Defaults don't stick?

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the PlacesBar Editor.

Defaults don't stick?

Postby epack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:54 am

Installed PBE on my XP Pro SP3 then-IE7 machine (now IE8), and it seemed to be OK, but then I ran into problems so I had to uninstall it. I'm sorry, it was a while ago now, I'd have to test it again to tell you specifically what they were, but I think it was along the lines of the custom locations I added were not sticking? Not sure now. However since it was uninstalled, my places bar is still messed up.

I ran TweakUI/Open to set the PB back to "defaults", but it doesn't seem to stick. TweakUI shows my custom setting in the first entry (a folder under My Docs) but nothing in the rest of them, which is fine, I guess, since setting it back to defaults does keep that one too. However, sooner or later, especially in the browser, if I try a Save As or d/l a file etc, the first entry in the PB is my custom entry, and there are 4 identical entries, usually, but not always, Desktop, with a plain yellow folder icon instead of the "regular" blue desktop icon. It's not always desktop, mind you, but there are always 4 identical ones. Here's a quick screen shot of what they look like. Note this is in Eudora, my client email program, and I'm trying to find a file to attach:

http://www.packwebs.net/images/placesbarproblem.gif

"EPack" is my user name, but "Elaine" is a subfolder under My Docs.

I had no problems before installing PBE, so I'm at a loss here as to what has caused this. I really like the idea of modifying my PB, and the software is dead easy to use, but what have I done wrong here?

TIA
elaine
epack

Re: Defaults don't stick?

Postby Melloware » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:33 am

Sounds like you don't have permissions to edit the registry since that is all PBE is doing. If they don't stick that means the registry changes are not being written.

Maybe try right clicking on PBE EXE and choosing Properties and then on the Compatibility tab choosing "Run As Administrator"? Maybe that will fix it.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby epack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:35 am

Melloware wrote:Sounds like you don't have permissions to edit the registry since that is all PBE is doing. If they don't stick that means the registry changes are not being written.
Maybe try right clicking on PBE EXE and choosing Properties and then on the Compatibility tab choosing "Run As Administrator"? Maybe that will fix it.

I do have permissions, I'm an admin on my own machine and we have no group policies in place that would prevent me from making any changes at all. But as noted, I no longer have PBE installed. (and I edited my original message to show an example of what it looks like now, btw)

elaine
epack

Postby Melloware » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Hmmm you can always look at what the registry entries are in your registry:

reg:\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar

See if that helps diagnose the problem?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby epack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Only Place0 has something in it, the one I customized. And they are scrambled again. So I ran TweakUI again to put the defaults back, but now when I went back to look at the reg key again, there is no placesbar sub key in comdlg32! None! (and yes, I refreshed it :) Then I went BACK into TweakUI (without changing anything, just to look), and now it doesn't show my customized one, and the default radio is selected (it wasn't before of course). This makes sense tho, if there's no sub key value. And of course that last PB test with the attachment now looks fine.

But this has happened before, repeatedly, as I recall that key disappeared before, and "eventually" got created again, how, I dunno. I'm wondering if there is a bit of a lag time before that subkey gets recreated? Very weird!

I'll try it again after the next time I reboot, and report back what I find.

elaine
epack

Postby epack » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:21 am

Well, couple of days later, several reboots, etc etc, and the placesbar registry key is back, and all but Place0 (my one customized one) are blank again, and the entries are scrambled again. I'm really confused as to why this is happening, why are they not sticking? I'm a full admin on my machine, there's NO reason I can see why it should not be sticking. I've used TweakUI to reset them to defaults, I've manually added entries to the placesbar registry key, I've removed ALL registry entries to Melloware, nothing makes them stick. I'm sorry to have to blame this software for the problem, truly, but before I installed it, I had no problems whatsoever with this, so I have to draw a conclusion, rightly or wrongly. I'd love to be proven wrong tho :) 'cause I really like the idea of being able to more easily modify the places bar.

Any thoughts?

elaine
charlottesville, va
epack

Postby Melloware » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:25 am

epack wrote:Well, couple of days later, several reboots, etc etc, and the placesbar registry key is back, and all but Place0 (my one customized one) are blank again, and the entries are scrambled again. I'm really confused as to why this is happening, why are they not sticking? I'm a full admin on my machine, there's NO reason I can see why it should not be sticking. I've used TweakUI to reset them to defaults, I've manually added entries to the placesbar registry key, I've removed ALL registry entries to Melloware, nothing makes them stick. I'm sorry to have to blame this software for the problem, truly, but before I installed it, I had no problems whatsoever with this, so I have to draw a conclusion, rightly or wrongly. I'd love to be proven wrong tho :) 'cause I really like the idea of being able to more easily modify the places bar.

Any thoughts?

elaine
charlottesville, va

I have never had any of the problems you are seeing on any OS I have run it on. When I run PBE and click "SAVE" my places stick and they appear fine in any apps that use PlacesBar. So I am stumped as to what is happening on your system?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby epack » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:28 am

I know, very weird, since PBE is no longer ON my machine.

I'll install it again, tho, and pay more attention to what happens, and report back if it gets weirded out again.

thanks,
elaine
epack

Postby Melloware » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:38 am

epack wrote:I know, very weird, since PBE is no longer ON my machine.

I'll install it again, tho, and pay more attention to what happens, and report back if it gets weirded out again.

thanks,
elaine

Definitely let me know if you figure it out.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to PlacesBar Editor