as requested

- Album cover look is MAJORLY improved using Amazon Web Services. As a bonus I also look up track, album, and year info from amazon and correct the album based on their info. Major time savor for looking up years and tracks on Allmusic.

- Fake XP min and max are gone since this is platform independent...I don't even know what XP is. :)

- Tray Icon will only show up in windows since Linux, Solaris, Mac's don't have a concept of a "tray".

- all icons have been updated and look sharper.

- M3u only playlists. Not only is it a standard format everyone knows but it makes Bill's life with the Archos easier and our life with Oink easier.

- resource file is being used. Can be multlilanguage if anyone wants to translate. :)

- history will be kept for a session. This will allow you to "go back" songs as well whcih you cannot do in the current jukes. Plus it will allow you to save your history list, you current playlist, or a union of both. So after all night at a party you can just save the history and you have a nice little playlist of what people put on.

- forums have been added to the Help->Forums menu option. Good idea.
Melloware
Site Admin

Ok...

Postby lmorroni » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:59 pm

seriously...when are we getting our hands on the beta....it sounds awesome.
lmorroni
Site Admin

Postby Greg » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:24 am

Bud -- This sounds great. Can't wait for the beta! Good job!!!!!!
Greg

Postby milldoggy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:04 am

Soudns great, can't wait.
milldoggy

Ripper

Postby lmorroni » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:18 am

I know the feature request I forgot to mention.
A built-in ripper would make this a complete solution. While the 2-window setup is the number one problem for new users, the method for getting your CDs into the DB is a close second.
lmorroni
Site Admin

Ripping

Postby Melloware » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:03 pm

Lar,

I am putting ripping on the back burner for now. I undertsand that is definitely a need but i think most users of the jukes already know what MP3's are and know how to rip or Oink them. So I am putting this low on the priority list.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:55 pm

bud happy to hear you are working on the .flac when I get a bigger drive I'd liek to be able to keep some of my favorite shows on it and utilize the jukes. I currently use Neromix (with plugins) when listening to .shns and .flacs

BUG

Postby Ben » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Hey Bud,
I'm a big Shuffle entire album user and I just noticed that if I go to a song and right click to play immediately. It doesn't do it, it just adds to the play list and continues shuffling. Just want to let you know in case that's a bug.
Ben

Re: BUG

Postby Melloware » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:15 pm

Ben wrote:Hey Bud,
I'm a big Shuffle entire album user and I just noticed that if I go to a song and right click to play immediately. It doesn't do it, it just adds to the play list and continues shuffling. Just want to let you know in case that's a bug.

You are right! Good find. I will fix that immediately.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: BUG

Postby Melloware » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:59 am

Ben wrote:Hey Bud,

It has been fixed in version 4.0.4.28 which is released now.
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:35 pm

Glad to help. Your change worked well.
Ben

Return to Jukes