1.1 first impressions

Forum discussing Intelliphone iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android Client for Intelliremote

1.1 first impressions

Postby gizakon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:01 pm

NICE!!! I love the added features, the zones and wireless kb/mouse especially. The bigger buttons help a LOT too!

Mouse - wow, the response time is awesome, it moves instantaneously upon sliding your finger. My issue is accuracy seems a little off when I'm moving it slow...mainly I notice it when I move to the bottom of the iphone screen. It feels like a little bit of dead space around the edges...maybe this is intended? It's not too big of a deal, but right now I'm finding myself having to make multiple swipes on the iphone screen to get the cursor across my computer screen. Maybe I can mess around with mouse acceleration to alleviate it, but it would be nice if there was an option to tune the mouse speed a lil more.
The other thing I noticed, is I can't drag my windows. I place the cursor on the title bar, hold down left button and drag, but it doesn't "hold". Another way of accomplishing this on most laptop touchpads is by double clicking then holding on the title bar, but that didn't work either.

Keyboard - works great, fast as well. I like that I can look down on the iphone screen to see what I'm typing as well as on the computer screen. Excellent. I would like more keyboard keys if possible though...there is a lot of gray space above the keyboard, so maybe adding the arrow keys, tab keys, or such to move the cursor if needed, etc. Thankfully, I don't have to type THAT much on my media center hehe.

Zones - Havn't had a chance to test it fully(I'm still at work afterall lol)...but I did set my laptop to zone 4. I notice that when I open up the app on the iphone it fails to connect cause it can't connect to zone 1. I then hit the "i" button to select zone 4 and it works fine, but it would be nice if it tried to see if other zones were available. For example, upon starting up, connect to default zone 1, if can't connect either attempt other zones if defined, or ask user to select a zone. Or, make an option to connect to last zone used. Not a big deal, but would make for a smoother interface. I imagine most people will only have 1 zone.

Profiles - I like that I can manually change profiles on the iphone now - very useful, unless you use a ton of profiles...then you have to click the icon repeatedly many times to find the one you want, and say I accidentely click one too many times...I gotta cycle through them all over again! Maybe a scrollwheel box (like the one apple uses for selecting dates, ex: month/year) would be easier.

These are just a few quick suggestions, I really havn't had a lot of time to play with it since I'm not at home yet hehe. I still love this software and feel it's one of the best apps for the iPhone and makes my iphone worth THAT much more! I'm gonna go ahead and write a 5 star review for ya on the app store - and oh yea, I submitted the news to gizmodo.com (gadget blog) that your software has been updated. Hopefully they throw up a post. I want more people to know about this kickass app!

-gizak
gizakon

Re: 1.1 first impressions

Postby Melloware » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:12 am

Mouse - The corners and edges of the iPhone or iPod are actually not responsive to touch. I found that out the hard way. When you move your finger I move the mouse on the screen the same XY distance in pixels. The iPhone screen is 320x480 so there is no way one swipe would move it all the way across your 1024x768 computer resolution!

Keyboard - I didn't even think of that...just used the standard iphone keyboard! I could see how arrow keys could be useful.

Profiles - The scrollwheel box idea is great except it takes up SO MUCH screen real estate. I originally tried that but you can only make them so small..they have a huge minimum size.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am getting trashed on the AppStore and one of the developers/friends of MediaMote dropped a review on my site saying "this is too expensive so I bought MediaMote" which doesn't have 1/10 the functionality of Intelliremote.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby fmharr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:35 am

You Rock!

The key repeat is the CATS MEOW!

The thing that I miss the most from my old ATI Remote software is the Drag & Drop button.

You press the "Hand" button and it simulates you pressing and holding the left mouse button so that you can drag windows/icons around the screen.

So if you can add Drag/Drop in a future version it would be greatly appreciated!

The ATI Remote software also has profiles, but only allows you to remap the "ABCDEF" keys (sucks :( ).

The only thing wrong that I see with the keyboard input function is you can't delete something that you didn't type. For instance, if you put the cursor at the end of the url in the browser and start hitting the backspace key nothing happens. On a real keyboard, you will delete the character to the left of the cursor. Of course, you can select the entire string and start typing to replace it, but you might not always want to do this.

I noticed that if you are in Portrait mode and bring up the keyboard that there is not edit window on the iPhone. Maybe you can delete to the left in this situation. I have not tried this yet.

So far this app has been well worth the $24 I paid for it.

I also am going to provide a positive review in the App Store. :D

Mike
BTV 4.9b Sys:
A64 X2 4800+ , Gig Nic, 2g DDR, XP Pro SP2, 8600GT, PureVideo , DVD Plugin, PVR-150, HVR-2250, HVR-1950, 2 x HDHomerun, 50G Boot , 3.2 Tb video, Gyration Kb/Mouse , ATI Rmt, BOSE HTS, Sony XBR2 52 HDTV
fmharr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks for the quality review in the AppStore!

As for the keyboard not being able to backspace that is because the only way I can display a keyboard is to use a hidden text field. If nothing is in the text field the backspace is disabled. ON the landscape mode I am thinking of adding a few buttons like Backspace that you can do no matter what text you have or haven't typed but on the Portrait mode there really is not much space!
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby fmharr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Melloware wrote:Thanks for the quality review in the AppStore!

As for the keyboard not being able to backspace that is because the only way I can display a keyboard is to use a hidden text field. If nothing is in the text field the backspace is disabled. ON the landscape mode I am thinking of adding a few buttons like Backspace that you can do no matter what text you have or haven't typed but on the Portrait mode there really is not much space!

This works for me!

I have posted the review in the app store! (5 stars)

Now if only I had the drag & drop :)

Mike
BTV 4.9b Sys:
A64 X2 4800+ , Gig Nic, 2g DDR, XP Pro SP2, 8600GT, PureVideo , DVD Plugin, PVR-150, HVR-2250, HVR-1950, 2 x HDHomerun, 50G Boot , 3.2 Tb video, Gyration Kb/Mouse , ATI Rmt, BOSE HTS, Sony XBR2 52 HDTV
fmharr

Postby Melloware » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm

fmharr wrote:
Melloware wrote:Now if only I had the drag & drop :)

Let me work on that for 1.2. So if you click the hand button it locks the mouse in MOUSE_DOWN position until you click it again and it will send MOUSE_UP release command? I think I can do it.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby fmharr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Melloware wrote:
fmharr wrote:
Melloware wrote:Now if only I had the drag & drop :)

Let me work on that for 1.2. So if you click the hand button it locks the mouse in MOUSE_DOWN position until you click it again and it will send MOUSE_UP release command? I think I can do it.

Sounds good to me! You the Man!

Mike
BTV 4.9b Sys:
fmharr

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 pm

Update 9/30/2008:

- Mouse Screen: Click and hold down mouse so you can drag windows was successfully implemented last night.

- Keyboard Screen: Added ESC, TAB, BACKSPACE, ARROW KEYS to the landscape keyboard screen as they are useful windows keys that are not in the iphone keyboard.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby fmharr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:51 pm

Melloware wrote:Update 9/30/2008:

- Mouse Screen: Click and hold down mouse so you can drag windows was successfully implemented last night.

- Keyboard Screen: Added ESC, TAB, BACKSPACE, ARROW KEYS to the landscape keyboard screen as they are useful windows keys that are not in the iphone keyboard.

Great! I can't wait to test it!

Mike
BTV 4.9b Sys:
fmharr

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 pm

fmharr wrote:Great! I can't wait to test it!

So I have a hand pointer icon on the right and left side of the screen (for left or right mouse button). When you click it it holds either the left or right mouse button down. Then you can move your finger around on the screen and it holds the button down until you press that hand icon again to release the mouse button. I tested it by dragging a window around on the Windows screen last night. I think you will like it....
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby fmharr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:11 pm

Melloware wrote:
fmharr wrote:Great! I can't wait to test it!

So I have a hand pointer icon on the right and left side of the screen (for left or right mouse button). When you click it it holds either the left or right mouse button down. Then you can move your finger around on the screen and it holds the button down until you press that hand icon again to release the mouse button. I tested it by dragging a window around on the Windows screen last night. I think you will like it....

Sounds great. Will I be able to add this to my hand button on my ATI Remote Wonder X10 remote??

Mike
BTV 4.9b Sys:
fmharr

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:16 pm

fmharr wrote:Sounds great. Will I be able to add this to my hand button on my ATI Remote Wonder X10 remote??

Yes but not great.... In Intelliremote PC Server just change the Hand button to a Mouse Event who's button is "LeftDown". when you are ready to release you will need to set another button to "LeftUp" to release it.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby fmharr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Melloware wrote:
fmharr wrote:Sounds great. Will I be able to add this to my hand button on my ATI Remote Wonder X10 remote??

Yes but not great.... In Intelliremote PC Server just change the Hand button to a Mouse Event who's button is "LeftDown". when you are ready to release you will need to set another button to "LeftUp" to release it.

It should be possible to track the state of the Left Mouse button and if it is down and is pressed again to release it.

The Hand button acts as a Toggle for the Left Mouse Button:

Boolean m_LeftMouseDown = false;

If ( m_LeftMouseDown)
{
m_LeftMouseDown = false;
ReleaseLeftMouse();
}
else
{
m_LeftMouseDown = true;
SetLeftMouse();
}

This is how I do it in VS 2008 C# in my projects. Of course the Set/ReleaseLeftMouse() functions are place holders for the actual code to set the actual mouse states.

Mike
BTV 4.9b Sys:
fmharr

Postby Melloware » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Well up until now (6 years of Intelliremote) i have avoided tracking any state in Intelliremote. Every single remote button push knows nothing about any previous button push or any needed future button push.
Melloware Inc.
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby fmharr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:28 pm

Melloware wrote:Well up until now (6 years of Intelliremote) i have avoided tracking any state in Intelliremote. Every single remote button push knows nothing about any previous button push or any needed future button push.

No problem, when will I be able to get my hands on this version of Intelliremote with the "LeftDown/LeftUp" events?

Mike
BTV 4.9b Sys:
fmharr

Return to Intelliphone