JRMC, MonkeyTunes and MediaMonkey

Forum to discuss RiverMote iPhone/iPod Touch client for J. River Media Center

JRMC, MonkeyTunes and MediaMonkey

Postby Robo983 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:51 am

I am just sharing my experience to use Melloware's MonkeyTunes with Monkey Media while running MC 14 in Theaterview. I have read others posts and struggled with the desire to have Rivermote be able to directly access the MC view scheme of Artist, Album, Genre instead of just playlists. Maybe this post doesn't belong hear but I thought MC users would start here.

If you are an MC user and want the ability to use your iPhone/iTouch to control your music directly with MC, Rivermote is limited to just playlist. I found that I could use MonkeyTunes with Monkey Media running in the closed to tray option without any problems of MC losing focus. I tried to use Itunes but it imediatly pops up and takes focus of your HTPC when you use the Remote so for my purposes is unusable. Monkey Media has a free version and used with MonkeyTunes is a good solution to getting artist/album/genre and play lists. I will still use MC to do all my tagging and media management as it appears to be a far more robust interface and better customization. I think of Monkey Media more like a server running in the background than a media manager. I get a little popup window in the lower corner when songs change but there appears to be no interferance with MC running in Theater view. I also imported all my playlist to Monkey Media. I do not use playlists all that often and the ones I have do not change. If you have to have your Smart lists then you could still use Rivermote to access them.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there for anyone that had not thought of this solution as Melloware's Apps are very nice and usefull but because of the API thing with MC limiting Rivermote got discouraged. I still hope in the future that the API will be opened up for Rivermote but in the meantime MonkeyTunes solution is very awesome and it comes in a trial version so you can try before you buy.
Robo983

Re: JRMC, MonkeyTunes and Monkey Media

Postby Melloware » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:56 am

Thank you so much!

I just wanted to let you know I tried to offer JimH of JRMC that I would build a RiverTunes plugin just like MonkeyTunes but since there API is so lacking I can't do things that I need to do to make it work. That is when he got hostile and said I should use DLNA instead! I am really glad you like MonkeyTunes, I put a lot of hard work into it!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to RiverMote (closed)