Support for repeats on single-command remotes...

Feature Requests, Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions on the Intelliremote application.

Support for repeats on single-command remotes...

Postby Chamaelion » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:44 am

Hey - love your product, but I'm in a bit of a bind - here's the background.

I recently upgraded my HTPC setup to include a Logitech Harmony - I wanted to take advantage of it's single-command-to-multi-device feature & retire all our other remotes. I found that it had a heap of lag when sending IR commands to the Soundgraph iMON I had installed - this lag wasn't present on the original iMON remote :(

So, I began my search for a way to use the Harmony to connect to the PC via it's on-board Bluetooth module, and stumbled upon a solution which involved pairing the Harmony to it by hijacing the PS3 profile. A previous user had contacted you to have the appropriate product and vendor IDs (Product ID: 0xc129
Vendor ID: 0x046d) added to Intelliremote, and they've apparently been included in all releases since v2.8.5.923. This led my search for appropriate middle-ware to your doorstep.

I downloaded the trial software a month or two ago and was instantly impressed. It all made sense, mapping the commands and profile layout is very intuitive, I love the scripting you've got through AutoIT, it gives me just the right amount of control that I need - I've mapped all my profiles which switch between apps on button presses on the remote - it all works flawlessly, with one [minuscule but really annoying] exception...

When connecting to the PC via the PS3 profile, the Harmony only sends a single command for each key-press, regardless of how long it's held down (if we take the short press / long press feature of the harmony out of the picture). As a result, menu scrolling is only possible one button click at a time.

I've searched the forums, and I understand that Intelliremote is designed to only pass through whatever the host remote sends out, so if you want continuous menu scrolling, but have a remote which doesn't send out repeats when you hold a button down, then the flaw lies with the remote, not Intelliremote. I get that, but I'm just looking for a workaround to my current predicament.

Before we go any further, I've also tried to set the Harmony to send repeats, and that option isn't available for the PS3 profile (although it is for virtually every other hardware - it may be something specific to the nature of it's Bluetooth emulation, I'm not sure...). So, if you're planning on introducing support to send repeats on behalf of remotes that don't do it natively, that would be awesome, but I understand that the number of different solutions you'd have to cater for makes that highly unlikely.

Anyhow, if I look at what the remote is actually doing, it may only send out a single command when you press a button, but there appears to be a universal "end command" signal transmitted when any button is released:

Send("{DOWN}",0)
HID (VID=$046D PID=$C129) = 40 00 00 56 FF FF FF FF FF 01 05 <- Button Press
HID (VID=$046D PID=$C129) = 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 05 <- Button Release

Send("{UP}",0)
HID (VID=$046D PID=$C129) = 10 00 00 54 FF FF FF FF FF 01 05 <- Button Press

Send("{LEFT}",0)
HID (VID=$046D PID=$C129) = 80 00 00 57 FF FF FF FF FF 01 05 <- Button Press

Send("{RIGHT}",0)
HID (VID=$046D PID=$C129) = 20 00 00 55 FF FF FF FF FF 01 05 <- Button Press

Since adding support in Intelliremote's source is unlikely, I'm wondering if anything can be done to utilize this second signal to script a solution using AutoIT?

I've looked through the available documentation, and can't find anything to achieve this myself (although I freely admit that I may have missed something obvious and fundamental). I've also tried searching through the forums on this issue, but I think that you've limited the number of searches that can be executed by an IP address per [insert arbitrary time period here], which is slowing me down quite a bit. http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10726&p=31564&hilit=repeat+button+press#p31564 and http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10414&p=30309&hilit=long+button+press#p30309 have helped to get me this far, but don't really do much with pointing me in the direction of a workaround.

Please let me know if you're aware of any solution to my boggle - I'm thoroughly impressed with the rest of Intelliremote's functionality, and aware that it's due to both the way you've designed the product to work, combined with the functionality of my remote that's the root cause of the issues I'm having - not your code. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue though, and would love to hear how others have gotten around it.

Cheers.
Chamaelion

Re: Support for repeats on single-command remotes...

Postby Melloware » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:15 pm

This was a very detailed post!

Currently I have no solution for you that I know of. That stinks you can tell the Harmony to repeat that button until released.

From and Intelliremote point of view the reason I have never implemented it is that it is an invasive change and my fear is it wouldn't be quite right. Like if I started repeating the button every N milliseconds until I received the stop signal what if the stop signal was missed etc.

However maybe there is something "hacky" I can do to help solve the problem. Let me investigate and get back to you. If you don't hear from me in a week keep checking back with me. I get swamped with my day job and sometimes things fall off my radar.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Chamaelion » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Awesome - thanks for your prompt reply, and I'm at your disposal if you need any testing done.

And please understand, I'm well aware that this isn't a bug in your software - wouldn't be asking if I hadn't followed up with Logitech already. Requests from myself and others for either direct PC connectivity via bluetooth or activating repeats for the PS3 profile have fallen on deaf ears :'(

Thanks again, speak again in a week.
Chamaelion

Postby Ralph » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Wow, this exactly describes my story and findings. I was just about posting the same long message :-)

After reading some older forum post about this I was releaved to find my remote actually sends a release signal. So I really do hope you can find any type of solution to this.
Ralph

Return to Intelliremote