Is iMonkey obsolete?

Forum to discuss iMonkey iPhone/iPod Touch client for MediaMonkey

Is iMonkey obsolete?

Postby md0rca » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:24 pm

To answer my own question: No way! I love iMonkey, but I also love MonkeyTunes. Both are outstanding pieces of software. Reading this post http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8163 by Sugmag I have just realized I could use both programs. And it works perfectly! :P

But it seems that development on iMonkey has slowed down or stopped, right? There are indeed a few very nice features I would still love to see.

E.g. would there be a way to jump to the currently playing track in "Playlist"? If you, like me,sometimes load complete genres, it is almost impossible to find the current song and see what's gonna play next.
Or is there any practical way around the playlist track limit, e.g. like a "Next 1000 tracks" button or so?

Anyways, I am sure Emil is already planning something for the iPad and that's where things might really get exciting. Imagine all that space to search and select tracks, sort genres, move albums with just a swipe, "Love this" or "Less like this" Buttons and dynamic playlist changes, integrate everything in a home automation GUI with multiroom and multisource capabilities.... I could go on like this forever..... :mrgreen:

Keep up the great work!
md0rca

Re: Is iMonkey obsolete?

Postby Melloware » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm

You can absolutely use both iMonkey and MonkeyTunes.

Sorry there have not been any iMonkey updates recently. I have poured myself into MonkeyTunes over the last 6 months and I am really happy with the way it turned out. THe only downside is you have to do things the "ITunes" way since that is what it was designed for, but their UI is superior to iMonkey and the fact that I can support Android and iPhone from just one app is really appealing to me.

But I am getting a lot of feedback that users still use both because they need the Now Playing list of iMonkey.

As for the list size of 1000, it was mostly because of the way I designed it. When I started out in the iPhone I did things the way I knew how or figured out. I now realize the way I load the lists in iMonkey is not the most effecient!!! My apologies. Hopefully one day I will get around to fixing this but I keep hoping the Apple Remote keeps adding more and more features and will eventually make iMonkey obsolete. :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby agraham » Sat May 08, 2010 2:36 am

What if the MonkeyTunes plugin created a playlist called "Now Playing in MediaMonkey" and kept it updated?
I don't know if that's possible, but if it were then would there still be a use for iMonkey?
agraham

Postby Melloware » Sat May 08, 2010 7:38 am

agraham wrote:What if the MonkeyTunes plugin created a playlist called "Now Playing in MediaMonkey" and kept it updated?

Until the Apple UI supports the concept of Now Playing or a Queue I don't see how this will be done. I can't believe this is the way Itunes works!

agraham wrote:I don't know if that's possible, but if it were then would there still be a use for iMonkey?

If it were possible then it would make iMonkey obsolete which is OK with me. The Apple Remote is an awesome app.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby agraham » Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 am

Melloware wrote:
agraham wrote:What if the MonkeyTunes plugin created a playlist called "Now Playing in MediaMonkey" and kept it updated?

Until the Apple UI supports the concept of Now Playing or a Queue I don't see how this will be done. I can't believe this is the way Itunes works!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something...

iTunes does not support now playing... OK.

But it does support playlists, right? And those playlists can have any name you want right?

So isn't it true that the MonkeyTunes MediaMonkey plugin could create a new playlist named "Now Playing in MediaMonkey" and add all the tracks that are currently playing to that playlist?

The the user of iTunesRemote could tune to that playlist.

In this way MediaMonkey could emulate a now-playing list.

Does that make sense?
agraham

Postby Melloware » Wed May 12, 2010 11:37 am

It does make sense but Apple Remote asks for your Playlist once and caches it. It doesn't constantly go back to the Server and get the updated list every time you click on it.

But maybe I could force it somehow. Let me look into that.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby agraham » Fri May 14, 2010 5:02 pm

If not the user could just quit and relaunch remote to update it.
agraham

Postby bora12 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Melloware wrote:It does make sense but Apple Remote asks for your Playlist once and caches it. It doesn't constantly go back to the Server and get the updated list every time you click on it.

But maybe I could force it somehow. Let me look into that.

I wouldn't mind that it doesn't update, since the Playlist stays the same for me. I would rather have a Now Playing Playlist that doesn't update then have nothing.
bora12

Return to iMonkey (closed)