Logitech DiNovo Mini (150$) vs Intelliremote (24$)

Forum discussing Intelliphone iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android Client for Intelliremote

Logitech DiNovo Mini (150$) vs Intelliremote (24$)

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:02 am

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: Logitech DiNovo Mini (150$) vs Intelliremote (24$)

Postby fraganator » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:01 pm

I came across the DiNovo Mini by chance at my local computer store a couple of months ago and thought it'd be a great idea for controlling my HTPC, but then I discovered the price and was a bit put off. Shortly after that I got an iTouch as a gift and immediately thought it'd make a great remote keyboard and mouse! I set about writing my own little server application to process mouse + keyboard network messages and was about to start on the iTouch application, but then I discovered Intelliremote on the app store. I was a little disheartened at first as someone had beaten me to the punch, but after checking it out it really is a fantastic application. I made sure to give it a 5 star review :) (it's a shame a lot of reviewers can't work out how to set the IP address and rate it poorly.)

Long story short, Intelliremote does everything that I wanted from the DiNovo Mini and SO much more, and at a fraction of the price. Thank you! I'm looking forward to Intelliphone 1.2 :)
fraganator

Postby Melloware » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 am

Fraganator,

First of all thanks for the props!

Second, don't be too discouraged..I have been at this a long time (Intelliremote v1 started in 2001) so this app has been going for 7 years now. I originally wrote it only supporting 1 remote; the Creative Soundblaster RM-900 and look at how far its come.

I originally wrote the iPhone app just to teach myself Objective C and the iPhone SDK to see what it took. Plus I figured I would make my current Intelliremote customers happy. I had NO idea it would take off the way it has and seeing reviews like this one about replacing a 150$ piece of hardware. I get a LOT of flames about how this doesn't work for the mac, or how its deceptive is not FREE. But I didn't write it for them, I wrote it for the Intelliremote community but now I see it is taking on a life of its own. :)

thanks again for the review and feedback!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby gizakon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 pm

Lol, I was just looking at that toy 2 days ago! I actually had my eye on it for quite a while since 1) I love logitech products, and 2) it not only combines a kb/mouse into a small handy package for a HTPC, but also is supposed to work with my PS3. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $150 bucks when I know I already have the hardware and software at hand to do it already! (well, minus the ps3 control part, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy that IR remote I mentioned in my other post ;0)
gizakon

Postby Melloware » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 pm

gizakon wrote: (well, minus the ps3 control part, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy that IR remote I mentioned in my other post ;0)

Please post a review here if you do buy that PS3 IR thing. A lot of people have asked me about controlling the PS3!! But since i don't own a PS3 its impossible for me to test all hardware etc.... I programmed all the X10 stuff but have NO hardware to test on. I count on Ripvega for all my X10 testing...I just throw it over the wall and cross my fingers. :)
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Great blog post mentioning Intelliremote and why all the buzz about the new Logitech app for the iPhone.

http://morecontrol.com/2010/02/logitechs-touch-mouse-enters-annals-of-remote-control/
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby BubbaDude » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Intelliphone is a nice application, but it's not really equivalent to the DiNovo Mini just yet. Intelliphone is missing support for the Windows-specific keys on the Mini, such as the Start key and CTRL-ALT-DEL The Mini does just about everything a PC keyboard can do, except for cursor keys, so you can use it as a general-purpose keyboard replacement.

The Intelliphone is *potentially* a superior alternative to the Mini, esp. if you did an iPad version where you could put all the functions on the screen at the same time and avoid the mode-switching between remote, keyboard, and mouse. The iPad is a perfect platform for Intelliphone since a lot of its use is web browsing, IMDB, and e-mail while you're watching TV anyhow.

Why don't you get an iPad and see what kind of upgrades to Intelliphone it inspires? I'd be happy to beta test Intellipad 1.0.
BubbaDude

Return to Intelliphone