Beautiful piece of software

Forum to discuss Lightswitch/ZWave Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android home automation application

Beautiful piece of software

Postby ryguy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am

I just purchased the Iphone ZWaveCommander app, and installed the server on my PC last night. This is a brilliant, beautiful piece of software. I've been working with Z-Wave devices and controls for a couple of years now (both personally and professionally), and there are a lot of options out there. But frankly, most of them suffer from design and stability issues. While I've only had the ZWaveCommander installed for less than 24 hours, I'm blown away by its simplicity, elegance, and the reliability. Just as important, I'm very impressed with the author's level of responsiveness on the forums for all sorts of questions/issues. - That is just plain rare.

I don't know what the future for Z-Wave is as an industry (it seems to be getting abandoned by several big companies), but anyone who has a Z-Wave network & Iphone SHOULD USE THIS SOFTWARE. It's fantastic.

I wanted to say thank you to the author for a awesome product, and great customer service. You have a melloware customer for life, and I'll be looking into your other products too. I'll also be telling anybody/everybody I know using Z-Wave to buy this!!!
ryguy

Re: Beautiful piece of software

Postby Melloware » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks for the compliments!!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby tbeauntx » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:23 pm

I have to chime in and agree. The thin simple interface, and the plug-ins make this something that no big manufacturer seems to be able to replicate at any cost. Currently i run 1 copy of ThinkEssentials and Zwave Commander on a dedicated netbook with 2 thinksticks along with prowl to send push notifications of events to my iphone. With this combination, I have simultaneous time-based scene control, and manual remote control globally. I am also able to control my thermostat, hot tub, and garage door not to mention theater lights and I'm able to see the states of these devices and be notified when they are turned on or off when i'm not at home. All with security and flawless, stable performance. What's even more impressive is the low cost:

1) Dedicated refurb netbook: $235
2) Zwave Commander: $15
3) Prowl App: $3
4) ThinkEssentials/Thinkstick Combo: $45
5) Extra Thinkstick: $36
Total Cost: $334 for all this control functionality. Arguably, you can take the netbook cost out of that total amount, since this can run on any computer you already have and want to leave running. I chose to lock down an appliance for it and have all resources applied to TE/ZWC/Growl and security so i'd have the best set it and forget it performance possible.

I also use Dynamic DNS so that i don't have to manage IP address changes by my ISP...That was free and was built into my router anyway.
Before i tried all of this, i tried to take the route of least resistance (i thought) to buy a prepackaged solution, and tried the following:

1 Hawking Gateway - complete crap, No support offered whatsoever, and it does not connect to the web server it is supposed to use for control...further, they don't tell you on the box that for it to work at all there are monthly fees - for a website that is evidently down 90% of the time anyway. Bottom line - does not work at all. I returned the unit to the store i bought it at for a full refund.
2 Vera - another overwhelming disappointment. First of all, based on their emails to me, many of the features they claim to have built in do not work, or when they say "is supported", they mean you must write your own code for it. Furthermore they told me they have no intention of supplying said features but keep on advertising them anyway. Also, the currently shipping version has no routing functionality...every router feature required must be turned on by downloading open source software to plug in that feature, and ALL LINKS in their interface to the proper software are broken...every one of them. If you try to use the router functionality you will brick the device beyond recovery, and they wouldn't pay return shipping for the falsely advertised piece of crap either.

Everything else out there has poor user ratings for compatibility, limited functionality, or both, and all cost a lot more. Please keep supporting what you've done with this app regardless of the apparently questionable state of things at Leviton/Controlthink. You can do 90% of anything you'd want to with their current software/hardware and your app, even if you have to use a few different applications to get it all done...they all work well together anyway.

I can't say enough how great a job was done with this app!
tbeauntx

Postby Melloware » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:34 am

That is great to hear. Especially because I have tried and tried and tried to work with the Micasa Verde guys to add support in their router for my iPhone app and they have refused. They keep asking me to rewrite my application to work with their architecture but their documentation is almost non-existent and I don't feel like learning a new programming language called LUUP.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Hopefully you won't mind doing an Itunes AppStore review!
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to Lightswitch/ZWave Commander