sweet app

Forum discussing Intelliphone iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android Client for Intelliremote

sweet app

Postby gizakon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:48 pm

First off, I have to say you did a really good job in making this app easy and intuitive to setup. Much kudos, granted I'm an experienced HTPC tinkerer who uses macro programs, girder, usbuirt, x10 automation, voice command control, logitech harmony remote, etc to find neat and fun ways to provide input and output to my devices. So my understanding of the simplicity goes far when I say, wow...this is easy to work with! I do have a few praises and a few suggestions (some previously mentioned) that I'd like to communicate and hopefully contribute in making the app better.

First off, I will be honost and say I have NOT dived into all the features of intelliremote/intelliphone software YET. This is due to an installation issue on my main HTPC which not only is my primary media center, but also controls my USBUIRT and X10 devices. I even downloaded 2 different versions in hopes that the issue would go away, but I still get a crash message from Windows upon installation - "Windows has encountered an error....application needs to close...etc". If there is anything I can do to provide insight to resolving it, please let me know. Instead, I tested it out on my bedroom htpc which mainly runs my Beyond TV Link. Where it installed just fine...

Quickly after playing with it, I encountered the same issue others have pointed out... small buttons. While it is nice to have access to as many buttons as possible, it's tough trying to avoid accidentally pressing the wrong button. I see you have remedied this situation with the landscape view, which will definitely help, but like others have said, it turns the iphone remote into a 2 hand remote. There is a reason the design of the average remote control has not changed, and it's because of the ergonomic ease of using a remote, 1 handed, with the primarly used buttons placed in the center where the thumb will rest. Study a few of the logitch remotes to see what I mean, or just pickup an old remote and you will see. Personally, I would LOVE if I had to option to create my own layout/skin of the buttons myself, and label them to what they really are instead of programming MCE green button to "open Beyond TV" and then memorizing that is what it's programmed to. Even worse, how am I gonna remember what "media" buttons do what to my all my x10 appliances? Another suggestion would be to add pages that you can swipe to, or an App area at the bottom (just like how the iphone already does) could allow you open/focus your most commonly used windows apps would be handy. I understand that the primary focus is to keep it simple, but there are a few tinkering juggernauts like myself who would truly benefit from being able to customize this app. Maybe the software can have a Simple and Advanced mode like many other apps have these days.

A lot of the other gripes I had appear to be already thought out in the next release (which I can't wait for!). One of them being "zones". I already mentioned I had multiple PC's I use as media centers and this will definitely help...the only concern I had was managing the IP addresses. Is there a way to use computer name instead? I mean, I'll static my IP's if I have to, but it seems it would be easier for users to just enter in host name. If not, I think it would be useful on the intelliremote app's mainscreen to indicate the IP address for users who are not familiar with finding out their own IP address.

Keyboard & Mouse - OMG awesome. I especially can't wait to be able to use my touchscreen as a mouse. If it works as smoothly as a touchpad on a laptop it would be awesome. My bedroom media center has a keyboard with the little thumb joystick on it to act as a mouse, and no matter how much I use it, it still sucks! Thanks for adding this feature!

Manual profile swap and icon indicator is also a huge benefit included in the next update. I know when I was first tinkering around with macros and other window focusing apps, it was a little confusing. For first time users, this will help them understand that the buttons, that looks the same from app to app, now function differently, especially if you customized them to do something else then default.

One suggestion, once you get most your tweaks done is adding voice control. I remember using an app a few years back on my pocketPC (haha, remember them things?) that used the built in IR to blast signals to your TV/Amp/Etc with not only the touchscreen, but by voice command. Obviously, it had issues if you were watching a movie very loud, but it was still a nice novelty trick.

Question: what happens when 2 iphones try to connect to the same zone? My fiance has an iphone too, and this will benefit us until we start having to phonesaber battle who can control the TV lol.

You have a real killer app on your hands with a TON of potential...I'm excited in the possibilities it provides and plan to purchase it as soon as I can get it installed on my main HTPC hehe. 24$ is a steal for software this easy to setup and use, trust me, I've had to write my own instructions to re-teach myself how I have setup complex macros because I had to use more then 1 program and tie them all together. I'm sure I have a ton more ideas, suggestions, etc, but I don't want to scare ya off. I'll post more when they come to me.

p.s. I'm wired on caffeine, so I apologize if my typing/grammar is sporadic :P

steve/gizak
gizakon

Re: sweet app

Postby Melloware » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:02 pm

gizakon wrote:First off, I have to say you did a really good job in making this app easy and intuitive to setup. Much kudos, ... that I'd like to communicate and hopefully contribute in making the app better.

Thanks for the compliments...and I appreciate you offering to contribute! it's users like you who make it a better product.

gizakon wrote:This is due to an installation issue on my main HTPC which not only is my primary media center, but also controls my USBUIRT and X10 devices.

If I had to guess its some sort of DLL problem with having both X10 and USB-UIRT installed. Change this registy entry from INFO to DEBUG HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Melloware\Intelliremote\LogLevel and restart. then look in C:\Docs\USER\Appdata\Intelliremote\intelliremote.log. Maybe it will clue us in as to what is going on??

gizakon wrote:Quickly after playing with it, I encountered the same issue others have pointed out... small buttons.

I hear everybody about the "paging" of buttons. But my software motto is to slowly add features and get existing features REALLY TIGHT before I move on to code rearrangement and other thing required to page the buttons. I am saving that for a future release and working on core functionality for now.

gizakon wrote: Is there a way to use computer name instead? I mean, I'll static my IP's if I have to, but it seems it would be easier for users to just enter in host name. If not, I think it would be useful on the intelliremote app's mainscreen to indicate the IP address for users who are not familiar with finding out their own IP address.

Great idea on the IP address on the Intelliremote screen! Duh..i should have thought of that. And you CAN use hostname or IP address interchangeably on the Intelliphone settings.

gizakon wrote:Keyboard & Mouse - OMG awesome. I especially can't wait to be able to use my touchscreen as a mouse. If it works as smoothly as a touchpad on a laptop it would be awesome. My bedroom media center has a keyboard with the little thumb joystick on it to act as a mouse, and no matter how much I use it, it still sucks! Thanks for adding this feature!

It's pretty smooth. I think it will make everyone happy. My two beta testers were both very happy with both features and how they performed. You can throw away your old wireless keyboard and mouse you kept next to the sofa.

gizakon wrote:One suggestion, once you get most your tweaks done is adding voice control. I remember using an app a few years back on my pocketPC (haha, remember them things?) that used the built in IR to blast signals to your TV/Amp/Etc with not only the touchscreen, but by voice command. Obviously, it had issues if you were watching a movie very loud, but it was still a nice novelty trick.

I will have to see what is in the iPhone SDK...but I never even thought

gizakon wrote:Question: what happens when 2 iphones try to connect to the same zone? My fiance has an iphone too, and this will benefit us until we start having to phonesaber battle who can control the TV lol.

GREAT QUESTION. AS an executive design decision i only allow 1 connection to the PC at a time...all others get blocked. The reason I did this is because I was really worried about threading issues with say 2 or more phoens telling the PC to load a program or call an API etc. Could be real messy and it was a support issue i didn't want to deal with. What I can do is make it a registry entry "MaxConnections" that you could tweak at your own risk? I think everything would be OK if two people were connected, but had no way of really testing so I chose the path of least resistance.

gizakon wrote:p.s. I'm wired on caffeine, so I apologize if my typing/grammar is sporadic :P

No problem...welcome aboard!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:07 pm

gizakon wrote:You have a real killer app on your hands with a TON of potential...I'm excited in the possibilities it provides and plan to purchase it as soon as I can get it installed on my main HTPC hehe. 24$ is a steal for software this easy to setup and use, trust me, I've had to write my own instructions to re-teach myself how I have setup complex macros because I had to use more then 1 program and tie them all together.

Forgot to say thank you for this. I AM SO TIRED of flamers who think my software should be free and bad reviews on the Apple AppStore from either Mac Fanboys who don't understand why anyones needs a Windows app or people who think the app is useless. Flamers can wear down the soul.... So when I get a post like this at least it makes me feel a little better like I am on the right track...
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby gizakon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention.... the forum responses rock! It's so nice to be able to communicate your concerns and ideas and actually get replies. Maybe it's because the forum audience is still small, but hopefully you can keep up with it!

So yea - I will definitely look into the registry entry and logs to hopefully expose some insight to the problem. I really REALLY want it to work. I contemplated doing a full windows re-install, but with as many custom apps, macro's, and home control going on there, it will be a absolute last ditch effort. I will report my findings as soon as I get some more tinker time.

Also, thanks for the tip on being able to use the computer's host name. *whew*. Do you think that the zones will be renamable? That will help the lady in figuring out which HTPC she's controlling...not that I have more then 3 heheh.

Multiple clients connecting to a single host will be a cool extra option, thanks for considering it.

I think the only real downside to this app is when friends come over and ask for the remote...cause then I'll be without my phone lol. Me thinks the Harmony remote will still have his place in the living room hehe.
gizakon

Postby gizakon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:49 pm

quick update on the app install issue:

I decided to remote into my home media center really quick to try spitting out that log info. Unfortunately, it appears that neither the registry entry, nor app data for intelliremote directory exists on the PC. I assume due to the installation never actually making it that far.

gizakon

Postby Melloware » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:17 pm

gizakon wrote:quick update on the app install issue:

I decided to remote into my home media center really quick to try spitting out that log info. Unfortunately, it appears that neither the registry entry, nor app data for intelliremote directory exists on the PC. I assume due to the installation never actually making it that far.

Gotcha...no problem I can give you a custom install that doesn't actually use an installer...

Give me some time and I will PM you tomorrow.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby gizakon » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:03 am

Melloware wrote:Gotcha...no problem I can give you a custom install that doesn't actually use an installer...

Give me some time and I will PM you tomorrow.

That would be great, is it possible to transfer the application folder(s) from my working PC or does it tie into the OS somewhere? I know you can with some apps, but not all...i'm a network engineer, not a software guy hehe.
gizakon

Postby Melloware » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 am

Absolutely. Even though it uses an installer my application doesn't really rely on anything. You could copy the whole C:\Program Files\Melloware\Intelliremtoe folder to the other machine and just doubly click Intelliremote.exe and it should work. You will also need to copy any profiles you want from profiles.zip into C:\Docs\USER\AppData\Intelliremote :0

http://melloware.com/products/intellire ... ofiles.zip
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby Melloware » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Also in version 2.6.5 i have added two of your requests.

1. IP Address right on the Info Tab and in the log file to make it easier for people to find and for debugging.

2. Registry entry for TcpMaxConnections that will have no UI equivalent so you can try and connect more than one iPhone/iPod at your own risk. :0
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby gizakon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:34 pm

Cool, I'll look for that registry entry and then test it once I get my hands on the other iphone in the house lol.
gizakon

Return to Intelliphone