iPad Bluesocket problems?

Forum to discuss the BlueSocket Authenticator for iPhone/iPod Touch

iPad Bluesocket problems?

Postby protonk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Has anyone tested this for the ipad? My suspicion is that the 3.2 iphone OS has the same problem as 3.0, so I'll have to d/l the boingo app and then the bluesocket app, but there is an added wrinkle. On my ipad I can't even get on a bluesocket network with the normal safari authentication. I'm not writing here because of that problem, per se (I know there are other, better people to talk to about that). But I do want to know if anyone has had positive or negative experiences w/ the authenticator app on ipad before I buy it.
protonk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: iPad Bluesocket problems?

Postby Melloware » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:32 pm

I have not tried it on an iPad yet, but my guess is you would need to use the same Boingo trick. Apple still has my request to add BlueSocket as a "Boingo"-like app is still in the Open status in their bugtracker!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
User avatar
Melloware
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11062
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Re: iPad Bluesocket problems?

Postby protonk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks. Becuase I'm silly I forgot my USB cable at home, so I'll have to go home, install the apps, come back tomorrow and offer some sort of report. That is unless someone posts an update in the interim.

:)
protonk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: iPad Bluesocket problems?

Postby Melloware » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:43 pm

protonk wrote:Thanks. Becuase I'm silly I forgot my USB cable at home, so I'll have to go home, install the apps, come back tomorrow and offer some sort of report. That is unless someone posts an update in the interim.

:)


I look forward to your update. :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
User avatar
Melloware
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11062
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Re: iPad Bluesocket problems?

Postby protonk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Ok, an interim report. First the initial problem of autologin (where a pseudo safari window pops up to start the login process) is present on the iPad as well as the iPhone. So the first thing I did was install the booing app. That allowed me to connect properly via safari AND allowed me to run the bluesocket login app without trouble.

A few questions.

1. Is it only necessary to run the boingo app once? Do I need to leave the app installed on the ipad in order for bluesocket to be able to run properly? Not to talk trash, but booing has a habit of connecting...more than I would like and without my explicit permission, so I don't like having the apps on there long than necessary.

2. Any chance that a "logout" button could be added to the app? This isn't really a problem on my PC alone, but when I want to go from pc to iPad/iPod to Pc again, I want the ability to logout on demand.

That is it for now, off to write a good review on the app store. :)
protonk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: iPad Bluesocket problems?

Postby Melloware » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:02 pm

protonk wrote:1. Is it only necessary to run the boingo app once? Do I need to leave the app installed on the ipad in order for bluesocket to be able to run properly? Not to talk trash, but booing has a habit of connecting...more than I would like and without my explicit permission, so I don't like having the apps on there long than necessary.


I believe you can uninstall the Boingo app. I think you just needed to run it once.

protonk wrote:2. Any chance that a "logout" button could be added to the app? This isn't really a problem on my PC alone, but when I want to go from pc to iPad/iPod to Pc again, I want the ability to logout on demand.

That is it for now, off to write a good review on the app store. :)


Unfortunately there is no way I know of to logout. Most bluesocket campuses just use 15 minutes of inactivity on that IP Address to automatically log you out. There was nothing that let you force a logout.

Thanks for the review!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
User avatar
Melloware
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11062
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Re: iPad Bluesocket problems?

Postby philh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 am

I joined this forum just to say THANKS for the solution to joining my campus network via the iPad. Yes, the Blue Connect app works on the iPad...after I followed your advice to install Boingo and open it first.

Strangely, the first time I used my iPad on campus it connected with no problem. The next time, and from then on, it would not. I was skeptical this solution would work, but I gave it a try and it worked! I'm glad that the App Store has not removed your app. It's really convenient to have.
philh
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 am


Return to BlueSocket Authenticator (closed)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest