Limit the list of playlist

Forum to discuss MonkeyTunes DACP Server for MediaMonkey

Limit the list of playlist

Postby kismetcow » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:50 pm

I have a number of smart playlists in my MM library that I use as feeder lists to the playlists I actually want to play. For instance, I have one called "Not poorly rated" and another called "Not since nine months" which both feed into a list of "Consider these" (which I display as Art) to let me pick an album that (a) has good tunes on it which (b) have not been played in a while.

MonkeyTunes serves them all up, and unless the client displays the playlists in the same collapsed tree format I have on MMW, the list of playlists is a mess.

I'd like to tell MonkeyTunes, THESE are the playlists to serve up; don't show the others.
kismetcow

Re: Limit the list of playlist

Postby Melloware » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 am

Unfrotunately same answer as in my other post. The Apple Remote or Retune for Android are dumb clients meant for iTunes. There is no control over their behavior they are expecting a Playlist to be a Playlist to be a Playlist.

The awesome power of MM though has the concept of dynamic playlists that many other players including iTunes don't have. So if you select the MM AutoPlaylist like "Songs Never Played" it might query the database and return 50,000 songs.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby kismetcow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:23 pm

You make me regret spending the money. You absolutely could implement a filter on your side; you control what you serve.
kismetcow

Postby Melloware » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 pm

kismetcow wrote:You make me regret spending the money. You absolutely could implement a filter on your side; you control what you serve.

So you want some way of telling MT not to serve certain playlists? Is that your basic requirement?

Or would it be don't serve any "dynamic" playlists? Because I could implement a switch that says don't send dynamic playlists but adding the ability for you to pick and choose which playlists get sent means now I need to persist that list somewhere and keep track of it which I would prefer not to do.

I don't mind adding it as a feature if you specify exactly what you had in mind.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby kismetcow » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Melloware wrote:So you want some way of telling MT not to serve certain playlists? Is that your basic requirement?

Yes.

Melloware wrote:Or would it be don't serve any "dynamic" playlists? Because I could implement a switch that says don't send dynamic playlists but adding the ability for you to pick and choose which playlists get sent means now I need to persist that list somewhere and keep track of it which I would prefer not to do.

Well, the dynamic playlists generally are what I want to play.

Ideally, you would simply query MM to find out which lists I have shared over UPnP, and serve the same ones. But I don't know if you have programmatic access to that information.

A workaround would be to have me create a MonkeyTunes playlist, with child lists that are the ones you serve. That's a little hacky, but it's probably easier than setting up a UI or whatever to select the desired playlists.
kismetcow

Postby Melloware » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:53 am

Yeah unfortunately when I ask MM for its playlists it just returns me a list there is no way to tell them apart. I exluded the "Imported" ones because a lot of users were complaining that those imported playlists were filled with junk when MM scanned their directories and found old Winamp .m3u playlists in the directories etc.

So I was thinking of just adding a switch in MonkeyTunes.xml that allows you to show those Dynamic ones again. Thoughts?
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to MonkeyTunes for MediaMonkey