IMPORTANT: OS 3.0 Problems!!

Forum to discuss the BlueSocket Authenticator for iPhone/iPod Touch

IMPORTANT: OS 3.0 Problems!!

Postby Melloware » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:12 pm

I was just informed of this by some users. Apparently in OS 3.0 Apple changed the way it works when grabbing a WIFI connection. If anyone figures out a way to turn it off please let me know!

"I was using the BlueSocket Application from the iTunes store to auto authenticate me on our campus WIFI. It was working great. But now this AutoLogin thing is stopping it from working. If I don’t authenticate on the page when that login page slides up it disconnects from the access point. So I can’t launch the BlueSocket APP."

"On the old OS, when I connected to the enterprise wifi, using Bluesocket, I could connect to the VPN to avoid entering my u/n and p/w every time. This was very handy.

With the new 3.0 OS, as soon as I connect to the wifi, the sliding window appears asking for my credentials. If I click Cancel, I am disconnected before I have a chance to start the VPN. If I click the Home button, I am disconnected before I have a chance to start the VPN. I cannot figure out how to start the VPN before the wifi is disconnected. "

Unfortunately the two posts are explaining why the app doesn't work anymore. I would love to purchase this app because auto logging into the campus wifi would be great. However, I can't justify purchasing it when its claimed to not be working right now.

Do you know of any way to get around this issue?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: OS 3.0 Problems!!

Postby Melloware » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:34 am

OK so a workaround is to install a FREE app called Boingo Mobile Wi-Fi and then run the app on your network ONCE.

I read about and tried this solution. It works for me. Install the Boingo WiFi finder app(free in app store). For some reason having this on the iphone stops the auto join in OS 3.0. Thus I can use OS 2.X solutions as before(e.g. Bluesocket Authenticator) until Apple fixes this bug
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: IMPORTANT: OS 3.0 Problems!!

Postby Melloware » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 am

I heard from another user to do the following but have not confirmed it works.

We here at work have found a solution so simple it is crazy. Basically go into the wireless settings and select the network you want to join. Then turn on auto-join and you are set. That is it. Run the BlueSocket app and off you go.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby gwpinetree » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Turning on auto-join worked for me.
gwpinetree

Postby Melloware » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:20 pm

gwpinetree wrote:Turning on auto-join worked for me.

Excellent! Do you mind posting an Itunes AppStore review stating that it works? I am getting flamed on there that it's broken in 3.0 and people aren't coming here looking for the solution.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby gwpinetree » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Sorry to report, it is NOT working for me, after all.

Every time I go back to the university network, the auto-join button is set to OFF.

It remains a mystery.

Greg
gwpinetree

Postby Melloware » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:19 pm

gwpinetree wrote:Sorry to report, it is NOT working for me, after all.

Every time I go back to the university network, the auto-join button is set to OFF.

It remains a mystery.

Greg

OK then the Boingo FREE app fix will work. Just run Boingo ONCE and then BlueSocket Authenticator works as expected from then on.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby aeeverett » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:25 am

Does 'use ONCE' entail creating any kind of account with boingo?
aeeverett

Postby Melloware » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 am

aeeverett wrote:Does 'use ONCE' entail creating any kind of account with boingo?

No you just have to start the Boingo application. Then close it. Don't sign up for anything. And magically BlueSocket authenticator will work like it did in the old OS 2.0.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby aeeverett » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Why are folks emphatic about running the Boingo app only ONCE? I've run it several times while testing BlueSocket and so far things are going well.
aeeverett

Postby Melloware » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm

aeeverett wrote:Why are folks emphatic about running the Boingo app only ONCE? I've run it several times while testing BlueSocket and so far things are going well.

well because after you run it once you can delete it from your iPhone. It does some magic that allows BlueSocket to work but I have written the company and they won't tell me nor will Apple.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jolyn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:47 am

Just wanted to vouch for the Boingo method. I was aware this problem would surface after getting the 3.0 update, and therefore this was the only thing preventing me from getting the update for months. (This program is so awesome and has saved me so much time that I couldn't bring myself to lose it.)

After reading this solution I took the plunge and got 3.0. Sure enough, the Bluesocket authenticator stopped working due to the auto-login prompt feature. The auto-join feature did not work at all, even when "on."

Downloading and opening the Boingo program fixed the problem immediately - didn't even register for the service or anything.

Thanks for a great product and incredible support! In retrospect this is by far THE single best program I've downloaded - free or paid. I would have gladly paid $5, even $10 for it.
jolyn

Postby Melloware » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:14 am

Ahh!!!! According to this post Apple needs to add BlueSocket Authenticator to the list of apps that don't autologin.

http://forum.devicescape.com/index.php?topic=1117.0

I have submitted an Apple engineering request to get Bluesocket Authenticator assigned to the list of HotSpot apps that disable this functionality.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:26 am

Update from Apple:

I'm responding to your question about disabling Wi-Fi autologin (aka Captive Network Support, or CNS) on iPhone OS 3.0 and later. As you're probably aware, there is no good way to disable CNS on current versions of iPhone OS. iPhone OS disables CNS when certain well-known hotspot applications are installed, but this list of applications is hard-wired into the OS itself.

There are both long-term and short-term considerations here:

o short term -- In the short term iPhone OS engineering has agreed to add developers like yourself to the CNS exception list. You can request this by filing a bug.

Make sure you include the name of your product and its bundle identifier.

Please send me the bug number so that I can associate it with this incident.

Any such change is dependent on there being a release vehicle for the change. Apple has not publicly announced any iPhone releases beyond the currently available iPhone OS 3.1, so I can't offer any predictions as to how long it will take for your change to make it into a consumer release.

o long term -- In the long term (that is, post iPhone OS 3.x) we hope to offer a better-architected solution to this problem. However, right now I have nothing concrete that I can share with you on that front. I've made a note of your incident and plan to notify you when we start seeding our long-term solution.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby amar9876 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello Sorry to reply to such an old post.

I am facing the exact same problem , however having contacted apple, they suggested that ios 4.0 supports this through a public api.

We have been trying to use the new ios 4.0 API however, it is still not disabling the portal.

Have you managed to get this to work?

Your help is appreciated.

Many Thanks

Amar
amar9876

Next

Return to BlueSocket Authenticator (closed)