[SOLVED] Server error message

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

[SOLVED] Server error message

Postby jonale » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:00 am

Hi Melloware,

I just installed a new dimmer from Intermatic (CA600) but when I turn it on or off, Commander responds with a "Server Error. The device did not respond" message. The dimmer was working fine up until this evening. My other dimmers using Commander all work fine. Also, when I physically turn the dimmer on or off, it seems to work.
jonale

Re: Server error message

Postby Melloware » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:13 am

That error means that the API could not communicate with the device. I bet if you close Zwave Commander and re-open ThinkEssentials and try and click that dimmer you get a Red X that the device is no longer communicating.

I have the same problem with my Intermatic HA05 above my garage. It does not respond when it is two hops away yet if I walk the USB key over to it with my laptop it works fine. As soon as I move the key back inside and "Optimize Network" it still can't find it. If you search the ControlThink forums you will see a lot of users reporting the same problems.

I think they have it narrowed down to a bug in the firmware.

http://forums.controlthink.com/p/1887/6515.aspx

http://forums.controlthink.com/t/1986.aspx
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby jonale » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks Melloware for your prompt response. I did exactly what you mentioned and it did work when I went upstairs with my laptop. I'm hoping that they will fix this bug soon. I will be installing quite a few more dimmers during my vacation period.
jonale

Postby Melloware » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:20 am

jonale wrote:Thanks Melloware for your prompt response. I did exactly what you mentioned and it did work when I went upstairs with my laptop. I'm hoping that they will fix this bug soon. I will be installing quite a few more dimmers during my vacation period.

I totally agree. I have been badgering them to fix this error and they have not done a firmware update or a SDK update in almost a YEAR now. very disappointing from ControlThink. I know they changed ownership in the last year but they really need to fix this bug in the firmware.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Server error message

Postby jonale » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:51 pm

jonale wrote:Hi Melloware,

I just installed a new dimmer from Intermatic (CA600) but when I turn it on or off, Commander responds with a "Server Error. The device did not respond" message. The dimmer was working fine up until this evening. My other dimmers using Commander all work fine. Also, when I physically turn the dimmer on or off, it seems to work.

This is to inform you that I installed the latest build from ControlThink (ThinkEssentials v2.4 Beta (build1) last week and it seems to have resolve the "server error" problem. Everything is work fine at the moment.
jonale

Postby Cajun » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:21 pm

jonale wrote:
jonale wrote:Hi Melloware,

This is to inform you that I installed the latest build from ControlThink (ThinkEssentials v2.4 Beta (build1) last week and it seems to have resolve the "server error" problem. Everything is work fine at the moment.

Does this make sence? Granted I am new to all of this but would updating the version of TE really have any impact on Zwave commander? I guess I could see this if you upgrade the firmware on the stick itself and maybe i am missing more interactions than are really at play here. I am having the same "Server Error. The device did not respond" occasionally on one device. is upgrading TE really the fix?
Cajun

Postby Melloware » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:28 pm

It could have been the latest TE and then "Optimizing the network" in TE.

If you are having troubles with Device Did Not respond that means your network is not routing to it properly, it is too far out of range, or it is defective.

What type of device are you getting this on? I have Intermatic HA05 Screw In modules and if you don't screw them in the socket all the way they give me this error.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Cajun » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Melloware wrote:It could have been the latest TE and then "Optimizing the network" in TE.

If you are having troubles with Device Did Not respond that means your network is not routing to it properly, it is too far out of range, or it is defective.

What type of device are you getting this on? I have Intermatic HA05 Screw In modules and if you don't screw them in the socket all the way they give me this error.

Thanks for the quick reply...

Its a HA02 appliance module. It is outside probably 60-70ft from the closest z wave device and about the same distance from the laptop.... Now the module is enclosed in a outdoor enclosure made of metal so i know its not ideal.... Its for a waterfall pump that I have in a small fishpond in my backyard. The interesting thing is my HA07 remote (the primary) never has issues and its much further away from the pond than the laptop with my USB stick. Can I optomize with TE if its not my primary and also is this an option with the non Pro version of TE?
Cajun

Postby Melloware » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Cajun wrote:[
Thanks for the quick reply...

Its a HA02 appliance module. It is outside probably 60-70ft from the closest z wave device and about the same distance from the laptop.... Now the module is enclosed in a outdoor enclosure made of metal so i know its not ideal.... Its for a waterfall pump that I have in a small fishpond in my backyard. The interesting thing is my HA07 remote (the primary) never has issues and its much further away from the pond than the laptop with my USB stick. Can I optomize with TE if its not my primary and also is this an option with the non Pro version of TE?

Ahhh 60-70 feet is little far. I am not sure if you can Optimize network as the secondary but you can certainly try it. Also weird that your remote works with it but not the ThinkStick so this makes me think the Optimize will help as it will update routing tables of the network. If not try posting on the ControlThink forums this issue as some of the hardware experts there might be able to help!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Cajun » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:09 pm

OK... Here is the latest update. I could not optimize with TE being a secondary controller so I made TE primary unfortunately I don't have the pro version so I had to start from scratch. Not a big deal as I only have 4 devices right now.

After adding all devices I selected optimize and everything works all the time now. but..... When I turn on the waterfall (HA02 appliance module) from z-wave commander I still get this error. The waterfall pump comes on and works fine and I have yet to get the error when turning it off just when i turn it on.

I have also verified that status updates to this module are working because when i turn it off with another controller zwave commander reflect the status change in its next polling interval. Any thoughts on this error happening even though the device responded correctly. This not that really a big deal just more of a nagging occurrence at this point.

My guess is the popup error message timer is lower than the time it takes for the acknowledgment to back to the zwave commander that the command was received successfully. Is this a user adjustable field?
Cajun

Postby Melloware » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:32 pm

It actually isn't a timer I this error is coming from the SDK. Essentially my code does this...

Code: Select all
try {
    HA02.Level = ON;
} catch (Exception ex) {
   Error = "Device did not respond!"
}

So the exception is being thrown inside the SDK when setting the level of that device. This is the only mention of HA02 problems with the SDK I can find...

http://forums.controlthink.com/p/2109/7407.aspx#7407

So it sounds like a bug in the SDK.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander