[SOLVED] connection issues

Forum to discuss RiverMote iPhone/iPod Touch client for J. River Media Center

[SOLVED] connection issues

Postby hoppy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:34 am

Hi,

Please be patient, I am a newbie!! I am having really wierd connection problems. I have checked and rechecked all the settings and they are fine on both my iphone and pc. I am running all the latest versions as well. I am basically having intermittent connection problems. Sometimes rivermote connects first time then sometimes I get a server error message. Sometimes if I just quit the App and relaunch it works on the 3rd or 4th time, but sometimes I have to go into the media centre on my pc, shut it dow, relaunch it and then it works.

Please help, I love this App, but am finding the intermittent connection problems really frustrating.

Cheers

Hoppy
hoppy

Re: connection issues

Postby Melloware » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:19 am

I know you said you have checked and rechcked but this sounds like one of two things...

1. Spotty WIFI connection. Like you are not waiting long enough for the WIFI icon to connect before starting the RiverMote app on your iOS device.

2. SPyware or Virus detector/Firewall. I have seen some spyware detectors act like this and block the traffic after they see it for a period of time. So if it sees traffic on port 6002 it thinks its spyware and disables that port temporarily Then you are able to connect then it sees the traffic again and disconnects you.

IF you go to where you copied the RiverMote.exe there is a RivetMote.log file that might contain some clues...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby hoppy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reply,

After having a look, I think it is the first issue of not waiting long enough for the wifi connection to start. Is there any way of increasing this on the iphone?

Thanks for the help. It is such a great product.

Hoppy
hoppy

Postby Melloware » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:20 pm

I don't think so. Basically when you wake your phone from sleep state it then tries to lock onto your WIFI connection. I have seen it take up to 5 seconds before the icon changes from 3G to WIFI signal.

One hint, I changed my router WIFI to WPA PSK Encryption and the lock on time and performance of my iPhone on WIFI went way up. I think it is the recommended setting for WIFI networks and the iPHone but results may vary.
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to RiverMote (closed)