App connection and stability issues

Forum to discuss iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client for MediaMonkey

App connection and stability issues

Postby rakstr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:10 am

Sorry that this is a double post but after my initial response, I noticed that the thread I replied to was marked SOLVED.

About the persistent connection (iMonkey looses connection from iTouch to server very frequently), it must be possible to correct this as the Apple Remote application performs a very similar function with iTunes seems to have no issues maintaining its connection. Also, taking from the Apple Remote application, it would be nice if the iMonkey App would query for available servers instead of having to be "hardwired" to a particular device. I use DHCP without a fixed address as well as multiple locations where I may want to run the server to play music and it's a real pain to have to provide the IP address.

Don't get me wrong, I love MediaMonkey and it's hands down better than iTunes but the stability and ease of use issues for this paid App make me have to revert to the free iTunes Remote on many occasions. I don't want to be tech support any more than I want to be a hovering DJ when playing music and that's the reason I bought this App!!!!!!

Thanks in advance......
rakstr

Re: App connection and stability issues

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:14 am

Is it possible your Virus Scan or widows defender is breaking your connection?

I used iMonkey for 30 minutes straight in a test with no issues on my WIFI network. The only issue is after 30 minutes the iPod/IpHone automatically disconnects the connection unless I add that "RequiresPersistentWIFI" flag. Is your's disconnecting more frequently than 30 minutes?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rakstr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 am

I'm as sure as I can be! I've even tried disabling both. The iTunes Remote App has no problems.

Also, what about the suggestion to have the App query for available Servers like iTunes Remote does. It really improves the use!

I've got 3.0 firmware on my Touch and have updated MediaMonkey, reinstalled iMonkey, and updated the App via the iTunes Store on my Touch.
rakstr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 am

rakstr wrote:I'm as sure as I can be! I've even tried disabling both. The iTunes Remote App has no problems.

Also, what about the suggestion to have the App query for available Servers like iTunes Remote does. It really improves the use!

The reason Apple Remote can "autodiscover" all the other Itunes in your house is it is using a Service called Bonjour which is running at all times on your PC. It's another piece of bloatware running on your machine when you install ITunes. To use that service you have to have ITUNES installed. I did not want iMonkey users to have to install bloated ITunes just to use that cool feature of Bonjour. Imonkey is a 400K EXE that you can just put on any machine running MediaMonkey. No Itunes needed....

The way the iTunes remote works is different than iMonkey. It uses UDP Packets and iMonkey uses TCP Packets. UDP packets get blasted ALL over your network to every machine on your network. If you do a packet analysis of your network you would be shocked what ITunes is actually doing on your network. It does have benefits of making it easy to configure and find all machine but you are literally bombarding your network. I chose to go the TCP connection route and have you make a direct connection to a single machine to reduce network traffic. In Hindsight maybe I should have just gone the Apple direction, since for them you never really get disconnected because it is blasting packets all over your network and if you miss one packet it will just grab the next one. iMonkey if you miss one packet it means you have been disconnected from the server.

Does that help explain the technical details of why iMonkey is different than Apple remote?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 am

one more thing to add... do you mean your disconnect problems are when the phone goes to sleep?

If so have you tried turning Disable Sleep ON and Proximity Detector ON. That will turn off the sleep feature and if you put the phone face down or put your finger over the earhole it turns the screen off to save battery but leaves iMonkey running.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rakstr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:43 am

Hmmmm, can't say to tell you the truth. It's been a few weeks. To be honest, I started using iTunes Remote the past couple weeks because of these issues. I'll try to validate for you. HOWEVER, not allowing the Touch to go to sleep gives it limited use for an evening party from a battery perspective.
rakstr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:55 am

Agreed. But unfortunately Apple designed it to break your WIFI connection when the device goes to sleep. Unless you use a jailbroken phone and an app called Insomnia which keeps your WIFI connection connected.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rakstr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:05 pm

How does iTunes Remote do this? Are you saying their app is using an API not available to everyone else :)
rakstr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:31 pm

rakstr wrote:How does iTunes Remote do this? Are you saying their app is using an API not available to everyone else :)

I am ABSOLUETLY saying that. Apple has access to API's that they don't let us developers get to. For instance Bluetooth SDK they do not allow developers to touch. So I couldn't make a Bluetooth version of iMonkey if i wanted to because that API is off limits to developers only to Apple. Rememeber it is their sandbox, and their playground, and they own the ball. If they want to take their ball and go home, they can at anytime and there is nothing us poor regular guys can do about it.

Now you know why there are so many superior apps on jailbroken phones...because developers aren't limited by Apple. xGPS is superior to Google maps, CyCorder is superior to the Camera app on the iPhone and it allows video recording even if you own an older iPhone you don't need a 3GS phone. I could go on and on....
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rakstr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I knew that answer! Perhaps I should have used a winking and/or laughin emoticon!!!! :mrgreen:
rakstr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 pm

rakstr wrote:I knew that answer! Perhaps I should have used a winking and/or laughin emoticon!!!! :mrgreen:

HA! Sorry, you would be surprised how many mac Fanboys come here and are shocked when I tell them just because Apple can do it doesn't mean I can do it. :) They tend to get upset. :)
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rakstr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:48 pm

How about adding server discovery? That would be far nicer because the "fix" for the lost connection is to hit the Home button and then reselect the iMonkey app and USUALLY, the connection will restore, a nuisance but doable (obviously prefer it to be fixed as well).
rakstr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:52 pm

rakstr wrote:How about adding server discovery? That would be far nicer because the "fix" for the lost connection is to hit the Home button and then reselect the iMonkey app and USUALLY, the connection will restore, a nuisance but doable (obviously prefer it to be fixed as well).

If it helps, I am a Gold owner......

Well right now when you wake from sleep I try to automatically connect back to the server you were on. So if you Lock your iPhone, then wake from sleep it should automatically connect. Does it?

Now the problem is when your phone goes to sleep for more than 1 minute it disconnects from WIFI and puts you back on a 3G signal. So when the phone wakes from sleep iMonkey tries to reconnect to your server but since your are on 3G that means 192.XXX.XXX.XXX is not a valid address over 3G only on your WIFI network. I was hoping apple had some kind of API that "waited" for the WIFI connection to come back before trying to connect but I have not found anything in their samples or documentation so far on how to do that.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby rakstr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:14 pm

What I'm talking about is when i launch Remote for iTunes, it scans for instances of iTunes running on the network and allows me to select one to connect. The instances are named based on the Library Name being hosted by the iTunes image. No need to fumble with any IP addresses and I can control multiple instances very seamlessly.
rakstr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:19 pm

rakstr wrote:What I'm talking about is when i launch Remote for iTunes, it scans for instances of iTunes running on the network and allows me to select one to connect. The instances are named based on the Library Name being hosted by the iTunes image. No need to fumble with any IP addresses and I can control multiple instances very seamlessly.

OK, if you read up above that is where i was talking about Apple "Bonjour". It is actually a bloatware service installed on all of your machines that allows Itunes to communicate with one another. That is how when you start it magically knows all the Itunes running on your WIFI network.

I can't force MediaMonkey users to install Itunes just to use iMonkey. No one would ever do that since most MM users hate Itunes.

In fact if you right click on your TaskBar and choose Task manager you will see something like "Bonjour.exe" running taking up CPU resources just to provide that functionality.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Next

Return to iMonkey (closed)