Server Error

Forum to discuss RiverMote iPhone/iPod Touch client for J. River Media Center

Server Error

Postby jrobbins50 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Great app, but I find that every time my iPod Touch "sleeps", the RiverMote app can't reconnect. In other words, I get "Server Error -- Could not connect to server. Check host 192.168.1.117 and port 6002 are correct in the main Settlings application."

My settings are correct. Those are the host and port numbers under the Settings on the Ipod Touch. ipconfig on my pc shows 192.168.1.117. Also, netstat on my pc shows that port 6002 is listening, as required.

If I exit the RiverMote application on my PC, and restart it, the iPod Touch reconnects. This, of course, is distressing in that I either have to keep the app open and not "sleeping" on the iPod Touch at all times (a big battery drain, plus I can't switch apps on the iPod Touch while listening), or restart the application multiple times during a listening session each time the iPod Touch goes to sleep. And, of course, whenever taking up a new listening session, I have to exit the application on the PC and restart.

There must be a better way, right? Help! Thanks. JCR
jrobbins50

Re: Server Error

Postby Melloware » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:24 am

A couple of things...

1. What iPod OS version are you using?

2. What version of RiverMote are you using? In Rivermote 1.6 I added wake from sleep waiting until the WIFI had been re-established and I have tested it extensively here to make sure it reconnects after sleeping.

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6982

But you are still seeing this issue?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jrobbins50 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:56 am

1.5.0.181 for your server app
3.1.3 for iTouch OS

Every download link on your site that I've tried inks to a zip file with 1.5.0.181 in it -- I can't figure out how to download 1.6 and just assumed the latest version was going to be in the zip file. I don't see an upgrade or button under your hidden tray icon, either.

So, I bet that if you can show me how to get 1.6, it'll solve my problems!

And, while I'm at it, are you going to upgrade the app for the iPad (which I'm planning to run out and get today, if they are still in stock. :)

Thanks. JCR
jrobbins50

Postby jrobbins50 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:20 am

OK, so you mean which version ofhe Rivermote app is on my iTouch. I can't tell, but I deleted it and reinstalled what is described on the iTunes store as version 1.6. Seems to be working right now with the reinstall, in that I can repeatedly turn off my iTouch and restart it and the Rivemote app, and it is connecting now. JCR
jrobbins50

Postby jrobbins50 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 am

Update - right back to the same original problem -- I'm getting the server error on the iTouch. So, how do I tell if I have the latest version of your software? JCR
jrobbins50

Postby Melloware » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:41 pm

jrobbins50 wrote:Update - right back to the same original problem -- I'm getting the server error on the iTouch. So, how do I tell if I have the latest version of your software? JCR

If you have 1.6 on the iPhone that is the latest version. It should wake from sleep and reconnect every time. I just tried it 5 times in a row here no problem. Could be having some other issue going on?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jrobbins50 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Not sure. I did download the app on to my iPad (it doesn't look too bad in 2X size portrait mode sitting on the coffee table in front of my favorite listening position). No problems there. Seems to be unique to my iPod Touch. I rebooted and reinstalled on that device, but can't seem to shake the issue.

Any other thoughts? Thanks. JCR
jrobbins50

Postby Melloware » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:02 am

jrobbins50 wrote:Not sure. I did download the app on to my iPad (it doesn't look too bad in 2X size portrait mode sitting on the coffee table in front of my favorite listening position). No problems there. Seems to be unique to my iPod Touch. I rebooted and reinstalled on that device, but can't seem to shake the issue.

Any other thoughts? Thanks. JCR

Hmmm maybe a hard reboot? Holding HOME and LOCK down for 10 seconds?

That is sweet you got an iPad! I am glad to hear it looks good at 2X. I have yet to see or hold an iPad. Thinking of picking one up soon.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jrobbins50 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Well, I'm continuing to have connection issues. Upon examination, they appear to be related to port 6002. Here's what is happening:

When netstat -a in cmd shows that my computer is listening on port 6002, all is fine. However, my computer seems to spontaneously shut down that port.

I have opened TCP incoming and outgoing traffic for port 6002 (private only, not public, connections) in Windows Firewall. I thought that solved it (app seemed to open and close and reopen with no trouble). But, then it again stopped working -- sure enough, port 6002 is not listening now.

I also have Webroot antivirus on my computer, but it never shows that it is blocking the port. Separately, Windows Firewall is set to allow both J River and Rivermote apps to pass traffic.

The culprit has to be the auto closing of port 6002. But I just can't figure out why it is doing this. Thoughts? Thanks. jCR
jrobbins50

Postby Melloware » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 am

Do you run any Virus Scanners or Spyware detectors? Most likely those are closing the connection because they think RiverMote is some spyware connecting to the Internet!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jrobbins50 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:24 am

Well, here's what I have done:

I have shut down Webroot anti-virus/spy-sweeper
I initially opened Port 6002 in Windows Firewall for incoming and outgoing TCP private network communications
When the latter didn't work, I shut down Windows Firewall
When that didn't work, I contacted Cisco support -- I have a WRT160N router and we tried both port triggering and port forwarding to the 192.168.1.111 internal IP address assigned to my server, both to no avail
At Cisco's suggestion, I contacted AppleCare, who said that there is nothing in an iPod Touch or the iPad that would cause the Port to close
At Apple's suggestion, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Rivermote apps on the iPod Touch and the iPad -- to no avail
i've also shut down Ad-Aware, in the event that it had an effect -- no luck

I have not yet uninstalled and reinstalled Rivermote on my Windows 7 PC (not sure how to uninstall, since Rivermote doesn't show up in the list of programs under Control Panel)
I have not yet uninstalled and reinstalled the JRiver application itself, figuring that it isn't the problem anyway -- and I don't want to lose all the customized settings I've made for optimal audio

But, most assuredly, I can run the app once on either the IPod Touch or the iPad, exit out and come back in -- and Port 6002 is shut down. Netstat -a confirms this.

I'm perplexed. What is left that possibly could be shutting the port down automatically? Can I use a different port to see if that would stop the problem -- and how would I do this? JCR
jrobbins50

Postby Melloware » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:37 pm

You can set the port in both the server app by right clicking the tray icon and setting it then restarting the app. Then in the iPhone app it is in the same spot where you configured the port.

I am not sure the Port is going to make a difference, something on your network is actively breaking the connection.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to RiverMote (closed)