[FIXED] iMonkey Connection Issues FAQ

Forum to discuss iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client for MediaMonkey

[FIXED] iMonkey Connection Issues FAQ

Postby pcidiot » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:48 am

I am unable to get imonkey to work. I think it is a port problem because running nestat -a I cant see the port 6001.

I have read you notes in Connection Issues FAQ and it mentions making sure intelliremote.exe is set up through the firewall.

"A. Go into Control Panel->Security Center to tell Windows Firewall to allow intelliremote.exe as an Exception."

Do I need this installed - I am now very very very confused, I so want this App to work and it begs the question when I tried the Apple remote for itunes it worked first time and was as easy as pie.

It did not ask for command prompts or stuff that makes me shudder with fear. I have vista(I wish i did not!) but any help with the intelliremote thingy would help

Thanks.
pcidiot

Re: intelliremote and imonkey

Postby Melloware » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:26 am

pcidiot wrote:I am unable to get imonkey to work. I think it is a port problem because running nestat -a I cant see the port 6001.

I have read you notes in Connection Issues FAQ and it mentions making sure intelliremote.exe is set up through the firewall.

"A. Go into Control Panel->Security Center to tell Windows Firewall to allow intelliremote.exe as an Exception."

Do I need this installed - I am now very very very confused, I so want this App to work and it begs the question when I tried the Apple remote for itunes it worked first time and was as easy as pie.

It did not ask for command prompts or stuff that makes me shudder with fear. I have vista(I wish i did not!) but any help with the intelliremote thingy would help

Thanks.

Sorry about that. That is a cut and paste error. It should read iMonkey.exe and not intelliremote.exe. Try that!

Also just to get it working you might want to disable Windows Defender entirely to prove that it works. Windows defender is usually the biggest culprit.

As for why Apple Remote works out of the box...it is because they installed a UDP service called Bonjour on your machine which is required by ITunes. By default on install they already punch through Windows Defender and Firewall.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: [FIXED] iMonkey Connection Issues FAQ

Postby underdognyc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:36 am

I recommend taking a look at the security protocols that you're using on your WIFI network. iMonkey's performance is very variable based on security issues. I have an Airport Extreme Base station running the most recent firmware - I executed the port mapping change as required to get port 6001 accessible on the machine where MM will be running. I removed all firewalls, set up a static IP for my netbook and ran into a brick wall - I just kept getting the 'Server Disconnected" error endlessly. I figured there must have been something hinky in my port mapping config or whatever. After much futzing around, I finally, I decided to nix the security on the wireless network that connects both my iPod Touch (running IOS4) and the netbook where my MM is installed. Voila - the Server Error disappeared and the iMonkey iPhone App could see the iMonkey server on the netbook.

Since I wasn't thrilled with leaving my network without any security, I reasserted the security protocol via my Airport Admin but instead of choosing "WPA2 Personal" this time, I chose "WPA/WPA2" as the security protocol. Sure enough, after getting everything connecting again, the iMonkey (and MonkeyTunes) apps were working fine. It took much more time then I hoped it would but at least it turned out well (until I turn it on tomorrow, of course, and it doesn't). Ah, technology, Ah humanity...
underdognyc

Return to iMonkey (closed)