Scene control.... I need some

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

Scene control.... I need some

Postby Cajun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Couple of questions...

I have some intermatic switches and lamp modules. From what i have read I understand the modules can't store scene info in this but the controller does. My understanding is think essentials can use these for scenes but z-wave commander can't access this info.

My question is why can't zwave commander just allow me to create my own scenes in it? wouldn't this solve the problem? I must be missing somthing here but it seems easy since it can control any device at any time why not have this abality to control multiple devices from a single click. really isn't that all a scene is?

Also what exactly is the link between thinkessencials and z-wave commander. It seems I have to name devices in each (no correlation). Also zones in each seem to be independant of each other.

Lastly, asside from them having the abality to store scene info what is the avantage of the Leviton Vizia RF switches and do you really need there overpriced remot just to program them?

BTW I do like the zwave commander I would just like to understand the pros and cons of continuing to buy intermatic products over leviton going forward.
Cajun

Re: Scene control.... I need some

Postby Melloware » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Great questions!

1. Stay away from Intermatic entirely. You can't store device names or scene information in them. That is why you are having problems. Plus I believe they have announced they are getting out the Zwave business entirely.

2. So let me explain. In a Leviton RF+ device it stores the name and the Scene information right in it. So when you create a name and a scene it automatically appears in Zwave Commander because I get the name and scene info right out the device. This is awesome since I can access all of this with the API.

For Intermatic devices ThinkEssentials is essentially creating a "database" of your device names and the scene info. When you then move to Zwave Commander none of that information is available because it is encrypted in the ThinkEssentials database. Now ThinkEssentials is thinking about opening up their database to third party developers like me but they haven't done it yet.

What I wanted to avoid was re-creating the entire ThinkEssentials product in Zwave Commander because that is a huge investment and ControlThink doesn't update the SDK as fast as they update their THinkEssentials product. I originally wrote it just to access my Zwave network from my iPhone.

The ideal solution would be if ControlTHink would just add my Zwave Commander protocol right into TE so you could just run one app for everything!

I suggest giving your vote and voice to this thread: http://forums.controlthink.com/t/1963.aspx
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Cajun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:58 pm

If I do get Leviton RF+ devices do i need their remote to program it? Aside from the names and direct scene access stored in the device, I don't see a big advantage to justify the price difference. Is there something else I am missing?
Cajun

Postby Melloware » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Cajun wrote:If I do get Leviton RF+ devices do i need their remote to program it? Aside from the names and direct scene access stored in the device, I don't see a big advantage to justify the price difference. Is there something else I am missing?

You don't need their remote. I program them right in THinkEssentials.

Besides the storing of name and scene you will find they of higher quality all around compared to Intermatic. I have had two Intermatic HA03's and 1 Intermatic HA05 fail on me in two years. I have never had a single failure with the Leviton RF+ stuff.
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander