Android version different from iphone version?

Forum discussing Intelliphone iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android Client for Intelliremote

Android version different from iphone version?

Postby alawn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Why does the android one look so different from the iphone version? It looks like the iphone version has the media and navigate sections on the same screen but on the android version they are split up. The android version would be a lot easier to use if it was like the iphone version.
alawn

Re: Android version different from iphone version?

Postby Melloware » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 am

That was done because the lowest common denomitator Android resolution like the HTC Wildfire is way less than the iPhone. So I fit the icons and tabs to fit the lowest common denominator Android device. The iPhone is much more standard in that ALL iPhones and iPod Touches have the same resolution but for Android the screen sizes range from 2.5 inches all the way to 11 inches for tablets.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby thejaff » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 am

I have had Intelliremote for some time now, though just downloaded Intelliphone upon getting a Nookcolor (which I am now running a CM7 version of Android on). I was blown away at the potential functionality of this setup, but did find a few things just a little short of perfect. This thread does seem like a good place to bring up one point, which is that while I understand that the android phones are not of the same resolution like the Apple products are, there is a kind of... dividing line which might make for potential solution if you are at all inclined to do so. Essentially, there are android phones, which include many smaller screens as you said, and android tablets. This division seems to be something they plan to continue, as Android 3 is being dubbed as being the first OS designed from the ground up, to be used for tablets. Perhaps this warrants a different version? Phone vs. tablet?

The look of the current interface for intelliphone seems to be asked about in a few threads, this current thread, the one about the icons not looking 'apple' enough 8^), and a few in regard to customization of the interface, such as for CommandFusion.. Something I am personally jealous of, as it will not help us Android users. I am more than willing to help with any artistic considerations, as I do a lot of design work with photoshop.... but was hoping that perhaps there might be a possibility of making this particular product something that users could customize themselves. Choosing backgrounds, icons of their own design, etc.

Perhaps a new thread would be necessary for such a discussion, if you are up to considering it, or at least discussing it let me know and I will start such a thread.

Thank you.. I am quite excited about the possibilities here.
thejaff

Postby Melloware » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks for the feedback!

First let me say I agree with you the android 3.0 and tablets probably warrant a custom version that is tablet specific. With that said, it is very difficult to maintain multiple version of the app for different platforms (android and iphone) as well as now multiple resolutions (phone vs tablet). I am only one developer so the more different flavors I put out there the more and more expensive in terms of draining time.

With that being said if you wanted to help with the icons I can easily change those. The icons I am using for the app are 64x64 PNG images. If you wanted to send a new batch I would consider updating the app to use those icons. I have to admit I have no graphics ability which is usually why I use canned icon packs!!!

Let me know.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby thejaff » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 am

I definitely would be interested in having a go at designing some icons. I do want to say first that I hope I didn't appear in any way insulting about the 'look' of the program, as I personally have no problem with the look. My personal interest is more in custom functionality of the program, which is what led me to finding these posts. In particular, I am wondering about linking scripted functions which I have in Intelliremote, such as turning on/off my entire AV system, or switching both television and audio receiver to either cable television, or to my HTPC as an example. In some cases, it might be nice to have a custom chosen icon. I mention this just to point out.. I am not personally dis-satisfied with the current look... I was just looking to match function with properly labeled identifiers. In other words, I hope I am not stepping on any toes by suggesting what I did, as that really wasn't my intention. That being said, others do seem to be looking for different looks as well as custom labeled functions... so that's why I suggested it. I hope I can be at least helpful in that regard.

I can completely understand not wanting to complicate things, and that makes sense. Most of these features however would (I imagine) be desirable to Apple as well as Android users, meaning the ability to import custom icons, choose backgrounds, etc. Anyway, just a thought for future development.

That did lead me to one last question though. Is what I mentioned above currently possible? The linking of custom scripted functions to buttons on Intelliphone? or do we need to map them to buttons that would only be present on the MCE remote? I know that works, as I have done it, but haven't looked into if creating my own button is a possibility..
thejaff

Postby thejaff » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 am

Darn, sorry one more thing.. Do you have the current icon set downloadable from your site? Or a list of what functions you would want to use.. I just don't want to waste time making icons that won't get any use.
thejaff

Postby Melloware » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 am

thejaff wrote:Darn, sorry one more thing.. Do you have the current icon set downloadable from your site? Or a list of what functions you would want to use.. I just don't want to waste time making icons that won't get any use.

Emailed them to you...

And no creating your own custom button is not currently possible.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby thejaff » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks... I got really into it right away.. started editing, while doing other searches in between when ideas popped up... and as it turns out, this probably won't be necessary. As it turns out, CommandFusion DOES have Droidviewer app in beta !!! In fact a cryptic message on one of their message boards seems to allude that they MAY be up to RC2... though I am not sure.. someone mentioned a file starting with an R and ending with a 2.. and I made that leap. Regardless, they do plan to do such a thing, which would make this icon work kind of redundant.

I then went back to programing my Intelliphone and got pretty much all the functionality I need out of it as is.. short of customization of course. This did however lead to two other tweaks I could recommend. The android version doesn't seem to indicate which profile you are currently in, I assume because of the limitation in screen size on smaller phones? The other tweak may help in that, thought it does fall into the category of customization again...perhaps user adjustable placement of icons. Meaning, not just where they go, but being able to get rid of unnecessary icons. This function would then allow for better use of the limited resolution on small phones, at least in some cases. Just a thought.

Anyway.. Thanks a million for such an amazing product. I can't say enough good things about it. Its totally worth the cost, I look forward to all future progress you make with it.
thejaff

Postby Melloware » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:09 am

Ahh nice! I had heard CF was working on a Droid version.

As for the Profile you are on it is on the Info/About tab of the Android app. And you can click the icon to change the profile on the server.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby xander771 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:16 am

Melloware wrote:Ahh nice! I had heard CF was working on a Droid version.

any release dates? at least aproximately....
xander771

Postby Melloware » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Intelliphone