[SOLVED] MM 3.2 becomes unresponsive on start up

Forum to discuss iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client for MediaMonkey

[SOLVED] MM 3.2 becomes unresponsive on start up

Postby m_bojangles » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 am

Hi,
I just got an iPhone 3GS today and iTunes 9 was installed on my PC. When starting to set up MM for syncing music to the phone, I noticed a news bulletin on the MM site that MM 3.1.1 doesn't play nice with iTunes 9. So I installed the latest beta MM 3.2.0.1287. I'm running it on a 456MB library that holds 90,000+ tracks over a WLAN (the song files and the MM.DB are on a server). MM 3.2.0.1287 is installed on the local PC and uses the db and song files on the server.

I was really excited about iMonkey and bought the client software in the app store.
Using this configuration with the iMonkey.exe server, MM starts up and immediately becomes unresponsive. netstats -a does not show listening on port 6001.

I'll see if I can roll back to MM 3.1.1 and have any luck. But obviously, iMonkey will need to work with 3.2 which is very close to release. Or is the size of my collection and use of the WLAN for serving up the db a problem?

-Mister B
m_bojangles

Re: MM 3.2 becomes unresponsive on start up

Postby m_bojangles » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:46 am

I have an update on this. I kept MM 3.2.0 installed, but moved the MM.DB to the local machine (still leaving the song files on the other server). Now iMonkey works great. However, it'd be nice if iMonkey could work with a MM.DB that is across the LAN as that is how I prefer to set things up. Any chance you could test that scenario and maybe get that working?

Also, a couple of other things I noticed. iMonkey.exe does not seem to close when I close MM (I end task on iMonkey in task manager). Also, some playlists that I was expecting to use were missing. They started with an underscore, so I'm going to try changing the name to see if they'll appear. Some nested playlists appeared while others didn't... not sure why. So I'll keep playing with it...
m_bojangles

Postby Melloware » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:38 am

Hmmm that is interesting. I will have to try it but I can't imagine why a remote DB would make a difference to iMonkey. I use the MM API for all my interaction with MediaMonkey so maybe their API doesn't like it when the DB is stored remotely?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby m_bojangles » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:35 am

That'd be cool if you could test it out. I've been using MM with a ton of scripts since 2004 and I've never had a script give me an issue with the remote db.

Regarding missing playlists: User error! I just had way too many. I trimmed the fat and upped the playlist display number from 100 to 150 (via the registry hack that you've documented) and all is well.

Thanks for this great app. Looking forward to seeing what else you can do with it.
m_bojangles

Postby Melloware » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:44 am

Well something I think you will be excited about is I have been working on a new project based on all the "lessons learned" from iMonkey that I think every MM user is going to love.

Here are the things I am putting into the new project based on everything iMonkey users have complained about...

1. Ability to connect to more than one MediaMonkey if you switch between home and school etc and have different IP Addresses.
2. Ability to find your running MediaMonkey instance without knowing your IP Address.
3. Ability to browse your entire catalog by artist and album.
4. Ability to do Full Text search of your entire catalog.
5. Connection stability issues with Client staying connected to MediaMonkey Server.
6. Apple iPhone/iPod Touch client AND Google Android client, and possibly others.
7. Get rid of special EXE to run MediaMonkey which interferes with skins and other plugins. Make it a first class citizen MediaMonkey plugin unlike iMonkey.
8. Look more "professional" like Apple's Remote. People don't like iMonkey's icons or look.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:36 am

I think this is due to a bug in MM 3.2

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44663

That thread solved my MM 3.2 startup problems...
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to iMonkey (closed)