Connection Issues FAQ

Forum to discuss X10 Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android client for X10 Devices

Re: Connection Issues FAQ

Postby nagyg » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi! I have a similar problem: I got it to work on my home Wifi network, but not from the WAN. I keep getting a server error, even though I have port forwarding setup correctly (the setup works fine with a Panasonic Webcam). What is wrong? (I um using the iPhone 3Gs).
nagyg

Postby Melloware » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:07 pm

nagyg wrote:Hi! I have a similar problem: I got it to work on my home Wifi network, but not from the WAN. I keep getting a server error, even though I have port forwarding setup correctly (the setup works fine with a Panasonic Webcam). What is wrong? (I um using the iPhone 3Gs).

OK if the Panisonic Webcam works and you are sure you forwarding port 6003? And that you change the HOST in the settings from 192.168.1.XXX to your.portforward.com address? You don't need the http:// in front or anything just the dyndns name.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:56 am

Help please. These programs (on my PC and iPhone) worked fine until just recently ... this is what changed. I went from my PC being wired to my router, to wireless. I added a hard drive to my router for storage. Now, the iPhone app will not find my PC unless I am on the same wifi. I get "Server disconnection. Check host *****.homeip.net and port 6003 are correct in main Settings application."

I log in to my DynDNS account and the IP address is correct with what my router is right now, so that should not be it. I do not guess it can be a problem on this side of my router as I can connect if my iPhone is on the same network, so I guess that rules out any problem between the router and my PC. I am really stumped.
John-Fox

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:00 am

Once you switched to wireless you were probably assigned a new IP Address. make sure you make your PC have a Static IP address and then let your router know to forward Port 6003 to that Static IP Address.

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:16 am

Thanks for the quick response. I had done that and it is all showing correctly. I also know it is not a DynDNS issue as it will not work if I plug in my actual IP address to the router. :-(
John-Fox

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 am

John-Fox wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I had done that and it is all showing correctly. I also know it is not a DynDNS issue as it will not work if I plug in my actual IP address to the router. :-(

What happens if on the iPhone you set your Host for X10 Commander to point right to your PC and not your DynDNS address? Does it connect properly?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:19 am

In my network settings, does my IP address need to be updated in version 4 and version 6 of TCP/IP?
John-Fox

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:21 am

John-Fox wrote:In my network settings, does my IP address need to be updated in version 4 and version 6 of TCP/IP?

I don't think so but not sure.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 am

Disregard on that. The fields are all different in there.
John-Fox

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:29 am

Something else I discovered recently but forgot to mention, if I disallow the port in my router, the iPhone program times-out immediately, whereas if the port is established properly, it takes about five more seconds to time-out.
John-Fox

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:15 pm

OK so it is something to do with your router and network. I am not sure what that is but since you had it working before and now it doesn't clearly there is a disconnect somewhere in the router config of port forwarding to your wireless PC. Did you accidentally turn a firewall on your PC on or something that is blocking Port 6003 at the PC?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:08 pm

Melloware wrote:OK so it is something to do with your router and network. I am not sure what that is but since you had it working before and now it doesn't clearly there is a disconnect somewhere in the router config of port forwarding to your wireless PC. Did you accidentally turn a firewall on your PC on or something that is blocking Port 6003 at the PC?

Not that I know of. I have troubleshot (is that past tense of troubleshoot?) my Windows Defender (which I have always used) and my Windows Firewall. Further, if the problem were to be on my PC, wouldn't the program not work when I connect straight to it on my network? Are there settings in my LinkSys router you could help me make sure are set right? Would the firewall stop internet traffic but let me in via the wifi?
John-Fox

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:10 pm

John-Fox wrote:Not that I know of. I have troubleshot (is that past tense of troubleshoot?) my Windows Defender (which I have always used) and my Windows Firewall. Further, if the problem were to be on my PC, wouldn't the program not work when I connect straight to it on my network? Are there settings in my LinkSys router you could help me make sure are set right? Would the firewall stop internet traffic but let me in via the wifi?

All possibilities. So you can connect right to your PC not using the DynDNS IP? If so then the problem is definitely somehow the port forwarding of your router to that PC.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby John-Fox » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:16 pm

Melloware wrote:
John-Fox wrote:Not that I know of. I have troubleshot (is that past tense of troubleshoot?) my Windows Defender (which I have always used) and my Windows Firewall. Further, if the problem were to be on my PC, wouldn't the program not work when I connect straight to it on my network? Are there settings in my LinkSys router you could help me make sure are set right? Would the firewall stop internet traffic but let me in via the wifi?

All possibilities. So you can connect right to your PC not using the DynDNS IP? If so then the problem is definitely somehow the port forwarding of your router to that PC.

Yes, if I put 192.168.1.104 in the app, and am on my network, I connect easily. I agree about the port forwarding, but cannot find a patch. As I stated earlier, the router is processing the forward because if I take the forward out, the app times-out immediately. If I have the forward in place in the router, it takes about 5 more seconds. :cry:
John-Fox

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:19 pm

John-Fox wrote:Yes, if I put 192.168.1.104 in the app, and am on my network, I connect easily. I agree about the port forwarding, but cannot find a patch. As I stated earlier, the router is processing the forward because if I take the forward out, the app times-out immediately. If I have the forward in place in the router, it takes about 5 more seconds. :cry:

OK so you have done some good debugging. The only thing I can suggest is maybe a reboot of the PC or reboot of the router?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to X10 Commander