[SOLVED] Connection issues

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

Re: [SOLVED] Connection issues

Postby Melloware » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:17 am

My only thought now is the USB Stick is somehow defective.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Twaves » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:39 am

Thats what i was thinking, thats why i tried a second one they both do the same thing, im about to try a different computer, will this stick support USB 1.0? I only other computer i can try is an older one with a USB 1.0 running XP.
Twaves

Postby Melloware » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:47 am

Twaves wrote:Thats what i was thinking, thats why i tried a second one they both do the same thing, im about to try a different computer, will this stick support USB 1.0? I only other computer i can try is an older one with a USB 1.0 running XP.

Try another PC. I though the stick was USB 2.0 but I could be wrong.

My other thought is maybe your USB controller on your PC is somehow flaky which would explain no matter how you hook it up to your computer you are seeing the same behavior.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby stbluesrul » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 am

Twaves wrote:Thats what i was thinking, thats why i tried a second one they both do the same thing, im about to try a different computer, will this stick support USB 1.0? I only other computer i can try is an older one with a USB 1.0 running XP.

I've used the ThinkStick on an old IBM Thinkpad with 1.1 ports, it seems to work just fine.
stbluesrul

Postby Twaves » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:19 am

I just set up a new PC with a fresh install of XP Pro, and USB 2.0. This is a clean system, there are no other programs running. I installed control think, z wave commander, and the USB stick. It ran fine for just over 24 hrs, then I got the same issue as before, “ZWave: Controller Disconnected” (message in the log file) My devices showed on the iPhone but did not turn anything on or off. Even though it was disconnected the light on the stick was still lit.

Thus far I have tried 2 separate USB sticks, different USB ports, a powered USB hub, and now a different PC. The USB stick (both of them) is still disconnecting on both of my PCs. The new PC has only the zwave control think, z wave commander running, I wanted to make sure that no other programs were interfering, and causing it to disconnect.

I am at a total loss here on what to do next. Please Help! This iphone app and the zwave commander is useless when it disconnects. You have to close the commander and reopen it to get it to work again, and that only for a limited time. (I can’t close the commander and reopen it when I am not home)
Thanks
Twaves

Postby Melloware » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:23 am

i totally agree with you that is it useless if it disconnects. I have NO idea what would be causing that. I have been running mine now for 2 months straight since the last time I even rebooted that machine with no problems.

Since it is two different sticks and different machines the only thing I can think of is some kind of power surges in your house or something whacky like that? is their any other software you are running that does something at the same time every day? The weird part is, it is about 24 hours after starting it right? That is very bizarre.

I have never seen any behavior like this. I am stumped. I am at a loss of anything else for you to even try!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Twaves » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 am

Melloware wrote:i totally agree with you that is it useless if it disconnects. I have NO idea what would be causing that. I have been running mine now for 2 months straight since the last time I even rebooted that machine with no problems.

Since it is two different sticks and different machines the only thing I can think of is some kind of power surges in your house or something whacky like that? is their any other software you are running that does something at the same time every day? The weird part is, it is about 24 hours after starting it right? That is very bizarre.

I have never seen any behavior like this. I am stumped. I am at a loss of anything else for you to even try!

Both of my PCs are on UPS / battery backups, there are no errors in the UPS logs, I have also made sure that there are no other programs running. I am trying to isolate this.

The old PC, when I first installed zwave would run anywhere from 12-18 hours before disconnecting, the past few days it was VERY intermittent on when it would disconnect, some times only a few hours to several hours.
On the new PC I started it at 7pm on the 3/31 it ran ok till 1pm on 4/1 (sorry I thought it made it 24 hrs) only 18 or so. I reset it when I got home at 4pm yesterday, just checked it from work now and it looks ok so far. The question is when will it disconnect again.

The disconnect is NOT at the same time each day, it varies and is very intermittent, on when it disconnects and how long it will run.
Twaves

Postby Twaves » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:52 am

Is there a e-mail or number I contact you at outside this forum?
If so please forward it to me at: TastyWaves@aol.com
Twaves

Postby Melloware » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:11 am

Twaves wrote:Is there a e-mail or number I contact you at outside this forum?
If so please forward it to me at: TastyWaves@aol.com

I emailed you.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:51 am

Just to update those following this thread. It turns out Twaves has an Intermatic HA23 older USB stick and my guess is that the stick and firmware have a problem with the ControlThink SDK. Since ControlThink is no longer supporting the SDK it is not like that bug is going to be fixed.

TWaves is going to purchase a ControlTHink USB stick to see if it remedies the problem.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander