Feature Requests

Forum to discuss iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client for MediaMonkey

Feature Requests

Postby Melloware » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 pm

Glad to see there was corroboration of the COM hang up. Just creates confusing issues...will be glad when its gone.

The new exe definitely seems to help speed things up.

The note on setting max playlist helped. I think I was causing a lot of problems with too many and too big playlists.

I have a 1k list working well right now.

Question:
With your approach in this app do you think it would be feasible to access your complete library? (I believe you said you have 70K). Essentially utilizing the "Accessible Tracks" playlist. This would be the most desirable scenario for me. As you can probably tell I really don't utilize playlists...I would like the power to browse entire library(121k songs here) and create "on the fly" lists. I was using iTunes and Remote for a 33k subset of my library and it was great. If you think it possible, I'm in for any testing guinea pig torture you need and a "Gold" registration fee.

Iffy current behavior:
Currently, when you select a "smartlist" it immediately loads it as "playlist" and starts playing from first song....it would seem more intuitive if it "loaded" the selected "smartlist" in the "playlist" window and then waited for the user to select the song to start....

Wishes:
UI layout and function to more closely follow "standard" iPhone/iPod...to avoid confusion...AND...it is a good ergonomic design. For example: Sorting...Alphabetical by Album, Artist, Song...

An aside....I actually bought the Teleport/Jaadu app when it first came out in order to control MM from the iPhone....while it "works", it's just too clunky trying to "mesh" an iphone touch interface and WIMP...it WAS funny to change songs on the guys at home while I was out of town...lol.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests

Postby Melloware » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:39 pm

-Portrait View: Swipe right on Album cover for next song
-Portrait View: Swipe left on Album cover for previous song
- Landscape view: Show time like 0:54 of 5:32 above the progress indicator
- Setting to start playlist immediately upon selection or wait for the user to pick a song
- Network Activity Indicator when loading a new playlist
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby numlok9 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:19 am

A couple of things I'd love to see.
- first thing up, the ability to create an "on-the-fly" playlist.
- secondly, and probably a lot more to ask, the ability to select playback devices. My library is on my main pc, which is connected by minijack to the speakers in the office, and by SPdif to my lounge. Would love to be able to switch without getting off the sofa. Again, this is probably harder, and is also beyond the scope of the application as such.

By the way - Even without these features, iMonkey is great. It works as perfectly as advertised- unlike Apple's iTunes remote...
numlok9

Postby Melloware » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:31 am

numlok9 wrote:A couple of things I'd love to see.
- first thing up, the ability to create an "on-the-fly" playlist.
- secondly, and probably a lot more to ask, the ability to select playback devices. My library is on my main pc, which is connected by minijack to the speakers in the office, and by SPdif to my lounge. Would love to be able to switch without getting off the sofa. Again, this is probably harder, and is also beyond the scope of the application as such.

By the way - Even without these features, iMonkey is great. It works as perfectly as advertised- unlike Apple's iTunes remote...

Numlok9,

Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words!

1. On the fly playlist has been a huge request but its the most difficult. Browsing the artist/album/track library from the phone to create those on the fly playlists is a daunting task from both the performance issue as well as memory management on the iphone. I have it on the list, but I need to figure out how the best way to do it will be.

2. Selecting playback device. How would I do this in MediaMonkey? If I can figure out how you do this normally maybe I can figure out a way to do it from iMonkey. I know in my JRiver Media Center app it has the concept of playback zones where its easy for me to switch on the fly for them but I didn't see any equivalent functionality in MediaMonkey?

Let me know!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:12 am

Can iMonkey work over 3G or Edge WWAN conection?

I don't know why you would want to control your music when you are not home but....Version 1.2 will support working on 3G or Edge at your own risk. Obviously the speed is slower but it will work!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Bananas » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:54 am

It'd be great to see iMonkey with the ability to set the Sleep function in MediaMonkey.
Bananas

Postby Melloware » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:00 am

Bananas wrote:It'd be great to see iMonkey with the ability to set the Sleep function in MediaMonkey.

Hmm is the sleep function like a sleep timer for bed time? You set it to 30 minutes and it plays for 30 minutes and then stops? I will have to look in the API and see if MM allows me to set that programmatically.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Request?

Postby runtherisk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:03 am

I just purchased this product and love it!!..no problems here. I may have missed this in an earlier discussion but are there any plans to stream music to your iphone from MM? When work around the house I usually listen to my iphone and thought this would be a great feature..I'm not even sure this is possible but I thought I would ask. Thanks again for a great product.
runtherisk

Re: Request?

Postby Melloware » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:05 am

runtherisk wrote:I just purchased this product and love it!!..no problems here. I may have missed this in an earlier discussion but are there any plans to stream music to your iphone from MM? When work around the house I usually listen to my iphone and thought this would be a great feature..I'm not even sure this is possible but I thought I would ask. Thanks again for a great product.

runtherisk,

First, thanks so much for the compliments! Hopefully you will say as much in an AppStore review?

Second, streaming music is actually quite difficult...I have looked into it and it is not an easy task. I know that's not what you wanted to hear!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby runtherisk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Hey, no problem..I still love the application!!..and will add my comments to the app store. Thanks again for the quick response.
runtherisk

Postby ozisfloating » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Hello. I have been interested in imonkey sense it was first introduced. I have an ipod touch and use apples remote app to control my itunes library and send it to the airport express. My problem is itunes does not handle flac files while media monkey certainly does. So now i am stuck strreaming mp3's to my aex. Not a problem for some but not good at all for a self proclaimed audiophile.:0 I have over 500 gb's of flac encoded lossless files I use with mediamonkey(itunes is only fo mp3 to use with my ipod, and for less techy freinds to grab the music they want from my library). Using rogue amoeba's 'airfoil" I can stream them all to the aex very nicely, however, I have no remote like I do with itunes and my main server is in another room(kinda the reason for imonkey, i know). So I'm left with three options:

1. Covert FLAC files to ALAC. Sorry not gonna happen.
2. Keep my current setup. Nah
3. Buy imonkey and control my entire FLAC library via my ipod touch. Hmm, might be into somethin.........

But I digress, it's not that simple. As I stated earlier I have had my eye on this app sense day 1, the reason for not going with it is, I cannot search my entire library like in apples remote app. Now, please dont misunderstand me, I'm no programmer so perhaps this function is harder to accomplish then i think. I really would love to start using this program, but the lack of whole library search is a deal breaker, as I am not a playlist person. Way too much music to manage via playlists. I am also interested in your intelliremote app to run my home theatre via a usb ir blaster, but would like to try imokey first to see how I like the usability. My other question is if I were to get intelliremote later does it integratre imonkey, or would I still have 2 seperate apps on the ipod touch, one for imonkey, and one for intelliremote.
It looks like your doing some great stuff here, just need whole library search and I'm on board. best of luck!!!
ozisfloating

Postby Melloware » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:36 pm

ozisfloating,

Thanks for writing. Let me try and answer your questions.

First the easy one. Intelliremote and iMonkey are two completely different products with two completely different goals. iMonkey being remote control of MediaMonkey and Intelliremote the goal of the ultimate universal remote/wireless keyboard/wireless mouse for your HTPC. They will always remain separate products so you would have two separate apps on your iPhone always. The good part about Intelliremote its try-before-you-buy so if it doesn't fit your needs you don't have to buy it. More iPhone apps should offer try before your buy.

Now onto the hard one. Apple set the bar pretty high with Apple Remote. But as I have explained before in this thread that Apple controls both the server (Itunes) and the client (Apple Remote). Plus they have their top engineers and access to API's that us pee-on's are not allowed to access from the SDK.

Library browsing in iMonkey is definitely possible, I just have to design and implement it really well. I have to be careful because I have to write really tight queries to MM to get the data, it has to be FAST, and you have to limit the data going back to the Phone. I have over 80,000 songs and 1700 artists and 6000+ albums in my collection. So I have a great test bed and MM users in mind. But if I don't feel it performs I won't release something. I could take the route of Squidgy where they try and load the whole database from the PC to the Phone so they can search it locally on the phone. However my buddy has it and it takes 8 full minutes to load our 80,000 song collection and crashes the phone most of the time. So that's a "lesson learned" approach for what not to do.

I hope that at least explains some of it. So it sounds like iMonkey doesn't suit your needs but I definitely feel your pain with FLAC's as i HATE HATE HATE ITunes. MediaMonkey is king.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby ozisfloating » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks for the quick reply melloware! I really like the fact I can try intelliremote first before buying, hadn't realized that. I think that may be this weekends project. Now I hate to get off topic, but, if I were to use intelliremote as my HT remote via a usb blaster, is there any latency to worry about, or are the comands sent reasonably quick? I guess I can find this out on my own.
As for iMonkey, I appreciate the detailed explanation. I figured you are not working with the resources available to Steve Jobbs n Co over at Apple, and they certainly aren't known for sharing there Ideas! lol I'm just sick of iTunes and Apples proprietary b.s.! I think I may give iMonkey a try, and deal with only playlists. Gotta adjust to keep up with tech sometimes as I'm sure you are aware of!lol How many song playlists would you suggest are a happy medium for iMonkey. Perhaps I could make playlists for each artist or something along those lines. I really am impressed with your support here in these forums and your emphasis on a quality product,and would love to support developers like you. The more I have thought about it, I primarily use my flac collection for "real listening" sessions, where I don't need access to all my files. If I have a party or something I can just use GASP.... itunes to have access to everything to please all people.lol :D
ozisfloating

Postby Melloware » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 am

Well the latency from Intelliremote to HTPC response is almost 0 since its using TCP Sockets which are extremely fast. The USB-UIRT blaster then to your TV should be slightly delayed. It should still be definitely fast enough for your needs.

As for iMonkey, hopefully you won't be too disappointed... :D
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby ozisfloating » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Unfortunately last weekend was a bit to busy to get started with imonkey/intellirmote experiment.lol It is planned this weekend provided I get the time. I have one last question, and it's in regards to the usb-uirt. I don't have much knowledge on these, and correct me if I'm wrong, all I need it to do is send out the ir commands being controlled via intelliremote. There should be no need for it to recieve anything, right? So do you have any recomendations on a good usb-uirt unit, or specs I should look for. I have been looking on the web, and found many. Problem is I'm, not sure what it will need, most look like they are for use with remotes like the media center edition to control the computer. I really wont be controlling any media on my comp at this time, other than music which Imonkey will take care of via wi-fi. Any recomendations would be nice, I'm hoping I can find one without a remote, and in the $100(u.s) range. Also the longer the cable the better, I'm gonna need about 10ft of cable.
ozisfloating

Next

Return to iMonkey (closed)