[SOLVED] Must ThinkEssentials be the Primary Controller?

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

[SOLVED] Must ThinkEssentials be the Primary Controller?

Postby markmast » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Is it an absolute requirement that TE be the Primary controller for ZWave? (Many users would seem to prefer to have a small remote like an HA09 or 07 to register devices ...)

Also, does ZWave Commander access the ThinkEssentials device lists, etc. such that the "location" of both ThinkEssentials and ZWave Commander folders is critical to successful use? Thanks!
markmast

Re: Must ThinkEssentials be the Primary Controller?

Postby Melloware » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:28 pm

markmast wrote:Is it an absolute requirement that TE be the Primary controller for ZWave? (Many users would seem to prefer to have a small remote like an HA09 or 07 to register devices ...)

Nope. Zwave commander can use your device if it is a secondary controller. A lot of people bought a TE USB ThinkStick as a secondary just to use with Zwave Commander and left their primary controller as is. See this thread for an example...

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7472

markmast wrote:Also, does ZWave Commander access the ThinkEssentials device lists, etc. such that the "location" of both ThinkEssentials and ZWave Commander folders is critical to successful use? Thanks!

Not currently. You can put Zwave Commander anywhere on your PC you want. It does not use anything from ThinkEssentials and read all the zwave network and device information from the USB key. However ControlThink contacted me and is asking me to sign an NDA agreement that they might allow me to access their database of scenes and zones/areas that were configured inside of ThinkEssentials. That would be excellent!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby markmast » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:47 pm

Many thanks for the two responses - very helpful. And yes, it would great if scenes/zones could be imported from ThinkEssentials.
markmast

Postby Melloware » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:58 pm

markmast wrote:Many thanks for the two responses - very helpful. And yes, it would great if scenes/zones could be imported from ThinkEssentials.

The ControlThink legal team is working on it (supposedly). They are supposed to send me some legal documents to sign and then they will release the API to me on how to use their database of Scenes and Zones!
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander