[SOLVED] iPhone 4.01 keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi...

Forum discussing Intelliphone iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android Client for Intelliremote

[SOLVED] iPhone 4.01 keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi...

Postby Learic » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:40 pm

I tried the trial version but I kept getting "disconnected" from the wireless network when I load the Intelliremote application on my iPhone 4that has iOS 4.01. It seems like the iPhone application is "flooding" my network and knocking out the WAN. It only happens when I use the Intelliremote app. Otherwise my WAN and the iPhone wireless connection never disconnects. I have also noticed that when I try the iPhone app and it disconnects, my laptop that is also using the wireless network disconnects as well.. Again, this behavior is only happening when I launch the Intelliremote app on the iPhone.

It allows me to send about 3-5 commands before the disconnection happens when launching the app. Anyone else having this issue?
Learic

Re: iPhone 4.01 keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi...

Postby Melloware » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:45 pm

I have never heard of this issue. I am using 4.01 also on two different devices.

Intelliremote is a simple TCP Socket interface that is actually less chatty and the most basic of network connections. So I am surprised you are seeing this behavior?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Learic » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Melloware wrote:I have never heard of this issue. I am using 4.01 also on two different devices.

Intelliremote is a simple TCP Socket interface that is actually less chatty and the most basic of network connections. So I am surprised you are seeing this behavior?

I find it to be a strange behavior as well. My wireless / LAN network has been working fine for many years. Nothing has really changed on it. There is also nothing wrong with the server component. I even bought the Full Version today thinking that the continually disconnect was just the trial version. But then I noticed my laptop was disconnecting everytime I launched the iPhone Intelliremote App. I can use my laptop and go to the web address and control the limited function iPhone Skin that is presented. This does not have a problem using the Wireless network from my laptop. It is only limited to what functions are offered.

Everytime I try to use the application from the iPhone 4, the wireless network dies within 15 seconds. If I kill the application on the iPhone, the wireless network returns and my laptop continues to function. The iPhone also reconnects to the wireless network and works fine until I launch the Intelliremote application again. I really would like to use the app and I would like to try and figure this out but I don't see any debugging options on the iPhone side

The iPhone App shows it is version 2.7.8 and the Server shows it is 2.7.9.912. The server works fine, but I can't use the iPhone app since it kills the wireless network..
Learic

Postby Melloware » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:06 am

OK so it has to be something with the iPhone, OS 40 and something in your router. Have you upgraded your router firmware lately? I had the opposite problem of you...I have a Netgear 3700 Router and it was disconnecting my iPhone every like 5 seconds after I would lock on to the WIFI signal. Turns out it was a bug in the router firmware and a firmware update solved the problems!

Let's hope it is somthing that simple for you because I have never seen a device wreak havoc on a modern WIFI network like yours! Let me know what you find out.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Learic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 am

Melloware wrote:OK so it has to be something with the iPhone, OS 40 and something in your router. Have you upgraded your router firmware lately? I had the opposite problem of you...I have a Netgear 3700 Router and it was disconnecting my iPhone every like 5 seconds after I would lock on to the WIFI signal. Turns out it was a bug in the router firmware and a firmware update solved the problems!

Let's hope it is somthing that simple for you because I have never seen a device wreak havoc on a modern WIFI network like yours! Let me know what you find out.

Unfortunately there hasn't been any firmware upgrade to the router. Everything works fine with the Wireless/LAN connection including the Intelliremote server component. I can also load Safari on my iPhone and go to the http://192.168.1.xx address and navigate the Media Center with the webpage like I can on the laptop. This does not cause any issues. My wireless only dies when I try to use the app from the iTunes Store. If I don't launch the app, my phone stays connected to my wireless router without any issues. As soon as I launch the app, it kills the WAN again!

Is your phone an iPhone 4 running 4.01? I wonder if they changed something in the hardware..

P.S. Please don't take this as a mark against your program! I think it's a great and will definitely provide me some benefits when I get this working. I just hope we can figure this out so I can use it! Also, my son has an iPhone 3GS that is running the 4.01 Firmware. I can test his out next weekend to see if it's specifically the iPhone 4 if you don't have one.
Learic

Postby Melloware » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:33 am

Learic wrote:Is your phone an iPhone 4 running 4.01? I wonder if they changed something in the hardware..

P.S. Please don't take this as a mark against your program! I think it's a great and will definitely provide me some benefits when I get this working. I just hope we can figure this out so I can use it! Also, my son has an iPhone 3GS that is running the 4.01 Firmware. I can test his out next weekend to see if it's specifically the iPhone 4 if you don't have one.

I have an iPad 3.2, and iPhone 4 running 4.01 and an iPhone 3G running 4.01 in my house currently. All running no problems. This is definitely very bizarre!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Learic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Melloware wrote:
Learic wrote:Is your phone an iPhone 4 running 4.01? I wonder if they changed something in the hardware..

I have an iPad 3.2, and iPhone 4 running 4.01 and an iPhone 3G running 4.01 in my house currently. All running no problems. This is definitely very bizarre!

Well, I installed WireShark on my laptop and ran it to see what was going on.. I saw some query requests from the iPhone which looks like it was looking for Bonjour even though I had Zone 1 set manually with the IP Address of the MCE box that had Intelliremote installed. So, I gave in and installed the Bonjour service from Apple's site. So far so good. I have been using it for about 2 hours and no more disconnections of the Wireless devices.

I'm not sure why that would make a difference since I specified the correct IP and it would connect but soon disconnect the wireless network. I do have 3 other computers running a version of MCE 2005 - MCE 7 and the other machines have Bonjour installed but not intelliremote...

Well, I'll monitor it for the next couple of days! If all goes well, this one might be Solved even though i don't understand the resolution!
Learic

Postby Melloware » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm

OK definitely let me know how it goes! The Bonjour code from the iPhone runs no matter what but I have never seen it bring down a network if Bonjour is not installed. Bonjour is a very passive protocol using UDP 5353 and if it is not found it is just ignored. Very very bizarre.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] iPhone 4.01 keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi...

Postby Learic » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:48 am

I just wanted to drop a line to say that "ALL IS WELL!" I would consider this solved!
Learic

Re: [SOLVED] iPhone 4.01 keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi...

Postby Melloware » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 am

Learic wrote:I just wanted to drop a line to say that "ALL IS WELL!" I would consider this solved!

Fantastic! Glad you found this post after I moved it. :)
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Intelliphone