Volume Control - Wyred-4-Sound DAC2

Forum to discuss RiverMote iPhone/iPod Touch client for J. River Media Center

Volume Control - Wyred-4-Sound DAC2

Postby hanshhh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:25 am

This may be a stupid question - but I got my RiverMote working properly, find it great to use and not to have to get up to change tracks when I listen to JRiver. All buttons function except the volume button. I can not get the volume to change with any settings in on iPhone. Is this my stupidity...or is it because I use a Wyred-4-Sound DAC2 with its proprietary software and "Kernel Streaming" in the Playback Options under Player???

hanshhh
hanshhh

Re: Volume Control

Postby Melloware » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:53 pm

I believe its a potential flaw in the JRMC API. When I change the volume I can only control the Volume the API provides which is JRMC Volume. I don't think that have that passing through to output devices and plugins like the one you are using.

I have seen others report something similar.

I think this guy had a similar issue:

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7560
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: Volume Control - Wyred-4-Sound DAC2

Postby hanshhh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:51 am

I have JRMC volume on max and use the remote of my preamp to control volume. If RiverMote gave me the option to control Volume - I could use a preamp without a remote; that would be really what I would like to do. Funny because everything else works fine as advertised.

hanshhh
hanshhh

Postby Melloware » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:32 am

hanshhh wrote:I have JRMC volume on max and use the remote of my preamp to control volume. If RiverMote gave me the option to control Volume - I could use a preamp without a remote; that would be really what I would like to do. Funny because everything else works fine as advertised.

hanshhh

Right you have the JRMC volume on max and that is what Rivermote controls the JRMC volume. It has no idea about your preamp. Do you have some idea how Rivermote would be able to talk to your preamp to control its volume?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby hanshhh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:12 am

I am aware that RiverMote can not see my preamp (McIntosh C220 by the way) whixh is controlled by a proprietary McIntosh infrared remote. However, RiverMote controls my JRMC, sends me the playlists, lets me choose the titles and displays the cover art - all as intended using my fast wireless lan. What I do not get is that it does not control JRMC volume control. I will test the set-up using "direct audio" on JRMC to see whether the problem relates to the fact that I use "kernel streaming"

hanshhh
hanshhh

Postby hanshhh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:48 am

Volume control - problem solved!

Volume control functions perfectly with RiverMote when using the "Direct Sound" output in JRMC. When I use "Kernel Streaming" RiverMote is unable to control the sound. Kernel streaming is used to send uncompressed data to an external DAC (in my case the "W-4-S" DAC2) which then takes over the digital to analog conversion including the re-clocking of data after transfer via USB 2 asynchronous. The quality of uncompressed FLAC - files of ripped CD's (44kHz) is practically identical to the original CD played through a tube modified OPPO 83 multiplayer. Higher quality is achieved through Hi-Res downloads (up to 192 kHz) as available through Linn or HDtracand other suppliers of Hi-Res audio data on the internet. What escapes me is that Amazon allows for downloading MP3 quality for most new releases but does not have Hi-Res format available for download. You still have to buy the physical CD when you want to get better than MP3......

hanshhh
hanshhh

Postby Melloware » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 am

OK great. That is what I thought. Rivermote can only control the direct audio of JRMC.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to RiverMote (closed)