ZwaveCommander.exe will not initialize

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

ZwaveCommander.exe will not initialize

Postby blade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:09 am

I have done several searches to attempt to find out if I am doing something wrong.... sorry if I have overlooked something obvious.

I am running ControlThink via parallels on a MacMini without a problem, but when I try to run ZwaveCommander.exe, it just crashes... it will not even initialize and just gives me the "Send error report to Microsoft" Box.

The README states:

Code: Select all
3. Installation
   ------------
   SERVER:
   -> Simply copy the ZWaveCommander.exe somewhere on your PC where you have your ZWave CM15A module and run

I have no idea what a "Zwave CM15A module" is and I can not seem to find anything like this on my system.... Any help in getting this to run would be greatly appreciated!
blade

Re: ZwaveCommander.exe will not initialize

Postby Melloware » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:22 am

Sorry that CM15A is a typo, it means your ThinkStick.

1. Make sure ThinkEssentials is NOT running when you try and start Zwave Commander. Both can't access the stick at the same time.

2. Where did you see that CM15A? That was in an OLD readme, do you have the latest Zwave Commander EXE from our website? Make sure you download the latest Server EXE.

http://melloware.com/products/zwave/readme.txt

3. Do you have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed on your Windows instance in Parrallels?

4. Did you copy ALL of the contents from our zwave-server.zip into the directory and not just the EXE. For example the .log4net file?

Let me know after looking at all of the above.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby blade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:37 am

Melloware wrote:Sorry that CM15A is a typo, it means your ThinkStick.

1. Make sure ThinkEssentials is NOT running when you try and start Zwave Commander. Both can't access the stick at the same time.

I attempted running it with TE both running and not running.... got the same response.

Melloware wrote:2. Where did you see that CM15A? That was in an OLD readme, do you have the latest Zwave Commander EXE from our website? Make sure you download the latest Server EXE.

http://melloware.com/products/zwave/readme.txt

I downloaded the latest build (modified 1/25/10) and its still there in the README that accompanied the latest download... listed as modified on 1/6/10 7:31pm.

Melloware wrote:3. Do you have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed on your Windows instance in Parrallels?

Yes, I am almost certain I do as I do not think ControlThink will run without it.

Melloware wrote:4. Did you copy ALL of the contents from our zwave-server.zip into the directory and not just the EXE. For example the .log4net file?

Yes, and I placed both in the ControlThink directory which contains all the ThinkEssentials.exe and all its .dll files... is this where its supposed to be?

BTW, thank you for your incredibly fast response to my thread!
blade

Postby Melloware » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:41 am

OK I think the problem is the ControlThink directory.

Try and create a C:\Zwave directory and put the files there. Maybe being in the ControlTHink directory is screwing it up?

Zwave Commander directory should only have 4 files in it...

license.txt
readme.txt
ZwaveCommander.exe
ZwaveCommander.exe.log4net

There should be no DLL's or anything else there.

Try that.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby blade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:46 am

Melloware wrote:OK I think the problem is the ControlThink directory.

Try and create a C:\Zwave directory and put the files there. Maybe being in the ControlTHink directory is screwing it up?

Zwave Commander directory should only have 4 files in it...

license.txt
readme.txt
ZwaveCommander.exe
ZwaveCommander.exe.log4net

There should be no DLL's or anything else there.

Try that.

Tried that initially... the zwave-server folder is on my desktop as is the TE folder. It was only after it crashed that I moved a copy to the TE folder.
blade

Postby Melloware » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:49 am

Hmmm....

I have tried this EXE on 3 machines. 2 Windows 7 and 1 Windows XP. Some with a ControlThink Stick others without and it all cases it starts.

Is there any info in the crash log from .Net framwork?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby blade » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:02 am

Melloware wrote:Hmmm....

I have tried this EXE on 3 machines. 2 Windows 7 and 1 Windows XP. Some with a ControlThink Stick others without and it all cases it starts.

Is there any info in the crash log from .Net framwork?

I am running XP Pro SP3 via Parallels... I am looking through the crash file, and there are 39 modules that it cites. I am not sure what would be part of .NET and what isnt.... Is there someway for me to check .NET?
blade

Postby Melloware » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 am

Hmmm XP Pro SP3 should be fine. Can you send me the 39 modules or a dump of whatever you are seeing? The more info the better.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby blade » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 am

Melloware wrote:Hmmm XP Pro SP3 should be fine. Can you send me the 39 modules or a dump of whatever you are seeing? The more info the better.

I checked my VM and it shows that I have .NET 1.1, 2.0, and 3.5 all installed... as I said, TE needs .NET 2.0 minimum, and it seems to be running fine.

I am trying to cut/paste the error window, but it doesnt appear to be letting me highlight anything to cut/paste. I seem to have lost some of my windows navigating skills since going Mac a year ago... Can you give me a suggestion on how to get you this error detail.... its rather large, and there is no way i could type this up for you.
blade

Postby Melloware » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:25 pm

You could take a screenshot with ALT+PRINTSCREEN? And then email it to me.

Yeah it ThinkEssentials works on your XP SP3 then it has .NET 2.0 on it already which is all ZC exe needs so I can't imagine that is the problem.

Can you right click the EXE and try and choose Properties and then go into the Compatibility tab and maybe try some options there? Like running it in some other mode or anythign like that?

I no longer even use XP here to try it as all of my machines have been converted to Windows 7.

Do you have any other Windows PC's to try it on jsut to make sure it isn't that Corrupt EXE? You don't even need to have a ThinkStick if you want to try it on a Friends PC. IT should work and just throw an error in the zwave.log saying the key can't be found but will continue to run. It shouldn't crash.

If it does try Running As Administrator? I don't know if XP SP3 has the Run As Administrator option on the Compatibility tab of the EXE or if that is Vista and Windows 7 only.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander