X10Commander sending wrong House Codes/Units Codes CM17A

Forum to discuss X10 Commander iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android client for X10 Devices

X10Commander sending wrong House Codes/Units Codes CM17A

Postby joneskl » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:10 pm

It seems like the X10Commander is sending wrong House Codes/Units Codes on certain addresses.

I’ve been using X10 since Commodore 64 days. Good God, I and X10 are old :)

I have a known good working X10 system.

I haven’t tested all 256 house,unit combinations but here’s what I have so far.

House codes A,B,C,E,G,I,J,K,L and units all seem to work fine.

House Codes D, F, H seem to have issues. See the chart below for devices that get sent out.

My setup, Windows 7, 64 bit
X10 Firecracker – CM17A
X10 Commander 1.9.8.195 Driver CM17 Firecracker.

Everyone blames the software right away… why do I think it’s something in the code and not an environment issue?

1) These end devices are known good with the codes. They have been used for a long time.
2) I have a physical remote control HR12A Palm Pad that works correctly
3) The X10Commander codes are quite reliable and work without missing a beat. I mean, the correct codes, B2 On, works perfect every time. The incorrect codes below also work perfect every time,
except, the wrong device.
4) And, most importantly, I should have stated with this, I can use the Firecracker software on the same machine and all codes work fine. Stop the firecracker software and start x10Commander and
the bad house codes below happen. Stop x10commander, start firecracker software, all codes work fine.

I created a self contained environment and it reproduces the issues perfect every time.

This self contained environment is, A clean Windows 7 machine. CM17A, RF receiver sitting next to it, one X10 appliance module plugged into the same power cord with the receiver.

I’m NOT using any other software, android app, ios app with the x10commander. Just using the plain x10commader desktop for testing. i.e., right click, “turn on”, pick device to turn on (or off)

It works flawlessly with the firecracker software.
Stop firecracker, start x10commader, it works flawlessly with the good house goods and it works all the time with bad house codes except they are on the wrong addresses. I know that sounds confusing. I mean code D3 turns on and off C7 every time perfectly.
Exit x10commader, start firecracker software, works fine with all codes again.

Thus my conclusion there’s something in the X10commader house codes/ unit codes for D,F,H

I remember in Commodore 64 days (dinosaurs roamed the planet) I wrote programs for my x10 and I had to AND bits for the correct string. It sure looks like a bit problem but what do I know.
Did we lose a bit somewhere on these :)

I hope someone can reproduce this with the firecracker and let me know what you think.

And….. should have started again with this…. Love the X10Commader software. So Cool, So Fun, So functional to bring X10 to modern life…

House codes A,B,C,E,G,I,J,K,L and units all seem to work fine.
Code D+F seem to have the same issue/pattern. Code H a little different issue.

X10Commander --> Actual
Commander Code sent
D1 --> C5
D2 --> C6
D3 --> C7
D4 --> C8
D5 --> C5
D6 --> C6
D7 --> C7
D8 --> C8
D9 --> C13
D10 --> C14
D11 --> C15
D12 --> C16
D13 --> C13
D14 --> C14
D15 --> C15
D16 --> C16

F1 --> E5
F2 --> E6
F3 --> E7
F4 --> E8
F5 --> E5
F6 --> E6
F7 --> E7
F8 --> E8
F9 --> E13
F10 --> E14
F11 --> E15
F12 --> E16
F13 --> E13
F14 --> E14
F15 --> E15
F16 --> E16

H1 --> A1
H2 --> A2
H3 --> A3
H4 --> A4
H5 --> A5
H6 --> A6
H7 --> A7
H8 --> A8
H9 --> A9
H10 --> A10
H11 --> A11
H12 --> A12
H13 --> A13
H14 --> A14
H15 --> A15
H16 --> A16
joneskl

Re: X10Commander sending wrong House Codes/Units Codes CM17A

Postby Melloware » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:38 am

Hmmm I know the CM17 is serial port based are you using a real serial port or a USB->Serial Port adapter?

I know sometimes these USB to Serial adapters can be flaky that is why I asked!

That is really strange those 3 particular hour codes have issues.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Postby joneskl » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:51 pm

You're right, usb to serial can sometimes add a layer of flakey but...
My case is a real plain old DB9 serial port. (Dell T5500)

I can't image what on my end it could be but it can be something on my end. Especially since it's as a plain a setup as I can make it and the firecracker software works correctly.
I would love someone to try it on their end with a CM17A and plain old serial port and see what results they get.

BTW, Obviously I have other unused codes and just moved things to those codes and it works just fine so this is more a "I want to know" curiosity.
Awwwwwwesome product.
joneskl

Postby Melloware » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 am

You know this app has been going strong for 10 years. In all these years no one with a CM17 has ever mentioned this strange issue! I am stumped as to why it is.

Although I will admin I think about 80% of people are using a USB CM19A not the serial port kind. Not too many CM17's out there anymore! Let me know if you do figure it out though!
Melloware Inc.
http://www.melloware.com
Melloware
Site Admin

Return to X10 Commander