[SOLVED] iMonkey and Airfoil interoperability

Forum to discuss iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client for MediaMonkey

[SOLVED] iMonkey and Airfoil interoperability

Postby wesr7332 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi,

Has anyone tried iMonkey with Airfoil? I'm running into an interoperability issue, where Airfoil requires a restart of MM in order to hijack the audio and iMonkey also requires a restart of MM to control it. As such, I'm only able to use one application at a time. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
wesr7332

Re: iMonkey and Airfoil interoperability

Postby Melloware » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 am

No you are not missing anything. This is due to the way the MediaMonkey COM Object API works. I bet the AirFoil team has done exactly what iMonkey EXE is doing and only one application can have control of a MM instance at a time. This is called an "out of process" COM execution. I wanted to make iMonkey an "in process" plugin so that way you can just run iMonkey along with any other code or plugins you use in MediaMonkey.

If you go to the MM forums and look up ComEventSink problems you will see exactly why AirFoil and iMonkey had to be "out of process" calls instead of "in process".
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby wesr7332 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Melloware. I thought I had stumbled upon a nifty way to remotely control MM (w/ Airfoil). Unfortunately, I'm forced to continue my search...
wesr7332

Postby rdelarie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:02 pm

This issue appears to have been solved now with the new version of Airfoil, which no longer requires a restart of MediaMonkey. I bought iMonkey a few months ago, but never used it because it was not working with Airfoil. I am now using both, so far without any problems.
rdelarie

Postby Melloware » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:04 pm

rdelarie wrote:This issue appears to have been solved now with the new version of Airfoil, which no longer requires a restart of MediaMonkey. I bought iMonkey a few months ago, but never used it because it was not working with Airfoil. I am now using both, so far without any problems.

This is excellent news! Thanks for posting. I will mark this thread SOLVED.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] iMonkey and Airfoil interoperability

Postby markp » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi;

First I wanted to say that I just installed iMonkey and I love it's functionality!

For the bad news, however, in spite of the previous poster's success I can't get it to work with Airfoil.

I am using Mdeia Monkey V3.1.2.1275, Airfoil V2.7.5.0, and the latest version of iMonkey just downloaded from ITunes and the website. It works fine with a standalone version, but when I launch it with AIrfoil it still controls OK, but AIrfoil does not capture the audio. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
markp

Postby Melloware » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Hmmm, maybe send a PM to the user who has it working and find out what versions they have? I don't use Airfoil else i would be able to help!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rdelarie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:16 pm

This is how it works for me: in Airfoil make sure that instant hijack is enabled. Startup iMonkey and then startup Airfoil after MediaMonkey has started. The versions I use are MM 3.1.2.1277 and AF 2.7.5.0.

I responded earlier to the PM but was abroad and did not have access to all the information.

I have run into another problem though: when I close MM, iMonkey no longer closes and I have to go to the Task Manager to kill it. It used to work ok, but after a few recent software updates, which I think included an update for MM, it no longer does. This problem is independent of Airfoil, as it also happens when I don't use it. My operating system is Vista Home Premium. Any ideas how to solve this?
rdelarie

Postby Melloware » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:11 am

Hmmm so the way I close Imonkey is that iMOnkey looks for that message box "COM Server Still Active" that MM puts on the screen when you close and as soon as iMonkey sees that dialog it presses "OK" for you and then terminates it's self. Maybe that COM Server warning is not being thrown anymore?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rdelarie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:55 am

I think that this may indeed be the case. I used to see the message flash up briefly but I don't see it anymore.

Melloware wrote:Hmmm so the way I close Imonkey is that iMOnkey looks for that message box "COM Server Still Active" that MM puts on the screen when you close and as soon as iMonkey sees that dialog it presses "OK" for you and then terminates it's self. Maybe that COM Server warning is not being thrown anymore?
rdelarie

Postby Melloware » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:01 am

rdelarie wrote:I think that this may indeed be the case. I used to see the message flash up briefly but I don't see it anymore.

OK then maybe I need to add an option to look if the MediaMonkey process is no longer in memory to terminate iMonkey. Maybe MediaMonkey finally got around to fixing that weird error!

I will test it out here as I just downloaded the latest MM 3.2 Gold.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rdelarie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi, just checking to see if you're still planning on pursuing this. Or has an update of iMonkey been posted and I've missed it?
rdelarie

Postby Melloware » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:22 pm

rdelarie wrote:Hi, just checking to see if you're still planning on pursuing this. Or has an update of iMonkey been posted and I've missed it?

I have tested 3.2 MM and verified what you are seeing. I no longer get the COM error and so the iMonkey.exe process does not terminate. I am working on a fix.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rdelarie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:01 am

Many thanks. Look forward to the solution.
rdelarie

Postby Melloware » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Next

Return to iMonkey (closed)