Feature Requests

Forum to discuss iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client for MediaMonkey

Re: Feature Requests

Postby Melloware » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:43 pm

mattnat73 wrote:Thank you for creating such a nice product! My biggest request would be to be able to navigate my library without the need to use playlists. This is a DIRE and HUGELY important need. I think it is far more important than album art, etc. I would put this functionality at the absolute top of the priority development list. I was happy to contribute money to purchase this app, but I'd really love to see further development - especially full library integration. I'd even pay an upgrade fee for that enhancement! It's so close to being a fantastic app - at the moment it's nice, but missing this essential functionality... Thanks!

I totally understand. You are definitely not alone in this request.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:35 pm

I think a lot of the feature requests in this thread have been implemented in our brand new product called MonkeyTunes....

http://melloware.com/products/monkeytunes/
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

half-star increments

Postby Marcos Amaral » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm

I will appreciate very much if you can improve this feature:
... "LOVE the ability to set stars ratings BUT MM uses half-star increments. There's a big difference between a 4* and 4.5* song in my collection! Perhaps: first click = full star, second click = half star ? ..."
Nowadays, when my library has 3.5* iMM shows me 4... :(
Marcos Amaral

Re: half-star increments

Postby Melloware » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Marcos Amaral wrote:I will appreciate very much if you can improve this feature:
... "LOVE the ability to set stars ratings BUT MM uses half-star increments. There's a big difference between a 4* and 4.5* song in my collection! Perhaps: first click = full star, second click = half star ? ..."
Nowadays, when my library has 3.5* iMM shows me 4... :(

So MediaMonkey has the concept of ratings 0-100

0-20 = 1 star
21-40 = 2 stars
41-60 = 3 stars
61-80 = 4 stars
81-100 = 5 stars

The half stars are obviously for the increments of 10 between those 20. Unfortunately I could not come up with any good way to be able to click half star increments. Either clicking the whole star or none so I chose to use the scale above to drive even stars only. It is difficult on the iPhone to come up with a scheme by which our big fingers can click a half star for a rating.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby slaughter » Tue May 04, 2010 9:53 am

Wouldn't an easy way to do half stars be to click on the star once for half, click again for full? That eliminates fat fingering.
slaughter

Postby Melloware » Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 am

slaughter wrote:Wouldn't an easy way to do half stars be to click on the star once for half, click again for full? That eliminates fat fingering.

Hmmm...I might be able to do that. Let me see.... no promises though.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby agraham » Thu May 06, 2010 1:42 pm

I have a suggestion for how to do this:

After you click on a star, the word "Rating: " is removed from the left.
This gives you room to add a button on either side of the stars: "+1/2" and " "-1/2"

In fact you could just dispense with the word Rating in the first place. I don't think anyone would be confused about what the stars mean. :-)
But I wouldn't show the +/- buttons unless there was already a rating to change since it's not clear what the buttons would do in that case.

Another thing you could do is allow the user to give a track one star and then back it down to zero. I think in MM this means "bomb icon". iMonkey could replace the stars with a bomb icon too. This is a handy way to mark a track as broken in some way. I mark really crappy songs with half a star and broken tracks that need to be reripped or whatever with the bomb. Then I can sort by rating to find them later. Also this would help differentiate bomb tracks from unrated tracks.
agraham

Postby walkernet » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:40 am

iMonkey and Monkeytunes are great products and without them I guess mediamonkey users wanting remote control from ipod would be forced back towards the dreaded itunes. I have tried alternatives such as remote players for winamp and helium music manager, and none give a better compromise than the mediamonkey+monkeytunes/imonkey combination. It's just a bit of a shame that monkeytunes seems to be the preferred way forward for melloware, as it forces functionality down the itunes way of thinking. The problems with that way of thinking are exactly why we all choose mediamonkey in the first place - i.e because apple does not think like we do. Anyway, rant over :). I guess my feature request should go under the monkeytunes board, and the request would be something like "make the player as it is now, but allow a the ability to build a now-playing queue, adding songs/albums/playlists at start or end". As that's not going possible, the feature request for imonkey would be:
- Make the player more like ipod player/remote (doh!)
- Allow browsing of artist/song/album/playlist in a similar way to ipod remote
- Make it more stable, still having various issues with connectivity/locking etc
- Allow creation/editing of playlists like ipod player
- Most importantly, allow building of a now-playing queue. If it could work like the OnCue ipod app, that would be marvelous (that player only works on ipod, not for remote control, but it has a wonderfully simple method of single click to add song/album/playlist to end of queue, another tap to bring it to the top of the queue, and slide left to begin playing it immediately, without upsetting the rest of the queue. Also lets you save queues.

I guess for now I will use OnCue when playing through the ipod, and ipod Remote+monkeytunes for remote control. For me, imonkey doesn't currently do anything I can't do in Remote, and that with it's flakiness will mean it sits unused on my ipod waiting for an update. Having said that, please keep developing imonkey as it isn't restricted in it's future possibilities like monkeytunes is.
walkernet

Postby Melloware » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 am

All of your requests...

- Make the player more like ipod player/remote (doh!)
- Allow browsing of artist/song/album/playlist in a similar way to ipod remote
- Make it more stable, still having various issues with connectivity/locking etc

Are exactly why I wrote MonkeyTunes and steer users to it. MonkeyTunes allows me to have both iPhone and Android clients without having to write the code twice, plus so many people had requested "make it like Apple Remote".

What is funny is I have over 1000 users and you are the first person to really want the Now Playing queue stuff. I definitely understand your not wanting to work the iTunes way, I despise iTunes like you do!!!

I only keep iMonkey in the AppStore because some users prefer the simplicity of iMonkey to MOnkeyTunes but not many.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Previous

Return to iMonkey (closed)