Even though this is an Apple Issue, Melloware should at the "least" provide some level of support to fix this problem. Not everyone wants to (nor needs too) update their OS to version 4.x for just one application. I know from the thread that you guys have nothing more that you can do to fix this problem beyond telling your user base the real issue and explaining to them why they need to upgrade. I have yet to see that anywhere on this forum and I think not telling your users the issue and having them figure it out for themselves is well, just a little more than cowardly.
As a windows developer myself, I cannot count on both hands and feet the number of times that Microsoft has done this by coming out with the "latest and greatest" and breaking base functionality so I sort of feel for you guys *cough*DCOM*uncough*. But it doesn't change the issue.
It sort of sucks all the wind out of those Apple commercials and it is as I suspected: The more use the Apple platform sees, the more (same) kind of issues will occur.
I just finished updating my Itouch (and from my previous posting, I have 3 to update for the entire family) and let me tell you that it took well over 2 hours to do so. I realize that you guys are sort of locked into Apples development strategem but still, that does us users no good to hear yet another company tell us that the solution to the problem isn't theirs and that they need to reload their idevice (computer) with the latest OS.
And by the way, the latest OS did work on my Itoch Gen 2 Upgrading from 3.1.3 to 4.2 so it is definitely a difference in the Itouch OS's.