[SOLVED] more help with ati remote wonder please

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Intelliremote application.

[SOLVED] more help with ati remote wonder please

Postby cybmole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 pm

OK so I have this remote installed now. I have not yet made any changes to my cyberlink profiles thou I do see some X10 codes scattered around in default intelliremote profile.

so I've been trying to find out what the buttons currently do:
mouse & arrow keys work as expected. A B C D E F buttons can be programmed using the ATi tray icon

TV button does nothing
DVD button launches powerdvd
web button launches by default browser.

so initial questions are:
1. can I now program TV button in any intelli profile, just like any other button
2. what is causing powerdvd to launch from DVD button - do I look for a possible trigger for that in the existing intelliremote profile or is it hard coded into remote somehow . I'd like to turn that off/replace it with a different program.

just those 2 will do for now.

I made netflix work by installing firefox & making it the default home page, then programmed ATi button A to launch firefox, + button B to do F11 for full screen.

probably not the neatest soln. but I could not immediately see how to launch a specific URL via the ATi interface. it is workable because once the screen is up, all control can be with remote wonder mouse keys.

I think for most other apps I will keep my cyberlink remotes as they have a grid of 3 x 4 = 12 extra buttons which I can program as needed, that is more than the ATI control has.
cybmole

Re: more help with ati remote wonder please

Postby Melloware » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am

Turn DEBUG mode on in the Settings tab and when you press DVD then go to the Settings and press Open Log File...

See what Intelliremote is doing when you press that DVD button to figure out why PowerDVD is launching or if PowerDVD has some tray application that is listening.

Also under Start->Programs->Intelliremote->X10 Device Tester you can run that and push every button on your remote to see what X10 signal it generates!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby cybmole » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am

Melloware wrote:Turn DEBUG mode on in the Settings tab and when you press DVD then go to the Settings and press Open Log File...

See what Intelliremote is doing when you press that DVD button to figure out why PowerDVD is launching or if PowerDVD has some tray application that is listening.

Also under Start->Programs->Intelliremote->X10 Device Tester you can run that and push every button on your remote to see what X10 signal it generates!

thansk - that PC is off now but will test some more tomorrow. I was able to re-program the TV button with intelliremote - no problem.

I could try the simpler test of closing intelliremote completely then pressing the DVD button on ATI wonder -
I have a suspicion that button behaviour is hard coded - though I wonder what it would do if powerdvd was not installed ?
It maybe looks in registry for some file association & finds the powerdvd is set to handle .ts and .ifo ? I eyeballed the default profile & saw no reference to powerdvd
i guess that a similar lookup tells it to launch chrome and not some other prowser when the WEB button is pressed.

my other concern, as with the Microsoft remote, is that ATi wonder is clearly an end-of-line product that will not get any future vendor support. I'd prefer to invest time in remotes that have a longer projected life-span and thus will work with future versions of Windows - any thoughts on that ? Even my trusty cyberlink remotes are probably obsolescent, in Cyberlink's future plans, though they are still plentiful on ebay.
cybmole

Postby Melloware » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I have been thinking about this a lot and noticing trends. I think the industry is moving away from remotes for PC's and here is why...

Big companies want you to use their all in-one-box and not a PC. Think Xbox 360, Sony PS3, Google TV, and Apple TV. They want that to be the conduit into your Home Theatre and not a PC. They don't want you to customize anything they want to do all the thinking for you.

The reason I think this is because look how many companies have gotten out of making remotes...Creative Soundblaster, ATI, etc etc. I think even Microsoft wants to stop supporting the MCE remote in favor of Windows 8 Touchscreens or Xbox 360's.

This is all just speculation but just from what I have been seeing in the industry.

So I don't think there is a "latest and greatest" PC remote that is here to stay. I think we will all be clutching onto the ATI Remote Wonder's and Creative X-FI remotes of the world. I still use the same Creative Remote I bought in 2002 to this day so 10 years using Intelliremote and the same remote.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby cybmole » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:15 am

thanks for comments & I think you are right re PCs & other devices. We recently built an extension & instead of adding a PC I put in a powerline ethernet extender & a WDTVlive - a tiny little box but it supports netflix, youtube etc., it can handle 1080p video & has a remote, & it plays pretty much any media file you give it via USB , + no risk of viruses!

back to the remote wonder. I exited intelli & pressed the DVD button - it still launches powerdvd but what is even weirder, it brings up a screen saying my 30 day trial has expired!
yet when I close powerdvd & press the button again, I get my "proper" version with custom backdrop screen.
there's probably some duplicate stuff in registry - not really worth tracking down. there is something hard coded into the ATI .dll files for that button I reckon. If I launch powerdvd normally I get my activated registered version, so that has not been damaged in any way. I guess I will just ignore that button.

the cyberlink remote also has powerdvd hard coded to its DVD button ( if media center is disabled).

I am not quite curious enough to uninstall powerdvd & see what happens then. I learned the hard way that powerdvd7 has an activation limit of 25 times , which I somehow breached after lots of testing, and I lost an acrimonious argument with their support over that. They basically accused me of having a pirated copy, even though I scanned & mailed the purchase receipt, & refused to reset it. So I just have to install with internet OFF & disable check for updates, then it still activates OK!
cybmole

Postby Melloware » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 am

Yeah I figured it had to be something else listening for that PowerDVD. Good detective work.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Intelliremote