Performance revisited

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Jukes java jukebox.

Performance revisited

Postby gwelc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:40 am

'Just wanted to chime in on performance issues.
I got a new machine on Monday.

Specs:
Pentium D 830 w. Dual Core 3.0 ghz
Windows XP Media Eddition 2005 (whatever the hell that is)
1GIG RAM

Have not experienced NEARLY the amount of skips when doing basic PC operations. I got one ot two when installing a program and copying something esle at the same time and I think there might have been a small blip one other time when I had Azureous running and I was doing another intensive operation but by and large the skips have for the most part stoppped. Unfourtunatley, i don''t think we can tell everyone to get new computers! :lol:

G.
gwelc

Machine

Postby Melloware » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:59 am

G, That is a sweet new machine. If you did a fresh install it is only set at 512,000 buffer. If you set to 2048,000 I bet you get less or none since that is what I am running with on my machine.
Melloware
Site Admin

song skip

Postby Milldoggy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:14 am

I do get the song skip with a simple mouse movement

pentium 4 2.6
1 GB PC 133 memory
Milldoggy

Postby lmorroni » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:54 am

As most of you know by now, I have had major skipping issues. I'm in a tough spot because I love the jukes but i simply can't use it because of all the skipping. What to do? I'm completely frustrated. I can't go like 5 minutes without a skip...and when I'm using photoshop...it's absolutely painful. I actually queued up some songs in windows media player the otehr day while I was using photoshop..which is just terrible.
lmorroni
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 pm

That is a shame...but I am at the mercy of the API. There is absolutely nothing I can do.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby lmorroni » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:43 pm

I know I know. I'm not knocking the jukes or your efforts at all. It's just a tough spot. I really wonder how much of it is a result of a bad API or the fact that the Java sandbox has limitations set upon it by windows that just screw it over.
lmorroni
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Yeah it could be the MP3 API or the way Java threading works in Windows that is the problem. Or it could be something else we don't even know about.

The only thing that seems to solve it is a bad ass frontside bus/CPU combo. But that is not really an option.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 am

Well it looks like it is a priority problem with Windows and running at a lower priority. The old Jukes used to run the MP3 DLL i used at High priority which is why it probably never skipped along with being in C++. Now the 4.0.0.23 version of the Jukes is set to run at High priority and should cut way down on the skipping.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Jukes